Bought Some Skiis, Now I need the rest

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Paul82

Bought Some Skiis, Now I need the rest

by Paul82 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:36 pm

Hello, to start off, I'm a noob in the ski department. I know a little, but I'm looking for some advice from the more experienced.

I picked up a pair of used Atomic TM:X 184s for $80. I'm looking to use them for backcountry approaches, such as the Whitney MR Route. I'm looking for some bindings and some boots. I saw a guy once that had some bindings that telemarked and he could lock them down for downhill. I never asked for the name tho?

As for boots, I dread the thought of having to lug my Nepal Evos with me when we mountaineer. So can I either A.) Use a ski boot that accepts my fully mechanical crampons? or B.) Get a set of bindings that my Nepal Evos will fit into?

I would like the support of a ski boot, but also some flexibility as I would have with my Nepals when climbing.

Thanks!

Kai

by Kai » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:21 pm

finckster

by finckster » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:39 pm

It sounds like what you want are some randonee/AT boots and bindings. The bindings will allow you to have a free heel for ascending, but you'll be able to lock down your heel for the descents. The boots should be compatible with your crampons, and will have both "walk" and "ski" modes. You'll need skins too.

no avatar
mconnell

by mconnell » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:25 am

Bottom line is that you aren't going to find a pair of boots that work well for both skiing and climbing. You can get bindings that climbing boots will lock into, but skiing really sucks in climbing boots. AT boots are great for skiing, but are not comfortable for climbing in. I've done some vertical ice in AT boots and that wasn't bad, but I wouldn't want to hike very far in them.

I have AT bindings that will accept both types of boots, and select boots based on what the "main" activity is going to be.

Paul82

by Paul82 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:20 pm

THanks for the advice guys!

Well I snagged a pair of Scarpa TX's off ebay for $255. They fit a NTN or TLT binding system.
http://www.scarpa.com/scarpa.php

So what do you guys recommend for bindings?

timfoltz

by timfoltz » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:20 pm

If im looking at the correct boots it looks like you got tele boots. Therefore get yourself some tele bindings. Cant really help you with specifics, but you should be able to find some used bindings for about $80. I have been looking at getting into tele skiing and thats about the best price i have seen.
Good luck!

finckster

by finckster » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:43 pm

Those boots can be used for tele or AT, but in specialized bindings. NTN = new telemark norm, not your typical tele cable bindings. TLT is an AT binding. It'll be harder to find cheap bindings in either of these types I'd imagine.

Paul82

by Paul82 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:45 pm

Thanks again guys!

I'm thinking I'll pick up another pair of used skis and have 1 set for tele and another for doing approaches. Then depending on the approach and mountain we do, I'll either opt for the TX boots, my Evos, or both.

In the meantime, I need to just get back into skiing and keep my ass off of the snow. :lol:

Paul82

by Paul82 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:50 pm

I talked to backcountry.com and they said that my Scarpa TX's will fit the 22 Designs "Hammerheads," which were previously mounted on my skis.

What is the pros and cons of using a tele binding, like the hammerheads, for ski mountaineering? Versus AT bindings?

THanks!

Autoxfil

by Autoxfil » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:17 am

Tele skiing is much harder. If you're going to dive into the backcountry without learning how to tele at a resort, you might end up in a bad way. AT is just like regular alpine gear once you lock the hill and point downslope, so it's more noob-friendly.

Return to Gear