climbing vs. hiking

Minimally moderated forum for climbing related hearsay, misinformation, and lies.
taxinvestor

by taxinvestor » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:20 pm

Here is an equation you may use to determine if you are a climber or hiker:

Feet only (FO)
Hands and feet (HF)
Time (T)

If (T * FO > T * HF), HIKER

otherwise

If (T * HF > T * FO), CLIMBER

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:09 pm

TomSellick wrote:This is like asking whether or not Pluto is a planet. It is what it is - we (people) give it a name.

Pluto is Goofy's dog, everyone knows that.

Guyzo

by Guyzo » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:15 pm

yatsek wrote:Yep, I'd just add some first hike, then scramble, then climb, then scramble/hike/spend lots of time enjoying SP… This is the world we live in, which would be much worse without SP. :D

Amen.

knoback wrote:Precisely. That's what I like about this site. Most of the route pages are honest attempts to give out good beta, not spray or sandbag. Look at some of the route descriptions on Mountain Proj. for comparison. For most of them, when you're done reading you won't have a clear understanding of what you're in for much less be inspired to go climb the route.
Then look at, for example, some of Dow Williams' route pages. World of difference.
Nobody is trying to be elitist when they start talking about numbers, just more precise.
You get alot of negativity from climbers when, as a non-climber, you look like you are telling them that you understand what climbing is all about and furthermore can offer them some advice about their damn attitude.
I get that you are simply objecting to anyone being excluded, but it it smells of judgement to the climbers out there; something of a sore spot since everyone from mom to TV pundits has used it from the start to say that climbing (as opposed to hiking) is a silly, dangerous thing that responsible adults wouldn't do.

Nice, LOL about Mt. Project…… So true.

I do like Dow’s pages’, he captures the essence of the routes, and the places.

My Mom always tells her friends, “My son, the hiker……” so.
:wink:

graham

by graham » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:46 pm

knoback wrote:….Precisely. That's what I like about this site. Most of the route pages are honest attempts to give out good beta, not spray or sandbag. Look at some of the route descriptions on Mountain Proj. for comparison…..
…or check these 2 ol’ beauties. Probably the gold standard for minimalist route beta 8) The route descriptions in the Roper guides makes everthing seem like a hike :)

yatsek

by yatsek » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:18 pm

taxinvestor wrote:Here is an equation you may use to determine if you are a climber or hiker:
Feet only (FO)
Hands and feet (HF)
Time (T)

otherwise

I think the HIKER prefers walking outdoors to indoor/gym climbing, unlike the CLIMBER.

BTW If you went climbing/hiking but now you don't, you just don't feel very well, which is more likely when you're not young any more.
Last edited by yatsek on Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

no avatar
mconnell

by mconnell » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:20 pm

squishy wrote:
MarthaP wrote:
squishy wrote:I have trouble explaining my trips now...Well we slept on the side of the road in the dirt, got up early and had a world class breakfast at a gas station then climbed a mountain via class 2.4r...most people would stare at me and wonder what kind of retardation I had...because everyone knows you can't get a world class breakfast at a gas station...duh....

Hot dogs 2/$1 slathered in yellow mustard are pretty world class to me. Add some relish and you have your four basic food groups. :wink:

Actually this is the menu at the gas station I was speaking about...I recommend the Lobster Taquitos with some mango margaritas...in the morning they will even put some whisky in your coffee...

Tioga Toomey’s House Favorites

World Famous Fish Tacos
One with ginger coleslaw, one with mango/pineapple/plum salsa
Served with Brazilian black beans

Signature Chicken Caesar Salad Wrap
Tons of flavor wrapped in a chipotle tortilla

Grilled Salmon Salad
Served on a bed of baby lettuce with mountain honey/wild berry vinaigrette dressing

Wild Buffalo Meatloaf
Extra lean, prepared cowboy style with port wine au jus, garlic mashed potatoes and fresh vegetables

Kansas City Steak Caesar Salad
Marinated skirt steak on our tangy caesar salad

Rajin’ Cajun Chicken Jambalaya
Served with fresh bread, it’s a meal in itself, not to spicy

Legendary Lobster Taquitos
Three taquitos served on a bed of Brazilian black beans topped with tomatillo pineapple salsa and fresh salsa

Herb Crusted Grilled Pork Tenderloin
Served with apricot wild berry glaze, garlic mashed potatoes and fresh vegetables

St. Louis Style Baby Back Ribs
Served with our own huckleberry BBQ sauce, garlic mashed potatoes and fresh vegetables

Pizza
World Famous BBQ Chicken with cilantro pesto
Grilled Veggie with pesto
Southwest Black Bean Chicken

http://www.whoanelliedeli.com/

Never figured out the facination with that place. It's a gas station, complete with gas station quality food.

Mark Doiron

by Mark Doiron » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:10 pm

MoapaPk wrote:
TomSellick wrote:This is like asking whether or not Pluto is a planet. It is what it is - we (people) give it a name.

But Pluto is also a planet. At least in my universe, the IAU be damned. And this particular planet has a moon: Charon. And, here in Oklahoma we have a place named after the same mythological character as that moon: Charon's Garden. It has plenty of great hiking and climbing. And lots of "in between" stuff where it's difficult to determine whether you were hiking or climbing. It probably depends on the skill of the person: The greater that skill, the less use of hands, therefore the more he/she is inclined to call it a hike. But, at the end of the day, the only thing that really mattered was getting to the top. That's where the fun is. The rest is just meaningless semantics.

--mark d.

BeDrinkable

by BeDrinkable » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:08 pm

MoapaPk wrote:Pluto is Goofy's dog, everyone knows that.

It's funny you say that. Neil Degrasse Tyson noted that only Americans were freaked out by the reclassification of Pluto. His theory is that Americans had a prior relationship with that name due to the very factoid you noted.

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:11 pm

taxinvestor wrote:Here is an equation you may use to determine if you are a climber or hiker:

Feet only (FO)
Hands and feet (HF)
Time (T)

otherwise

Grand Teton is just a hike then, unless you climb slow or hike fast.

Mark Doiron

by Mark Doiron » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:20 pm

thoth wrote:
Mark Doiron wrote:
MoapaPk wrote:

But Pluto is also a planet. At least in my universe, the IAU be damned. And this particular planet has a moon: Charon. And, here in Oklahoma we have a place named after the same mythological character as that moon: Charon's Garden. It has plenty of great hiking and climbing. And lots of "in between" stuff where it's difficult to determine whether you were hiking or climbing. It probably depends on the skill of the person: The greater that skill, the less use of hands, therefore the more he/she is inclined to call it a hike. But, at the end of the day, the only thing that really mattered was getting to the top. That's where the fun is. The rest is just meaningless semantics.

--mark d.

It is a Kuiper Belt object, sorry, it is just left over junk.

According to the IAU, which deemed it such at a meeting that the leading planetologists in the world did not attend. --mark d.

mrh

by mrh » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:46 pm

butitsadryheat wrote:
Lolli wrote::wink: biadh.

If one is secure in one's role, and have chosen one way or another for the moment, what does it matter what and how others choose to do?

It is amusing.

True. Thanks for reminding me. Sometimes it is forgotten when others don't see it that way. :wink:

Cheers. Hope your trip out here in October is enjoyable and memorable. Wave to me while you are speeding past Bakersfield!

Why would she want to wave to you? Only a poofta would put flowers up on his profile pick.

Oh, wait. Nevermind. :oops:

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:56 pm

Lolli wrote:
justing wrote:Something I've always wondered...what the hell is trekking and how does it differ from hiking? To me it sounds like the name for hiking to hikers who want to sound like they're doing something cooler than hiking. At least they know they're not climbing I guess.

Trek = British English
Hike = American English

same thing.

Wait a minute; you left out one:

Trek = British English
Hike = American English
Tramp = Australian or NZ English

taxinvestor

by taxinvestor » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:02 pm

Day Hiker wrote:

Feet only (FO)
Hands and feet (HF)
Time (T)

otherwise

Grand Teton is just a hike then, unless you climb slow or hike fast.

Ha, yes I suppose it is. Perhaps it is fair to add another variable - Approach (A) - which may be subtracted from (T) in case your goal is a summit or wall and miles of trail are in your way. In the case of Grand Teton A=4 hours (Lupine Meadows to Surprise Lake)?

:D

PreviousNext

Return to Ethics, Spray, and Slander