Best adventure books we've never heard of

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
adventurer

by adventurer » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:55 am

"The Rivers ran East" by Leonard Clark, published in 1953. A true story of adventure in the Amazon. Clark was the "real" Indiana Jones.

" Khyber Knights" by CuChullaine O'Reilly (aka Asadullah Khan). A true story of adventure in Asia (Pakistan & Afghanistan) by the guy who lived it.

tigerlilly

by tigerlilly » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:55 am

Life of Pi was with a tiger (hmph!)

It's hard to know what people haven't heard of, so I'll toss these into the pile:

Kon Tiki an old favorite
Full Tilt - Ireland to India on a bicycle by Dervla Murphy
The Long Way - Bernard Moitessier (sailing around the world)
Paradise Below Zero - Calvin Rutstrum - there is some good winter hiking tips (funny)
No Picnic on Mount Kenya - Felice Benuzzi One of my favorites. 2 guys break out of prison camp to climb the mountain

no avatar
stepya

High Infatuation

by stepya » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:30 pm

I liked high infatuation by steph davis - a great fresh perspective (and quick read) about climbing and travels along the world.

steph
ClimbingBeta.Org

peterd

by peterd » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:21 pm

I recommend 'The Sledge Patrol' by David Howarth. Microwarfare and epic journeys in East Greenland during the Second World War.

nonosepirate

Totally agree

by nonosepirate » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:51 am

Mark Doiron wrote:Okay, a lot of us have probably heard of it, and it certainly isn't of the caliber of some of the books that will be mentioned in this thread, but I mention it because it is absolutely, bar none, the funniest book I've ever read (and I read a lot): A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson. True story of how Bryson, after living in England forever, decides to reacquaint himself with America by hiking the Appalachian Trail. His backpacking experience before that: Zero. A hoot of a book that will have you laughing out loud every turn of the page. Has some good moralizing about the U.S. Forest Service and environmentalism, as well.

--mark d.

It has been a few years since I read this one but it still sticks out in my mind as being very out of the ordinary. Hilarious and awesome a must read.

Cookie Addict

by Cookie Addict » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:06 pm

MoapaPk wrote:Well, I've said it before, but: Dana's "Two years before the mast."

Gutenberg has it for free download

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/4277

Previous

Return to General