Can anybody ID this mountain?

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
desainme

Re: Can anybody ID this mountain?

by desainme » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:57 am

Trying to find this Enchanted mountain in Austria was pretty futile. It seems that the most popular mountain lake combinations are Moraine lake and its ten peaks along with Tetons over lakes or the Snake River in the foreground-Mt. Moran forms its own cadet Tetons pairing. Shuksan/Shuksan lake, Maroon Bells/Lake are a little less popular than the first 2.

I'm wondering if Bob Ross invented the genre, or if the Moraine Lake/ten peaks gave rise to Bob Ross.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:24 am

So which is the mountain in the background?

Looking at the map, it could be Skjang Kangri.

desainme

by desainme » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:33 am

Baarb wrote:So which is the mountain in the background? Tried using Google Earth but maybe the vertical resolution isn't quite there to get the topography right.

The slightly higher peak is the more southern one. Get to Lake Maurici, get on its north side and look south. I think the lake is about 7/10 mile long more of a large pond. lat 42.57 long +1 east. best view is from NW side of lake looking SE to double topped peak

Baarb

by Baarb » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:43 am

desainme wrote:
Baarb wrote:So which is the mountain in the background? Tried using Google Earth but maybe the vertical resolution isn't quite there to get the topography right.

The slightly higher peak is the more southern one. Get to Lake Maurici, get on its north side and look south. I think the lake is about 7/10 mile long more of a large pond. lat 42.57 long +1 east. best view is from NW side of lake looking SE to double topped peak

Aaah sorry, should have been more clear. I was talking about the K2 photo. Thanks for the info though!

sharperblue

by sharperblue » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:37 am

Actually, that shot from Kurt Diemberger's book must be mis-labelled; 2010 AAJournal has a contemporary shot of both mountains: that shot was absolutely taken from Jobo Rinjiang (Nepal) looking west towards the Lunag massif. The peak in the far background is Lunag Ri 1; Lunag Ri 2 in the foreground. Joe Puryear's climb; man, that guy is missed.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the tangible benefit of looking at too many mountain books whilst astride the pot :)

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:59 am

Els Encantats, Aigüestortes i Stany de Sant Maurici NP, Catalan Pyrenees, Spain:

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Encantados (in Spanish). Almost nobody call them Los Encantados :roll:

TheImagewizard

by TheImagewizard » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:56 am

It looks a lot like Gnome Tarn Enchantments, in the Lower Enchantments in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness. It's about 15 miles or so Southwest Leavenworth, WA.

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:31 pm

dhv wrote:Hallo!
I have exactly the same question about a Mountain. As I register here, I saw this topic, so A am asking here, not to make another one.
I have this picture from old Russian book about mountains. The description there is "Qogori (K2), Second highest mountain in the World".
original:

Being an old (Soviet?) book the photo would be from the 1976 Polish climb of K2's NE ridge, which is why the angle is slightly different from the usual shots from the Abruzzi (SE) Ridge.

The sharp snowy 'mountain' with the climbers on it is just a peak along the NE ridge of K2. You can see the same, or nearby, terrain on the cover of the May 1979 National Geographic magazine which featured the 1978 American climb of the NE ridge. The Polish did not summit, though they climbed all the ridge. The Americans climbed the ridge then diverted left/south onto the top finish of the Abruzzi.

The peak in the background is:
- the north summit of Marpophong Kangri, the main summit is out of picture to the right. But...
- the leading chronicler Jan Kielkowski, who has published informative books on many of the main 8000er massifs, has it as Kharut North Peak, with Kharut's main summit just out of pic to the right.

Eberhard Jurgalski's data (8000ers.com) puts Kharut further south, and names the massif you see as Marpophong Kangri (aka KraBass Ri, in case it needs a 3rd name). EJ's data comes from the same data used for Google Earth, which is why the peak is shown as Marpophong Kangri on Google Earth.

But Kielkowski and his books are an authority on this stuff and he mentions no 'Marpophong Kangri' in his book. In the Himalaya and Karakoram there are often naming issues and confusion, but this one is a bit odd in that two recognised authorities have quite different results. Note that Jurgalski puts 'Kharut Kangri' further south, attached to the north side of Broad Peak. They can't both be right, but without checking with EJ I can't say if the discrepancy has since been resolved.

The British company Adventure Peaks took at least one expedition to try one of the Kharut Peaks, maybe 10 years ago, but did not summit the main summit.

Here is part of the Google Earth view that matches your old photo.
Attachments
kharut.jpg
kharut.jpg (109.49 KiB) Viewed 2898 times

no avatar
OlympianLady

by OlympianLady » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:43 pm

Sawtooth Mountains, Idaho, USA

surgent

by surgent » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:39 pm

bump