Choosing a new sport

Tips, tricks, workouts, injury advice.
welle

Re: Choosing a new sport

by welle » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:25 pm

WouterB wrote:* Rowing - there are a lot of canals near to where I live and it's a sport that will keep me fit for sure. But I'm not too sure if it's "fun" nor if it would keep my lower body fit.

Rowing movements initiate from your legs and back - it's a great overall body conditioning and low impact sport, IMO. Could be a bit monotonous unless you join a team or something and compete?

WouterB

Re: Choosing a new sport

by WouterB » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:58 pm

welle wrote:
WouterB wrote:* Rowing - there are a lot of canals near to where I live and it's a sport that will keep me fit for sure. But I'm not too sure if it's "fun" nor if it would keep my lower body fit.

Rowing movements initiate from your legs and back - it's a great overall body conditioning and low impact sport, IMO. Could be a bit monotonous unless you join a team or something and compete?

They answered an email I sent them and I quite like their training program for teams. Seem they do some serious workouts in small groups. The problem is, that in order to join such a team and compete, I'd have to train four times a week. Simply don't have time for that. Not joining a team means you get significantly less training opportunities and support.

I'm going to try training with the reacreational sporters and see what that's like. Must say that it's not exactly cheap.

HungarySagehen

by HungarySagehen » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:18 pm

I agree with Norco17. Try to find a club water polo team and see if you like it. It's the most fun you can have while working out that hard

gregorpatsch

by gregorpatsch » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:28 pm

WouterB wrote:My first thought was just buying a simple canoe since I live in between two canals (100m either way). The problem is that I don't have a place to store it. Am looking into this though.

You could get a standup paddle board....it's pretty fun and good full body workout. Smaller and lighter than a canoe.

WouterB

by WouterB » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:07 pm

gregorpatsch wrote:You could get a standup paddle board....it's pretty fun and good full body workout. Smaller and lighter than a canoe.

Had to google that one. Given the weather over here, I doubt that a sport in which I feel you could fall in the water quite frequently isn't an option :?

WouterB

by WouterB » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:07 pm

HungarySagehen wrote:I agree with Norco17. Try to find a club water polo team and see if you like it. It's the most fun you can have while working out that hard

Looking around for one.

kiwiw

by kiwiw » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:17 am

join a masters swimming program. they're usually coached by ex hs or college swimcoaches, (they will flog you into shape) also, although I hate rowing, it's a full body workout that will keep you strong. I'd choose these 2 if you want something that you can absolutely not get hurt in, otherwise, go for a 5 mile run 2-3 times a week and supplement it with training hikes with weight

xDoogiex

by xDoogiex » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:22 am

Paraglide, wingsuit, or base jump off of buildings

Dave Dinnell

by Dave Dinnell » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:23 am

xDoogiex wrote:Paraglide, wingsuit, or base jump off of buildings

Now, that is just crazy...

Hey, how about Bicycle Jousting??? That looks fun.

battledome

by battledome » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:30 am

I took karate and jiu-jitsu for my college PE credits a few years back. To be honest, karate and taekwondo are kinda lame. Jiu Jitsu is cool, because you can actually make contact on the first day. It was a really good workout, too. I never left the gym without feeling like I got my money's worth.

WouterB

by WouterB » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:34 am

xDoogiex wrote:Paraglide, wingsuit, or base jump off of buildings

Expensive, not a great excercise (except for maybe bowel movement) and there's not a lot of tall things in Belgium to jump of.

WouterB

by WouterB » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:36 am

Dave Dinnell wrote:Hey, how about Bicycle Jousting??? That looks fun.

I'll send the city an email (with descriptive picture) and ask them where I could find such a club :D

WouterB

by WouterB » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:37 am

battledome wrote:I took karate and jiu-jitsu for my college PE credits a few years back. To be honest, karate and taekwondo are kinda lame. Jiu Jitsu is cool, because you can actually make contact on the first day. It was a really good workout, too. I never left the gym without feeling like I got my money's worth.

Same goes for Savate. Incredible workout and you actually learn something (how to take a punch (or multiple), a decent martial art and you'll build some character.

Still I think I'll take up rowing before I go and try again.

xDoogiex

by xDoogiex » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:20 pm

Bike jousting looks awesome. What about equestrian, volleyball, fox hunting, or curling?

RayMondo

by RayMondo » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:14 pm

Wouter, I'd go riding with the lance, rather than the receiving! Dang, that hurt!

PreviousNext

Return to Technique and Training