board shorts: huh, water repellent coating?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
MoapaPk

board shorts: huh, water repellent coating?

by MoapaPk » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:38 pm

In my never-ending quest to find nylon shorts with a zipper (waist size small), I have considered buying board shorts, chopping off 5" on each leg for patches, and hemming the raw edge.

However, I notice that most board shorts come with a "durable water-repellent coating".

The last thing I want is shorts that remotely prevent sweat from evaporating, but I understand how this would not be a concern to a boarder.

So are board shorts sweaty when used for hiking?

woodsxc

by woodsxc » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:06 am

Mine aren't.

DogFunk has what you need. If you wanna look for bargain basement prices, Whiskey Militia sells board shorts (among other things) SAC style.

Captain Beefheart

by Captain Beefheart » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:59 am

I have a couple pair of the newer style board shorts that have 4-way stretch. They are perfect for hiking. Check out the O'neill Freaks and the X-Cell stretch board shorts (my faves).

erykmynn

Re: board shorts: huh, water repellent coating?

by erykmynn » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:05 pm

MoapaPk wrote:In my never-ending quest to find nylon shorts with a zipper (waist size small), I have considered buying board shorts, chopping off 5" on each leg for patches, and hemming the raw edge.

However, I notice that most board shorts come with a "durable water-repellent coating".

The last thing I want is shorts that remotely prevent sweat from evaporating, but I understand how this would not be a concern to a boarder.

with a zipper. isn't that pretty common in a basic synthetic hiking short? or are they really hard to find?

but to go another vein with it, this short is nylon, tough, and comfortably stretchy http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=pr ... oq=&aqi=g1
and it has a zipper

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:10 pm

erykmynn wrote:
MoapaPk wrote:In my never-ending quest to find nylon shorts with a zipper (waist size small), I have considered buying board shorts, chopping off 5" on each leg for patches, and hemming the raw edge.

with a zipper. isn't that pretty common in a basic synthetic hiking short? or are they really hard to find?

but to go another vein with it, this short is nylon, tough, and comfortably stretchy http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=pr ... oq=&aqi=g1
and it has a zipper

I did find size small in some later entries, so I bit the bullet and ordered two kinds. Will report back if the hemming goes OK -- Thanks!

I clicked on the first 3 links of that search, and found the "deals" were for sizes XL and L only. I'd also like shorts in bright colors, but that is a secondary issue. I'd also like shorts that are actually short (not below the knees), but will re-hem if I don't have to pay $70 for them and THEY DON'T HAVE POCKETS NEAR THE HEM. The last is a deal-breaker.

drpw

Ignore Whiskey and dogfunk

by drpw » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:22 am

Firstly, there's been a trend in boardshorts to go shorter so you can find most that are suitable length easily if you just don't buy last years models. These are what I hike and climb in and I love them.

http://www.infinitysurfboards.com/7-boa ... ipper.html

They have 4 way stretch and a great fit. Also a plus is the button fly. You think a zipper fly is nice? Wait until you try the button fly. I especially love these shorts because during those summer trips right when you show up to a lake and find a good jumping rock you just drop your pack and jump in.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:23 am

MoapaPk wrote:I did find size small in some later entries, so I bit the bullet and ordered two kinds. Will report back if the hemming goes OK -- Thanks!

I clicked on the first 3 links of that search, and found the "deals" were for sizes XL and L only. I'd also like shorts in bright colors, but that is a secondary issue. I'd also like shorts that are actually short (not below the knees), but will re-hem if I don't have to pay $70 for them and THEY DON'T HAVE POCKETS NEAR THE HEM. The last is a deal-breaker.

I got them today. These prana shorts -- two styles-- really really suck. First, they are very expensive; I used to get 6 pairs from Land's End for the price of two prana. Second, one of the styles I ordered clearly showed a fly -- but when I got them, even though they have all the outward appearances of a fly, the actually opening is sewn shut inside. What perverted fashionista designed that? Third, the other style is bizarrely long -- they go below the knees. I'm going to spend 2 hours with a sewing machine to make $100 purchase less stupid.

America the fashion-obsessed-stupid, America the fat.

dskoon

by dskoon » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:59 am

Bummer. Now, send them back for your money and buy something better.

Captain Beefheart

by Captain Beefheart » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:58 pm

Most of the newer style board shorts are have a shorter cut. I guess the whole 80's OP thing is coming back?

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:21 pm

dskoon wrote:Bummer. Now, send them back for your money and buy something better.

Actually, my wife took over and cut off the lower 4" off each leg, took off the extra pockets, and now they fit great. Still have to figure out what to do with the shorts that have the fake fly.

Return to Gear