Climbing Solo

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Kerstin

by Kerstin » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:41 am

Eric, your story had me sweating bullets! I don't know what else to say except that I'm very glad you are still around.

Rossi

by Rossi » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:43 pm

I guess I never reported on my Trip. I did make the climb without a ton of difficulties. However, it was very anxiety provoking at times. I'm not sure I would do it again but at the time it seemed like a good idea. I had total focus that day and hours passed like minutes. For me the psychological challenge was amazing. My mind became very primitive, move up, don't fall, eat, drink. I also became more aggressive, not impulsively aggressive but maybe a bit stronger then normal and a bit angry. My girlfriend also noticed this before and after the climb. No matter, it was a great experience. Thanks for the info and the discussion its definitely a interesting topic.

Digiclimber

by Digiclimber » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:00 pm

The Chief Wrote:

-DO NOT attempt any goals that are not well within your comfort zone and current climbing ability range for your first solo gig! Plan for a challenge that will lead you and end in a successful trip. This may entail something at least two grades below your current abilities.

-Leave a full itinerary with a topo map of your trip with someone close and then DO NOT deviate from it.

-Readdress your thought process to think positive things about the climb prior to your departure.

-On the approach and during the climb, focus on the task at hand and filter out any "noise" that is not condusive to your success. Remain confident, but, if during your climb, that sixth sense kicks in and tells you to back off because something just doesn't feel right... DO SO without any guilt!

-Have fun and stay alive... the rock/ice ain't going anywhere and you can always return another day to climb again!

damn Chief, Im gonna print this and put it in my pack the next time I do a solo attempt!

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:30 pm

JimmyG

Not my stuff at all.

Rather a collection of many Rock & Ice Masters that have gone before all of us. :wink:

Charles

by Charles » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:31 pm

mvs wrote:You are already answering your own question. I think it's important that you do it or don't do it based on your own counsel. Don't ask us!

+1

Cy Kaicener

Climbing Solo

by Cy Kaicener » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:05 am

Deleted
Last edited by Cy Kaicener on Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Damien Gildea

Re: Climbing solo

by Damien Gildea » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:16 am

Cy Kaicener wrote:This has been a bad year for climbing solo. Most of these did that
JC Lafaille, Jon Bachar, Jonny Copp, Wilco van Rooyen, Mike Reardon, Tomaz Humar, M Fait, Christian Kuntner, Inaki Ochoa de Olza, Go Mi Sun, Martin Minarik, Christine Boskoff, Piotr Morowski, Rob Gauntlett, Craig Leubben, Cyrill Reutger (dont remember if this was solo), Oscar Perez, Roby Piantoni RIP :cry:

Wilco is not dead.
There is no evidence that Jonny died soloing, afaik.
Christian Kuntner died in the arms of friends, avalanched on Annapurna four years ago.
Inaki was climbing with Colibanasu on Annapurna and died in the presence of Ueli Steck.
Martin Minarik was also climbing with a partner (Revol) and became separated.
Christine was climbing with Charlie Fowler, and though unroped at the time, there is no evidence they were not together.
Craig Luebben died roped to Willie Benegas.
Rob Gauntlett was with a partner when he was hit.

You should delete this post, Cy. It is one of your worst - pointless in its intent and disturbing in its inaccuracy.

D

Andinistaloco

by Andinistaloco » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:28 am

"Remember not to have a fatal accident, because the community will think climbing is a dangerous thing, your friends will be bummed... and you'll be dead."

- Kitty Calhoun

Gak Icenberg

by Gak Icenberg » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:15 pm

Dingus Milktoast wrote:Don't talk about Solo Club!

What's the second rule of Solo Club?

DMT
who cares :roll:

Gak Icenberg

by Gak Icenberg » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:49 am

Oh. in that case :lol: :lol: :lol: ps, how'd you know I was a stud? :wink:

Rossi

by Rossi » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:26 pm

I thought this was a great interview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVn9UyhG5xg

Stillman

by Stillman » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:23 am

Peter Croft was once quoted as saying that he wouldn't solo anything he wasn't comfortable down-climbing, which has saved my ass on any number of occasions.

mvs

by mvs » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:23 am

Stillman wrote:Peter Croft was once quoted as saying that he wouldn't solo anything he wasn't comfortable down-climbing, which has saved my ass on any number of occasions.

Yep. On one occasion I tipped the odds a bit more in my favor by climbing up in hiking boots, and reserving the rock shoes in my pack for the downclimb (which was mandatory). I figured if I really needed the climbing shoes for the way UP, then I'd find going down scary no matter what. Kinda weird, but it worked for me that day.

Previous

Return to General