Chain Control in Yosemite

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
fatdad

Re: Chain Control in Yosemite

by fatdad » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:35 pm

I have an AWD Subaru and once stopped at Chinquapin by a control spot to put chains on. I thought it was pain but hey, rules are rules. So I climb out to put on chains and a ranger comes up to me and says very politely, "Sir, in your car, don't worry about it. You can go on ahead."

Last winter, up at Big Bear, I stopped at a similar chain stop. They noticed that my car has mud and snow tires (M + S) and told me not to worry about it.

The following user would like to thank fatdad for this post
colinr

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:28 am

Option #1: Buy and Carry a pair chains that fit your vehicle(regardless if your vehicle is 2X, 4 X 4 or AWD) so when and/or if you are ever asked by the folks at any Chain Control Stop to produce them and then do, subsequently allowing you to continue on your marry way.

OR

Option #2: Don't carry any chains regardless vehicle type then when and if you are asked to produce them at any Chain Control Stop, you can't, and then basically tell the CCS folks to kiss your ass, subsequently be told to turn around or remain in line for God knows how long (up to 48 hours in some cases here locally at the bottom of the Bishop Grade or up at Walker just north of Walker Pass).

Bishop/Minden area Motels and businesses love it when Caltrans/CHP impose and vigilantly monitor mandatory R2 and then R3 restrictions and the proverbial wise asses argue with the CHP. They did it over 12 times last season alone. On three occasions for over 48 hours due to high drift conditions as a results of blowing snow.

R2: Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles except four wheel/ all wheel drive vehicles with snow-tread tires on all four wheels.(NOTE: Four wheel/all wheel drive vehicles must carry traction devices in chain control areas.)

R3: Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles, no exceptions.
http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/wntrdriv.htm

Just thought I would add to obvious Option available. FWIW, as DSKOON posted, I too have, carry them all the time in both of my 4X4 Trucks and have had to actually put them on several times the past three seasons between Bishop and Lee Vining. Now back to my hiding....

The following user would like to thank The Chief for this post
colinr

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:43 am

If the OP winds up on 395 or anywhere else on the eastside he will have taken a very circuitous route from Oakland to Yosemite Valley.

colinr

by colinr » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:11 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf1FgOQ-36A[/youtube]

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:18 am

The Chief wrote:Option #1: Buy and Carry a pair chains that fit your vehicle(regardless if your vehicle is 2X, 4 X 4 or AWD) so when and/or if you are ever asked by the folks at any Chain Control Stop to produce them and then do, subsequently allowing you to continue on your marry way.

OR

Option #2: Don't carry any chains regardless vehicle type then when and if you are asked to produce them at any Chain Control Stop, you can't, and then basically tell the CCS folks to kiss your ass, subsequently be told to turn around or remain in line for God knows how long (up to 48 hours in some cases here locally at the bottom of the Bishop Grade or up at Walker just north of Walker Pass).

R2: Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles except four wheel/ all wheel drive vehicles with snow-tread tires on all four wheels.(NOTE: Four wheel/all wheel drive vehicles must carry traction devices in chain control areas.)

Oh, I forgot to add that this Chain Control Regulation, R2: Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles except four wheel/ all wheel drive vehicles with snow-tread tires on all four wheels.(NOTE: Four wheel/all wheel drive vehicles must carry traction devices in chain control areas.), is for any where in the state of California, including the area mentioned by the OP. I have indeed been stopped and asked to produce the required chains while driving 4x4 vehicles with snow tires on several occasions while traveling to the "Ditch" on 41 from the south, 140 from the west and 120 from the north back in the 80's and 90's. I learned my lesson the hard way back in March of 82' while driving up from SoCal on 41 just north of Oakhurst when I lied and said I had them at the established Chain up area (CCS) just north of town. When I was asked to produce them and I couldn't, the CHP Officer not only cited me but turned me around and told me to not even think of returning without the chains.

Have since carried chains that fit my 4X4 vehicle when traveling any where in the Sierra during winter. The $75.00 spent to buy and carry em keeps me outta trouble with the "Man" and safe when the snow drifts are super narly especially on single lane roads like 41 at 2am in the morning.

But as usual, this experience and common sense advise makes absolutely no sense at all for some individuals here....
Over and out.

The following user would like to thank The Chief for this post
colinr, dyusem

colinr

by colinr » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:13 am

I've been sporadic on here over the years, but it seems like sometimes it takes a few posts before the best details come out. Jarring the old memories loose or something. Nothing to be afraid of; just adds to the fun.
Chad, I did find your first post fun to read.

dyusem

by dyusem » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:26 pm

The Chief wrote:
The Chief wrote:Option #1: Buy and Carry a pair chains that fit your vehicle(regardless if your vehicle is 2X, 4 X 4 or AWD) so when and/or if you are ever asked by the folks at any Chain Control Stop to produce them and then do, subsequently allowing you to continue on your marry way.

OR

Oh, I forgot to add that this Chain Control Regulation, R2: Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles except four wheel/ all wheel drive vehicles with snow-tread tires on all four wheels.(NOTE: Four wheel/all wheel drive vehicles must carry traction devices in chain control areas.), is for any where in the state of California, including the area mentioned by the OP. I have indeed been stopped and asked to produce the required chains while driving 4x4 vehicles with snow tires on several occasions while traveling to the "Ditch" on 41 from the south, 140 from the west and 120 from the north back in the 80's and 90's. I learned my lesson the hard way back in March of 82' while driving up from SoCal on 41 just north of Oakhurst when I lied and said I had them at the established Chain up area (CCS) just north of town. When I was asked to produce them and I couldn't, the CHP Officer not only cited me but turned me around and told me to not even think of returning without the chains.

Have since carried chains that fit my 4X4 vehicle when traveling any where in the Sierra during winter. The $75.00 spent to buy and carry em keeps me outta trouble with the "Man" and safe when the snow drifts are super narly especially on single lane roads like 41 at 2am in the morning.

But as usual, this experience and common sense advise makes absolutely no sense at all for some individuals here....
Over and out.

Thanks for coming out of hibernation and lending a bit of reason to the child's play that this thread and some of it's participants (word used very loosely) let it devolve to. Here is hoping that the upcoming change in the weather puts some cement where it belongs...be well.

colinr

by colinr » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:42 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Iv-mYmvPqY[/youtube]

colinr

by colinr » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:52 am

Screw taking my 4WD with chains from the Bay Area to Yosemite. From now on, I'm just going to take my minivan.

Greg Enright

by Greg Enright » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:32 pm

Sometimes it's worth spending some bucks to have an expert put the chains on for you.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeZYqwlgUUE[/youtube]

The following user would like to thank Greg Enright for this post
colinr, Marcsoltan, mrchad9

no avatar
SpazzyMcgee

by SpazzyMcgee » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:19 pm

No one apologize. I love these threads!

"So then to get there you pass a stand of old Ponderosa pines..."
"Foxtail"
"Ponderosa"
"FOXTAIL"
"PONDEROSA"
"I'LL KILL YOU B*TCH"
"RAAAAUUUGH"

Vitaliy M.

by Vitaliy M. » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:02 pm

Entertaining thread.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:28 pm

dyusem, did you put chains on your 4wd last weekend?

colinr

by colinr » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:51 pm

I heard a rumor that the OP decided Shasta sounded like a better challenge last weekend. While being checked for chains, he bribed a CalTrans guy to take out a CHP car for him, in honor of mrchad9.

Jan. 20: All drivers on northbound Interstate 5 are being screened tonight to make sure they have a set of chains with them, officials with the California Department of Transportation said.

The screening will take place at the Fawndale exit, about 10 miles north of Redding.

Meanwhile, on Highway 299 near Big Bend, a Caltrans snowplow swiped the side of a California Highway Patrol cruiser just after 8 p.m. tonight, according to dispatch reports.

"The plow went down the whole side of the patrol car," an officer said over the scanner.

1 p.m. Jan. 18, 2012:

Winter appears to have finally arrived in Siskiyou County and chain controls are in effect Wednesday morning, Jan. 18, on Interstate 5 and Highway 89 in Siskiyou County.

Northbound I-5 at Fawndale is open as of 1 p.m., but Caltrans warns motorists to expect delays. Vehicles are being checked for chains.

Chain controls are in effect from 10 miles north of Redding to South Weed.

Previous update:

As of noon, Caltrans’ website is reporting a traffic collision with major injuries in the northbound lane of I-5 at Volmers, south of Dunsmuir.

A traffic hazard is also reported in the northbound lane at Wonderland.

R-I chain controls are in effect from 16 miles south of Dunsmuir to a half mile south of the junction of I-5 and SR89.

Chains, traction devices or snow tires are required on the drive axle of all vehicles except four wheel or all wheel drive vehicles.

R-2 chain controls are in effect from a half mile south of the junction of I-5 and SR89 to south Weed.
Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles except four wheel / all wheel drive vehicles with snow treaded tires on all wheels.

R-2 chain controls are also in effect through the town of McCloud on SR89.

Chains are required on all vehicles except four-wheel drive vehicles unless towing over the Siskiyou Summit in Oregon.

BTW, I'm not sure M+S tires always qualify as being considered snow treaded, but that is just a rumor at this point.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:22 pm

SeanReedy wrote:
Jan. 20: All drivers on northbound Interstate 5 are being screened tonight to make sure they have a set of chains with them, officials with the California Department of Transportation said.

The screening will take place at the Fawndale exit, about 10 miles north of Redding.

Meanwhile, on Highway 299 near Big Bend, a Caltrans snowplow swiped the side of a California Highway Patrol cruiser just after 8 p.m. tonight, according to dispatch reports.

"The plow went down the whole side of the patrol car," an officer said over the scanner.

1 p.m. Jan. 18, 2012:

Winter appears to have finally arrived in Siskiyou County and chain controls are in effect Wednesday morning, Jan. 18, on Interstate 5 and Highway 89 in Siskiyou County.

Northbound I-5 at Fawndale is open as of 1 p.m., but Caltrans warns motorists to expect delays. Vehicles are being checked for chains.

Chain controls are in effect from 10 miles north of Redding to South Weed.

Previous update:

As of noon, Caltrans’ website is reporting a traffic collision with major injuries in the northbound lane of I-5 at Volmers, south of Dunsmuir.

A traffic hazard is also reported in the northbound lane at Wonderland.

R-I chain controls are in effect from 16 miles south of Dunsmuir to a half mile south of the junction of I-5 and SR89.

Chains, traction devices or snow tires are required on the drive axle of all vehicles except four wheel or all wheel drive vehicles.

R-2 chain controls are in effect from a half mile south of the junction of I-5 and SR89 to south Weed.
Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles except four wheel / all wheel drive vehicles with snow treaded tires on all wheels.

R-2 chain controls are also in effect through the town of McCloud on SR89.

Chains are required on all vehicles except four-wheel drive vehicles unless towing over the Siskiyou Summit in Oregon.

BTW, I'm not sure M+S tires always qualify as being considered snow treaded, but that is just a rumor at this point.

Holy sheet of ice Batman!

Appears that the "douchebagism" (within Cal-Trans & the CHP) that prevails on the Eastside to keep folks safe from themselves, has indeed migrated to the Westside.

What a gaggle of Nazi assholes all them Cal-Trans/CHP dudes have become.

Over and Out.

PreviousNext

Return to California