Boise vs Albuquerque

Minimally moderated forum for climbing related hearsay, misinformation, and lies.
colinr

Re: Boise vs Albuquerque

by colinr » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:23 pm

POLUKO wrote:I'm ok, just a black eye and some missing skin. Dentist is going to cost me a lot though.

I wasn't able to get a good description, more like just the clothes they were wearing and the generic racial appearance, since it was dark and it happened very fast. The police were lacking, in any tactical sense, to attempt to catch them since they were at the bottom of a cliff and facing the ocean. Only two ways out unless they started swimming with their over sized jeans hanging below their asses...not likely since I doubt they even know how.

The police told me they "scattered" and couldn't get them which really means they ran in one of two predicable directions. Lazy bureaucratic wastes of tax dollars are one reason people feel like they can mug someone and get away with it. Another reason is all of the effective self defense weapons are illegal here, giving thug free reign and forcing me to consider carrying something illegal to even up the odds next time. I wish I had my bear mace.

The police also were hesitant to even write a report about it because it might waste their time. This happens often enough so that they were complacent towards me. They also refused to give me rubbing alcohol for my wounds. However, the female cop did show some compassion but was lower ranking and didn't want to rock the boat I assume.

This is an ethics, spray and slander thread, “minimally moderated for climbing related hearsay, misinformation, and lies." Mountains were only a small part of the advice originally asked for and given. The thread has taken some interesting turns from early on. Through personal combinations of experience, wisdom, lack of interest, and lack of time, these kinds of threads have become less popular. The racial/ethnic/political comments throughout the thread are reminiscent of threads that have offended several readers and been moved to “Off-Route” or nuked.

POLUKO, your story and comments, as well as your desire to share them are understandable. They toe some lines, but could so easily fall into classic political crevasses that I’m somewhat surprised that responses have been sparse and moderate. Maybe people are taking these forums less seriously than in the past (a good thing IMO), or not reading the thread anymore.

I’ve heard many philosophies from the perspective of family members who have worked in law enforcement, courts, and education. I also could share all kinds of personal anecdotes, advice, and philosophies from living near apartments that are periodically swept for parolees/gang members, and also from working for years with low income middle and high school students, but instead, I’ll turn things more in the direction of the imaginative and entertaining “Teleportation” thread you started last week. After all, you are still making sense and seem to be maintaining a sense of humor.

Yoda: “Hard to see, the dark side is.”

Yoda: Yes, run! Yes, a Jedi's strength flows from the Force. But beware of the dark side. Anger, fear, aggression; the dark side of the Force are they. Easily they flow, quick to join you in a fight. If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi-Wan's apprentice.

Luke: Vader... Is the dark side stronger?

Yoda: No, no, no. Quicker, easier, more seductive.

Luke: But how am I to know the good side from the bad?

Yoda: You will know... when you are calm, at peace, passive. A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, NEVER for attack.

Luke: But tell my why I can't...

Yoda: No, no! There is no "why".

colinr

by colinr » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:28 pm

POLUKO wrote:Come at me bro

:lol: That picture reminds me of a younger version of a guy who used to roam this site.

I come a-zimba, zimba, zayo
I come a-zimba, zimba, zee

See him there (He's ev'rywhere), the Zulu warrior (He's ev'rywhere)
See him there (He's ev'rywhere), the Zulu chief, chief, chief
See him there (He doesn't care), the Zulu warrior (He doesn't care)
See him there (He doesn't care), the Zulu chief, chief, chief, chief

So, what forms of self-defense would be preferable if I am able to take my wife and kids on a loop though Yellowstone, Glacier, Idaho, B.C. and Alaska? I'll check out my friend's place in Boise along the way.

http://www.squidoo.com/self-defense-bear-mace-dog-bounty-hunter :wink:

colinr

by colinr » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:24 am

POLUKO wrote:
The cores of most US cities are more dangerous than most of southern AZ.

I totally agree! It's amazing how much power the media has over the public's perception. ... Overall data says to stay away from cities in general and you will be OK. Human beings are the most dangerous animals on earth.

I can sense that some people will be packing pepper spray and guns along the river trail where my dad rides his bike. Today's big story there is about a pregnant woman who went into premature labor (and gave birth) after some purse snatchers assaulted her and a friend on the trail last night, somewhat near the city's most famous man-made feature.
http://www.redding.com/news/2012/jun/21/pregnant-redding-woman-assaulted-near-sundial-brid/?partner=popular

I'll probably go somewhere less urban, take my dogs, and pay attention if I feel like hiking around at night. On a sadder note, an outdoor enthusiast actually died in broad daylight along the same trail recently (accident--fell and hit head).

This was a more enjoyable way to get some news about dangerous developments (nowhere seems safe anymore) :wink: :
http://www.colbertnation.com/full-episodes/wed-june-20-2012-daniel-klaidman

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:36 am

Geez .... how's come you's guys are always picking on Arizona ??? :?:

How come you're not PICKING with a pickax for lost gold in AZ's Superstition Mountains ... or on the south side of Italy ?

"Careful with that axe, Eugene ..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqV_ExWj-bw[/youtube]
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:18 am

I will be in Boise Sunday night if anyone wants to grab a beer...will be near the University

The following user would like to thank Dow Williams for this post
colinr

colinr

by colinr » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:18 am

lcarreau wrote:Geez .... how's come you's guys are always picking on Arizona ??? :?:

How come you're not PICKING with a pickax for lost gold in AZ's Superstition Mountains ... or on the south side of Italy ?

"Careful with that axe, Eugene ..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqV_ExWj-bw[/youtube]

You're right! We Californians got distracted by this dilemma (we don't actually want all the hippies to go away, just all the darn Oregonians):

As for the rest of you putting up with us Californians, I think the welcome has long been worn out (I give Californians a bad name):

Arizona? Italy? Well we all have volcanoes in common, but mining for gold in volcanic areas is not only unproductive, but you also have a small chance of experiencing an eruption. It's just that gold is so valuable right now that I caught some kind of fever. I feel safest in California, where you can't even use the word gun in a song without it being censored.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq-S8CIU7VA[/youtube]

It's all gonna be OK though. The mountains are calling and we've got them all over the west. 8)

colinr

by colinr » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:23 am

Dow Williams wrote:I will be in Boise Sunday night if anyone wants to grab a beer...will be near the University

Enjoy!

Cheers!

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:40 am

SeanReedy wrote:
lcarreau wrote:Geez ....

You're right! We Californians got distracted by this dilemma (we don't actually want all the hippies to go away, just all the darn Oregonians):

As for the rest of you putting up with us Californians, I think the welcome has long been worn out (I give Californians a bad name):

Arizona? Italy? Well we all have volcanoes in common, but mining for gold in volcanic areas is not only unproductive, but you also have a small chance of experiencing an eruption. It's just that gold is so valuable right now that I caught some kind of fever. I feel safest in California, where you can't even use the word gun in a song without it being censored.

It's all gonna be OK though. The mountains are calling and we've got them all over the west. 8)

Sean, it's ALL good! I'm just mad because the neighbor lady just went "traipsing off" to San Diego without me. For crying out loud ... :cry:

Far as (all)the gold in California goes, I typically find MORE gold in sunsets, particularly because I end up wimping out before having to get my hands dirty ...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nGgvFt2OVQ[/youtube]
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

TimB

by TimB » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:24 pm

My family moved from California to Idaho almost 40 years ago and people still give me funny looks when I tell 'em I was born in California.
Kinda like the 'Mark of Cain' I suppose...
:D

POLUKO

by POLUKO » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:27 pm

Sean Reedy,
I have zero interest in politics; my fingers are just minimally moderated as well. After all, this is only the internet and should be treated as such. Ones and zeros

Just calling it as I see it, once again, apologies if I offended anyone. Truly.

That yoda quote is quite beautiful, really, and mirrors what I have trying to convince myself of in the past few weeks. Glad you could package it up in a pleasant little paragraph.

To quote another great man well versed on of the dark side...

"If my answers frighten you...you should stop asking scary questions."

Cheers

colinr

by colinr » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:09 pm

POLUKO, nice dark side reference. Wow, I've been on here too much this summer; this thread is already a bit hazy. I remember feeling very entertained by it, but revived threads usually don't have a long second life. As far as offending anyone, it was mostly a warning that not too long ago lots of members complained about edgy stuff that was being posted. I often find that stuff fun when there is wit and intelligent humor mixed in. The element that really began to intrigue me was the concept that your story, about being jumped, was a clever play based on this thread and another, followed by you taking a break from this part of the internet. Whether real or not, it has been fun exploring the dark side of man from the safety of my recliner and I hope things are going well in your neck of the woods.

POLUKO

by POLUKO » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:45 pm

My story couldn't be more real and it never occurred to me that people would think otherwise. I wish it was BS and I may get creative in my writing style but I am nothing but sincere.

Things are well here, all healed up and back out on the trails. I hope things are well in Cali or Kazakistan, which I would love to visit. Are you from there? Would you consider it safe for a western tourist? I am always jealous of people who get to go to exotic places and mountains.

colinr

by colinr » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:12 pm

Poluko, sorry for casting doubt on the sincerity of a story none of us would wish to be true. Truth is often stranger and more interesting than fiction. I'm glad to hear all is well and see evidence of that in you taking my boldness and curious prodding in stride.

My Kazakhstan reference is not sincere. I, too, am interested in the mountains there and noticed the lack of SP members from there. I also am paying tribute to the spirit of exploring cultural perspectives and societal norms that some find humorously displayed by Borat. I am aware that some find Cohen offensive or all about shock value and I find his more recent stuff less interesting, but I get a kick out of humorous reflection on human behavior and attitudes.

Thanks for adding complexity to the perspectives in this thread. Have fun out there whether on the trails or off them.

Previous

Return to Ethics, Spray, and Slander