California is the Best.

Minimally moderated forum for climbing related hearsay, misinformation, and lies.
rhyang

by rhyang » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:17 pm

Green acres is the place to be.
Farm livin' is the life for me.
Land spreadin' out so far and wide.
Keep Manhattan, just give me that countryside.

New York is where I'd rather stay.
I get allergic smelling hay.
I just adore a penthouse view.
Dah-ling I love you but give me Park Avenue.

...The chores.
...The stores.
...Fresh air.
...Times Square

You are my wife.
Good bye, city life.
Green Acres we are there.

:mrgreen:

MarthaP

by MarthaP » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:26 pm

...and praise be that CO isn't NEARLY as crowded as CA!

MarthaP

by MarthaP » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:34 pm

Foss - I wouldn't give Boulder quite that big a compliment. Berkeley has a much more open feel to it, philosophically, intellectually, culturally, globally. The folks in Boulder are just stuck-up (in a non-competitive way). Any interactions I've had with residents point to the well-known fact that the universe revolves around them - and it's the dickens to get them to meet you half-way. Too many trusties, I guess.

MarthaP

by MarthaP » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:35 pm

goldenhopper wrote:
MarthaP wrote:...and praise be that CO isn't NEARLY as crowded as CA!

That was my point about California circa 1930's. Still, it's better than the "dirt hill" state.

Hmmmm, I BELIEVE they're called the Rocky Mountains, not the Dirt Hills.

erykmynn

by erykmynn » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:40 pm

I lived about 15 years in Texas and about 5 in California.

Guess which one I prefer...

cp0915

by cp0915 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:45 pm

MarthaP wrote:I'll take the Canadian Rockies or Bolivia or the Alps over CA any day meself.

I've been pondering along these lines myself lately. And here's what I came up with:

Having climbed in the Canadian Rockies, the Washington Cascades, the B.C. Selkirks, the Swiss Alps, the Tetons, the Colorado Rockies, the Andes of Peru, Ecuador and Argentina, and the Sierra Nevada -- I used to think that nothing could beat the Cascades. But then I came to realize that the fantastic weather, awesome granite, inspiring views and wide variety of hiking/scrambling/climbing options make the Sierra the best all-around climbing playground (that I've been to) in the Americas.

Go CaliforniaPost.org!

fossana

by fossana » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:49 pm

MarthaP wrote:Foss - I wouldn't give Boulder quite that big a compliment. Berkeley has a much more open feel to it, philosophically, intellectually, culturally, globally. The folks in Boulder are just stuck-up (in a non-competitive way). Any interactions I've had with residents point to the well-known fact that the universe revolves around them - and it's the dickens to get them to meet you half-way. Too many trusties, I guess.

Having lived in the E Bay for 15 years, I wouldn't give Berkeley that much credit ;) There's a liberal snobbery to Berkeley as well. Both are image conscious but in different ways.

Boulder: What?! you only did a 35 mile road ride? I wouldn't waste my time doing anything under 50.

Berkeley: What?! you used oyster mushrooms in the Alice Waters mushroom frittata recipe? I wouldn't think of using anything but chanterelles.

MarthaP

by MarthaP » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:30 pm

I believe the title of John Denver's song is "Rocky Mountain High," not "Sierra Nevada High." :lol: I daresay the latter has its, uh, own state definition. 8)

Carry on.

JHH60

by JHH60 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:37 pm

Sierra rock is some of the best but it's a minimum of 4 hrs from my house in the Bay Area. And there's great alpine ice in the couloirs but the closest one is almost 6 hrs. And in the winter there's good water ice climbing for a few weeks every year but it's 8+ hrs (since 120 is closed). And you can climb a glaciated cascade volcano if you're willing to drive 5 hrs. And the scuba diving is some of the best in the world, but it's 2+ hrs. All the great outdoor stuff I love to do, but it's all 2-8 hrs away. If I had to do it all over again I might move to Seattle (or just have stayed in Boston) where you have culture, good food, jobs, and the rock, snow, ice and ocean are all nearby.

rhyang

by rhyang » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:44 pm

Yes -- please move along to Colorado and Washington .. California is full. Thanks 8)

JHH60

by JHH60 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:51 pm

rhyang wrote:Yes -- please move along to Colorado and Washington .. California is full. Thanks 8)

It's full of a lot of things - don't get me started on Prop 13, initiative insanity, and perpetually broken budget.

cp0915

by cp0915 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:56 pm

JHH60 wrote:
rhyang wrote:Yes -- please move along to Colorado and Washington .. California is full. Thanks 8)

It's full of a lot of things - don't get me started on Prop 13, initiative insanity, and perpetually broken budget.

C'mon, man, you're gonna get this thing moved over to PnP! Let's keep it on-topic -- Spray and Slander!

rhyang

by rhyang » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:59 pm

JHH60 wrote:

Yep, this state sucks. Hear that everyone ?? Don't move here .. it's a horrible place to live ! Nothing to do any time of year :mrgreen:

fossana

by fossana » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:03 pm

JHH60 wrote:

True, but CO seems to be catching up. My 36 acre lot in Lyons (stupid impulsive purchase) just got reassessed by the county and I'm looking at paying the same amount in taxes as if I had the land plus a $500K house on it. If, however, I fence it in and let livestock graze on it (instead of elk) then it drops to <$100 a year.

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:12 pm

Squishy wrote:

Can't help it if there's more people here than anywhere else in the states...

More people definitely does not equal better!!!!!

PreviousNext

Return to Ethics, Spray, and Slander