Chat

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
Sarah Simon

Re: Chat

by Sarah Simon » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:02 pm

The Chief wrote:Rant, rant, rant

What a frumpy, bitter tone this post has. If you don't like social media, then don't be a part of it. Don't login - change the channel, so to speak. At the very least, acknowledge the irony of complaining about social media via social media...

Not every disagreement needs to be met with emotional belligerence. A measured, rational response is much, much more effective. Play the ball, not the player - argue the issue and abandon personal attacks as the tactics of children.

Ok, ladies, as you were...
Go climb a mountain

The following user would like to thank Sarah Simon for this post
Buz Groshong, EastKing, Josh Lewis, rgg

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:09 pm

The Chief wrote:No I don't need to chill.... KID!

SPRAY is what this is all about for you and several others, lately.

Just looking at your profile page for five seconds gives me a headache. It is all over the place with so much shit happening.

There is nothing more that a ton of "I-ism" in all of it.

But then again, that is what your generation seems to be all about. The Social Media and how they can proliferate themselves and their narcism.

Whatever.....

Oh boy, here we go:

Well Mr. Chief, would you like to give me some examples in private? If I discover this to be true, then perhaps I can make some effort into changing for the better. But so far I'm not convinced. I feel like I been making some good posts lately that are intended to be beneficial to the community at large.

Regarding your comment about my profile, I gotta admit I got a laugh out of this. Yes there is a lot on my profile, but each part says a little story in it's own way. There are four main things that I personally inserted. About Me, Quotes, Friends, and a little message at the bottom. It's not that complicated. I actually got one of the quotes from you a long time ago. :wink:

I don't see how there is so much 'I" in my profile. All I say about myself is:

"I've been climbing mountains for over 7 years. I climb mountains for the adventure, good company, the scenery, and most importantly to have the time of my life!".

And that's it! The quotes are for inspiration and telling a little bit about myself though the quotes. But they are also for trying to sum up mountaineering in a nutshell (with pics to make it more fun). Then I go on to show my friends list so that folks are aware of the people that climb with me. This makes it also possible for finding experienced mountaineers for climbing trips. The last part shows a notice saying that I want my content to be as good as possible. This is for the communities benefit! When I write a page here on SP it's for the viewer and I want to let everyone know that they can approach me with questions and suggestions.

I've contributed some pretty good pages here on SummitPost that I've done a lot of research and have invested a lot of time into. I don't see why I am on your list of selfish SP members. In real life I'd say I'm a bit different from the crowd (your common folk). But I hope to still maintain that same level of personality online.

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:45 pm

The Chief wrote:Again, lot's of "I's & Me" in the above post.... got it.

Your quickly judging my posts based on how much of own self I use. Whether it be "in my opinion", "I can give you instructions", or "I've got a great idea". These all have "I" in it, but it is used to describe things from my point of view or what I can do. It also acts as a separator for opinion and fact. I try to make myself very clear when I post that the viewer knows that somethings I say are more relative than actual fact. (and yes I'm using "I" in this thread just for you, plus it makes my job easier). :wink:

A person must change from the inside out before actions are taken that will effect the world. So when I said "If I discover this to be true" this is stating that the person (myself in this example) will change which will have a positive effect on other people. In that example it was showing that that person was wanting and willing to make good change. I (Josh) don't see how that is selfish!

The Chief wrote:Appears you do not nor will you.

Folks used to tell me that. Perhaps at first they might have been right, but I wanted to show them that I can change for the better. And I did. If you really believe that I'm being selfish and want to make a positive influence on this generation, put your money where your mouth is. (in other words, show us)

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:07 pm

Talk is still cheap Josh. That's all I see you doing here.

SP will be the same six months from now as it is today. Josh, Ryle, and Matt would put up with nothing else.

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:22 pm

mrchad9 wrote:Talk is still cheap Josh. That's all I see you doing here.

These things take time. :wink: Now that we have a spark of interest I've already did some work on the new frontpage template. So I don't think I'm being that cheap. :P And if your still convinced that I'm all talk, send me some CSS code that I could appropriately include in the template. 8)

and if you would like some hard core evidence of my work, here it is:

Code: Select all
/* Main Menu */
.hdr_nav {background: #3F98DF url("http://www.alpinejosh.com/host/sp/images/menu.png"); background-position: center bottom; background-repeat: repeat-x; border-color: #2D5A8A #2D5A8A #1E3B59; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px; padding-top: 5px !important; padding-bottom: 5px !important; border-radius: 8px 8px 8px 8px; box-shadow: 1px 1px 3px #444444; text-shadow: 0 1px 1px #444444;}
.hdr_nav a {padding: 5px 2px 5px 3px;}
.hdr_nav a:hover {background-color:#5FB1E0; color: #FED08F !important;}

/* Styling for Drop Down Menu */
#dropmenudiv {background-color: #3881C0 !important; color: #FFFFFF; border-radius: 0 0 8px 8px; border: 1px solid #444444 !important; width: 170px !important; padding-bottom: 5px; text-indent: 20px; text-shadow: 0 1px 1px #2A2A2A;}
#dropmenudiv a {color: #FFFFFF !important; font-size: 12px !important; font-weight: bold !important; padding: 3px 0; text-indent: 10px !important; border: none !important; text-shadow: 0 1px 1px #2A2A2A;}
#dropmenudiv a:hover {background: linear-gradient(#2DADDC, #0271BF) !important; background-color: #444444 !important; color: #FFFF99 !important;}

.artop {display: none;}

.featured {border-radius: 5px; box-shadow: 0 0 3px 2px #333333;}
img.featured {border-radius: 5px;}

.photo {}

.blue-h {background: url("http://www.alpinejosh.com/host/sp/images/blue.png") repeat-x scroll center bottom #0087CA; border-radius: 5px; color: #FFFFFF; padding: 10px; text-shadow: 0 1px 1px #000000;}

/* Header Styling */
input.search_box {transition: border 0.2s linear 0s, box-shadow 0.2s linear 0s; border-radius: 3px;}
input.search_box:focus {background: #FFFFFF; border-color: rgba(82, 168, 236, 0.8); box-shadow: 0 1px 1px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.075) inset, 0 0 8px rgba(82, 168, 236, 0.6);}
select.search_box {border-radius: 3px;}

table.main {}

table.report, table.article {border-radius: 5px; padding: 5px; transition: all 0.5s linear 0s;}
table.report:hover, table.article:hover {background: #FFFFCC;}

a.more {background: url("http://www.alpineascent.com/templates/adventure/css/../images/readmore.png") repeat-x scroll 0 0 #4991B9; border-color: #56A0C1 #377F9F #377F9F; border-radius: 4px; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px; box-shadow: 0 1px 1px 0 #B0B0B0; color: #FFFFFF; curser: pointer; float: right; font-size: 13px; font-weight: bold; margin: 3px 0; padding: 5px 7px; text-decoration: none; text-shadow: 0 0 1px #000000;}

a.more:hover {background: url("http://www.alpineascent.com/templates/adventure/css/../images/readhover.png") repeat-x scroll 0 0 #5FAFD3; color: FCE29E !important;}

.newest img {margin-bottom: 3px; border-radius: 5px; box-shadow: 2px 2px 2px #444444;}

This does not include the insertions of classes, ID's, and some other modifications I made. I also keep a changelog to make the transition easier.
Last edited by Josh Lewis on Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:16 pm

Yep The Chief, WE must maintain a group for asking about the chat restoration. There is no other way for instant talking here. In my opinion, social networking sites are not SP and I think that the best way to talk to each other is while the speakers are all in the SP windows at a time.

Josh, thanks for your efforts on the page
Last edited by Diego Sahagún on Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:43 pm

OMG if Montana Matt is using Josh's profile page to develop a new look and feel for SP then he is hell bent on destroying this place.

Doing nothing would have been better. Poor form Montana Matt. Goodbye SP.

The following user would like to thank mrchad9 for this post
Dow Williams

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:12 pm

Just my two cents .... didn't like that irritating chat feature from the beginning ... WHY does this site always favor the minority, instead of the
majority ?

Far as I know, the majority (of members) does NOT favor this stupid chat feature.

And ..... here's a bit of HUMOR to brighten up this thread ...

Last edited by lcarreau on Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

The following user would like to thank lcarreau for this post
Josh Lewis

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:14 pm

Perhaps you could think that the things you don't use are NOT stupid...

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:17 pm

Diego Sahagún wrote:Perhaps you could think that the things you don't use are NOT stupid...

WHY? Why do I have to be constantly told how to think ???

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:22 pm

Ask it to yourself please

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:22 pm

Yes, the chat feature was annoying. Perhaps a poll could be taken and see who actually wants it. I doubt many do, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, for all you complaining about Josh offering to help, Matt did say he is taking more volunteers. I thought you guys wanted improvements to SP, so it may be best not to complain about them before we see what they are. It sounds like Matt has been working on some things.

The following user would like to thank Scott for this post
Josh Lewis, lcarreau

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:06 pm

Scott wrote:Yes, the chat feature was annoying.

Doesn't "annoying" mean the same thing as stupid :?:

Let's VOTE on it .... 8)

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:40 pm

You cannot afford to pay a professional to do this work?

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:49 pm

Bullshit Montana Matt. You and I have discussed specific needs in the past, and Bob Sihler as well. You promptly follow up by agreeing to ideas and doing exactly nothing for 10 months.

Use some criteria rather than doing something random and unproductive.

PreviousNext

Return to Site Feedback