boots/crampons for hiking

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
rnrescue

boots/crampons for hiking

by rnrescue » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:41 am

I have a sturdy pair of Asolos that I really like - they are a mid weight boot that works well for all season hiking in the mid west. I want to learn to use crampons this season. Is it best to use a strap on type with the boots I have? If so, could you recommend a crampon?
Or ... Should I get a new set of boots that would work with better crampons? It would be nice to have a boot I could use early spring/fall as well as winter - I get hot feet really easily!
Thanks,
rnrescue

ExcitableBoy

Re: boots/crampons for hiking

by ExcitableBoy » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:23 pm

What do you plan on climbing? Frozen waterfalls? Big glaciated peaks in the Casacades? Hikes in the midwest? 14ers in the Co?

no avatar
rnrescue

by rnrescue » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:39 pm

Well for now I'll be training training training ... In the middle west.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:48 pm

rnrescue wrote:Well for now I'll be training training training ... In the middle west.

Then get a pair of running shoes.

The following user would like to thank ExcitableBoy for this post
rnrescue

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:55 pm

If they are mid-weight boots used for hiking, odds are you need to get strap-on crampons. Some like to wrap the straps around the ankles; for that, a taller (i.e. not low-cut) shoe is better. If the top of the boot is too soft, the straps may hurt your feet if tightened a lot. I personally prefer at least a 1/2 shank (or equivalent), else I don't feel secure on steeper snow. You probably won't feel comfortable--ever--with regular hiking boots for snow slopes above 40-45 degrees. (One camp holds that you should use hinged crampons with light, flex-soled shoes.)

Go to a store that sells crampons (e.g. REI), wear your boots, and try on the combinations. Most stores will even let you try on boots, walk over to the crampon section, and try the pairings. When you pick a pair, if there is no snow in your area, go to a park with grass turf and try walking around and adjusting the straps and center bar length until you are comfortable with the pairing. Basically, you want to be comfortable with the fit and adjustments long before you actually need them.

A lot of people have gotten used to wearing very light shoes with crampons. However, stiffer boots with stiff toe caps are much preferred for kicking steps. The boots don't have to be heavy.

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:57 pm

rnrescue wrote:I have a sturdy pair of Asolos that I really like - they are a mid weight boot that works well for all season hiking in the mid west. I want to learn to use crampons this season. Is it best to use a strap on type with the boots I have? If so, could you recommend a crampon?
Or ... Should I get a new set of boots that would work with better crampons? It would be nice to have a boot I could use early spring/fall as well as winter - I get hot feet really easily!
Thanks,
rnrescue

Go for some good strap-ons, they should work well on the boots that you have and on heavier mountaineering boots. You don't want to be using stiff mountaineering boots for hiking in the midwest, but can add (or rent) them later if you get a chance to do some glacier climbing. If you want to get into ice-climbing, that's another story - water ice isn't the same as glacier ice - although I've seen guys around here climbing water ice with horizontal front points.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:16 pm

Geez, the mid-west part just hit me harder. Do you really want crampons, or rather, something like Katoola microspikes? Will you ever be climbing sustained 30 degree+ slopes?

no avatar
rnrescue

by rnrescue » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:36 am

MoapaPk wrote:Geez, the mid-west part just hit me harder. Do you really want crampons, or rather, something like Katoola microspikes? Will you ever be climbing sustained 30 degree+ slopes?

Well - good point. I certainly hope to be doing so soon, and think that I can at least an effort on training here in the Midwest.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:00 pm

The more appropriate question is what are you training for? What mountains/peaks/routes are you planning on climbing with your boots/crampons? Are you planning on staying in Wisconsin or traveling to climb?

dadndave
Forum Moderator

by dadndave » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:28 am

The strawman is evil and must be punished,

BigMitch

by BigMitch » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:25 am

I suggest that you get yourself a good pair of mountaineering boots and a good pair of step-in crampons, for example, BD Sabertooths that you would use out west and train in those.

Is there a ski area west of Madison around Mt. Horeb? The Blue Mounds State Park provides plenty of vertical climb (900+ ft), at least on a road bike at the Horribly Hilly Hundreds.

Otherwise, drive up to Rib Mountain in Wausau and do laps on their ski hill. I think that slope is about 600 vertical feet.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:31 pm

Nice, but sure looks dated. Humor? I haven't bought separate straps for crampons in a long tome. Almost all strap-ons now come with their own, easy-to-handle straps, with heel and toe harnesses.

dadndave
Forum Moderator

by dadndave » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:48 pm

That's true. Grivel G10 and G12 for example, butI wasn't being funny. The link provides a good illustration of how to strap an old style crampon properly with the heel crossover substituting for a modern heel bail.

I'm actually thinking of using strap ons in NZ this year so that I can go from trailhead to summit on a not-too-technical peak using just one set of boots (Bestard Spider K) My Evolution K's are much more crampon compatible but not great for walking long distances. It's long walk in and approach so the less I have to carry, the happier I'll be.
The strawman is evil and must be punished,

BigMitch

by BigMitch » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:10 am

I have a couple pairs of those strap-on crampons hanging on my gear wall. Not used them in 10 years.

One should be able to buy them cheap off of eBay.

no avatar
mtnjim

by mtnjim » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:51 pm

For an all-around, multipurpose, jack-of-all-trades type crampon that can be used with just about any footwear, I'd recommend the Black Diamond Contact strap-on.

I've seen them used on Everest and have used mine with plastic mountaineering boots on Chimborazo and others in Ecuador and fooled around with them in Colorado on class 3+ water ice on flexible hiking boots, used them to stroll from Austrian hut across the glacier to the start of Mt Kenya's Nelion route. The low plastic heel bail will allow them to fit on trail runners as well. The built in anti-balling plate is a nice feature.

They should take you to the place from where you can decide what you want to move up to, if you need anything more at all.

Next

Return to Gear