Bob Burd, Aaron Johnson and Dave K appreciation thread

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
SoCalHiker

Re: Bob and Aaron appreciation thread

by SoCalHiker » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:15 pm

mrchad9 wrote:Apparently Aaron is pretty much leaving SP.

Read his profile page:

http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1756

Thanks for reminding us...

After I read his farewell on his profile page I have to admit that it made me feel sad. Although I agree with basically everything he eloquently said about the temporary and fragile nature of the digital past, present, and future of SP, it made me angry at those who partly or largely are at fault for his decision.

I hope he will be happy at wherever his path will take him. Thanks for what you did. And although everything here on SP will vanish eventually (as you correctly pointed out), our memories and thoughts won't.

The following user would like to thank SoCalHiker for this post
anita, Arthur Digbee, Castlereagh

Sarah Simon

by Sarah Simon » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:03 pm

mrchad9 wrote:Apparently Aaron is pretty much leaving SP.

Read his profile page:

http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1756

I think Aaron's departure is a loss for SP, but I am still happy to be here and contribute what I can. It is unfortunate he felt the need to go, he helped make this site better in most of the ways it is strong today.

If anything can be learned from his departure... please folks, quit sending PMs to elves to complain about one thing or another (see his profile message). It's not worth it, only aggrivates those that are trying to build and enhance the site, and seldom accomplishes your objective anyway.

Many of us in the Colorado community have been especially stung by Aaron's departure. In addition to being a great guy, he was also our direct "seat at the table," if you will. I greatly admire, however, Aaron's low-key departure and selfless departure style. Low Key: No drama, no ultimatums, no "Should I leave or not...will you miss me?" forum posts. He just quietly and humbly snuck out the door. Honestly, I'm surprised a bit (no offense) that it took some folks so long to realize he was gone given his stature on the site. Selfless: He quietly handed over ownership of his excellent content to other members: No drama, no 'You must give me credit!" demands - he just handed his contributions over to other caretakers so the community could continue to benefit from those contributions.

Anyone who has had the honor of meeting Aaron in person, not just online, knows he is a one-of-a-kind with a heart of gold. He's not just a former SP Elf. He's a husband, a father, a damn solid mountaineer, and an all-around great man.

Yes, I agree with Chad's assessment that while Aaron's departure is a huge loss...SP will continue to live on and we should, well, do right by Aaron's legacy by continuing to contribute great content to the site.

In the meantime - I guess there's some comfort on my end knowing Aaron & his lovely mountain climbing wife are pretty much right up the road from me and while I miss seeing him on SP, I can always visit the high country with this dynamic duo.

PS: It amazes me the sense of entitlement some community members apply to using SP...which reaches its lowest form in abusing the volunteer Elves when one does not get ones way. Pathetic vermin. "Lead, follow...or get out of the way."
Go climb a mountain

The following user would like to thank Sarah Simon for this post
JasonH, mrchad9, SoCalHiker

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:05 pm

Aaron is indeed a stand up first rate dude in my book.

He has kept faith in me and constantly reminded me that I should do the same in myself and not allow my professional integrity to be tarnished by anyone.

He'll be around..... LURKING!

You better or I'll come out to CO and kick your ass, boy!

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:50 pm

Can someone PM me Aaron's new e-mail? His old (2009) e-mail bounces. Maybe he wants privacy; I just want to invite him to finish up some peaks down here.

Thanks.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:20 pm

Stalker.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:22 pm

mrchad9 wrote:Stalker.

Numismatist.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:27 pm

I last saw Aaron on this one:
and I owe him this one:

By Grabthar's hammer, I will avenge you!

;)

Stu Brandel

by Stu Brandel » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:49 am

Much Obliged for everything Guys.

Garfimi

by Garfimi » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:51 am

Thank you Aaron and Bob. This website has lead me to some wonderful places. Aaron you will be missed.

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:15 am

sarah.simon wrote:I greatly admire, however, Aaron's low-key departure and selfless departure style. Low Key: No drama, no ultimatums, no "Should I leave or not...will you miss me?" forum posts. He just quietly and humbly snuck out the door.

Yep, apparently Aaron is not another tiresome SP attention whore.

sarah.simon wrote:Honestly, I'm surprised a bit (no offense) that it took some folks so long to realize he was gone given his stature on the site.

Less than a couple weeks ago, he posted to his Utah SP gathering thread with an update about the evening hike and dinner. Then just last weekend I managed to include wifey and DayHikerJr for the 1000-mile round-trip drive to meet and hike in Arches National Park. No mention was made of leaving SP. But I don't talk much about the Internet when I'm hiking either.

DayHikerJr, my wife, and I had a great weekend trip to a beautiful place that we had not been to in a few years, and it was all because of Aaron and his idea. So thanks, Aaron!

mrh

by mrh » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:08 pm

Sad to see this.

On his profile page he mentions "things coming for SP that he doesn't want to be a part of"? What could that mean?

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:12 pm

I'm guessing there will be a mandatory body cavity search.

The following user would like to thank MoapaPk for this post
mrchad9

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:37 pm

Day Hiker wrote:Less than a couple weeks ago, he posted to his Utah SP gathering thread with an update about the evening hike and dinner. Then just last weekend I managed to include wifey and DayHikerJr for the 1000-mile round-trip drive to meet and hike in Arches National Park. No mention was made of leaving SP. But I don't talk much about the Internet when I'm hiking either.

DayHikerJr, my wife, and I had a great weekend trip to a beautiful place that we had not been to in a few years, and it was all because of Aaron and his idea. So thanks, Aaron!

I was actually going to stick around and climb with Liba on Sat as she had planned on that hike with you guys....but after losing my camp site I had all week....and a friend who works the Arches gate telling me it was nuts.....all official camping full Thursday night on through....I took off back to St. George on Friday.....some teacher 4 day holiday deal....all I could see were hoards of tourists descend on Moab, just about the busiest I have ever seen it Thursday night, could not imagine what Friday looked like.....our weak dollar and the economy must really be pushing folks back into National Park visits (vs Europe, Canada or Mexico I imagine). Will be interesting to see 2010 numbers. You should have seen quite the crowd in Arches I imagine.

Castlereagh

by Castlereagh » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:04 pm

I wish I had vacation days for Moab; Southern Utah is definitely one of my favorite places in the world.

DayHiker, did you or any other SP'ers venture off and do any other hikes or climbs in that area? Those Delicate Arch pics definitely seemed crowded, but you guys could've definitely gotten away from them pretty easily.

PreviousNext

Return to Site Feedback