Climber dies in fall at Yosemite

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
fedak

by fedak » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:14 pm

http://www.uniondemocrat.com/2010071410 ... t-Yosemite

A Stanford University student died Friday in a climbing accident in Yosemite National Park.

Christina “Chris” Chan, 31, a fourth-year graduate student studying political science, was climbing without ropes on Eichorn Pinnacle near Tuolumne Meadows when she slipped, according to park spokeswoman Kari Cobb.

Chan fell 300 feet, to the horror of climbing partner Jim Castelaz.
In a detailed account of the accident posted on a Facebook memorial page, Castelaz described the circumstances that led up to the fatal accident.
The two had been free soloing, or climbing without ropes, on Eichorn Pinnacle while waiting for two friends who were on Cathedral Peak, also above Tuolumne Meadows.
It was close to noon, but the conditions were cold and windy and the pair decided to descend.
According to Castelaz’s account, Chan was 10 feet from a ledge that signaled the end of the pinnacle route when he heard a sound and turned to see her falling farther down the steep mountainside.
Chan was an experienced climber, having served two terms as president of the Stanford Alpine Club.
Nine climbers have fallen and required rescue this year in Yosemite, and three people, including Chan, have died in rock climbing accidents.

Cy Kaicener

by Cy Kaicener » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:49 pm

Diggler

by Diggler » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:36 pm

She seemed like quite the person & climber. Very sad. My condolences to her friends & loved ones. RIP

Kerstin

by Kerstin » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:15 am

Oh no! This is so incredibly sad. :cry:

Tbenner

by Tbenner » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:42 am

while its disappointing to hear a fellow climber has died climbing. Its not sad, climbing is dangerous and its expected to hear about deaths in the climbing world( especially soloing). We all know the deal once we are off the ground.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:12 am

Tbenner wrote:while its disappointing to hear a fellow climber has died climbing. Its not sad, climbing is dangerous and its expected to hear about deaths in the climbing world( especially soloing). We all know the deal once we are off the ground.

What is wrong with you? Incredibly insensitive to say the least.

sad
1. affected by unhappiness or grief; sorrowful or mournful: to feel sad because a close friend has moved away.
2. expressive of or characterized by sorrow: sad looks; a sad song.
3. causing sorrow: a sad disappointment; sad news.

Regardless of how this occured, I feel for those that knew her and hope they find peace somehow.

lowlands

by lowlands » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:33 am

It's a shame to hear something like this. Visited Yosemite for the first time about two weeks ago, and I've experienced the draw that people feel with the place. An unfortunate event, but she died doing what she enjoyed.

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:35 am

mrchad9 wrote:
Tbenner wrote:while its disappointing to hear a fellow climber has died climbing. Its not sad, climbing is dangerous and its expected to hear about deaths in the climbing world( especially soloing). We all know the deal once we are off the ground.

What is wrong with you? Incredibly insensitive to say the least.

sad
1. affected by unhappiness or grief; sorrowful or mournful: to feel sad because a close friend has moved away.
2. expressive of or characterized by sorrow: sad looks; a sad song.
3. causing sorrow: a sad disappointment; sad news.

Regardless of how this occured, I feel for those that knew her and hope they find peace somehow.

Agreed, pretty bizarre post by Tbenner

fossana

by fossana » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:26 am

I would hardly call soloing the N Face of Eichorn (5.4) reckless, especially for someone with her climbing experience. Chan was a talented climber. I completely agree with lowlands' sentiment.

rhyang

by rhyang » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:18 pm

RIP to the fallen climber and my condolences to her friends and family.

While Eichorn Pinnacle's NF may "only" be rated 5.4, it's old school. Maybe the wildest and most exposed 5.4 I've ever done. There are pictures on SP of people soloing it and down-soloing it, but not me :shock:

bird

by bird » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:17 am

For you to say "Its not sad" is outrageous. I was there that day, the sadness was overwhelming and remains heavy for me, someone who had just met Chris an hour earlier. The sadness of her partner Jim and her family I'm sure is nearly intolerable. Shame on you.

thegib

by thegib » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:39 am

Of course it's sad (to trivialize) to the many who knew her, the rest of us empathize more or less, depending on how our lives are going at the time. For some, personalizing the tragedy, feeling that devastation, would cut too close; so the choice of 'philosophizing' upon a tragedy or denying one's empathy to the victims, is, if not always welcome, understandable, and not reason enough to warrant outrage.
May the living find peace.

Bildonator

by Bildonator » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:28 pm

Very sorry to hear this. My prayers and condolences for the families.

Snowball

by Snowball » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:28 am

TROLL... every person's death is a sad thing, even yours. Also, how is someone's death disappointing but not sad. Obviously no logic or brain in that thinking.

RIP to a fellow Stanford alumna.

Rossi

by Rossi » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:01 am

I work in the medical field and from time to time I speak with people who do not see death as a sad event, I understand the perspective. Although this is not my belief I can respect the view point.
I don’t think Tbenner is trying to be disrespectful.

Snowball wrote:

TROLL... every person's death is a sad thing, even yours. Also, how is someone's death disappointing but not sad. Obviously no logic or brain in that thinking.

RIP to a fellow Stanford alumna.

Next

Return to California