cold cold world chaos pack

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
e-doc

cold cold world chaos pack

by e-doc » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:48 pm

I'm looking around for a mountaineering pack and stumbled across this. I climb in the Cascades for a few days a year but will also use this a winter pack when I carry snowshoes, tent, stove, clothes maybe a snow shovel and such. (We do get some snow down here. Snowshoe backpacked twice last year, once in 2.5 feet powder in Virginia). Not sure if I'll do more frequent mountaineering in the future with work and spouse (I can always hope). My current pack is an 18 year old Mountainsmith Frostfire 2 held together with bailing wire and zipties. Any thoughts?

adventurer

Re: cold cold winter chaos pack

by adventurer » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:12 pm

I just ordered a CCW Chaos a few days ago and I expect to receive it sometime this week. I chose this pack because of some recommendations from SP members responding to my recent thread re: Opinions on backpacks in the 75L range. In addition, I did a lot of research on my own and found that it's nearly impossible to find anyone who has not had a good experience with the Chaos and Randy at CCW.

For example, here's a review I found on sectionhiker.com
http://sectionhiker.com/cold-cold-world-chaos-backpack/

My situation is somewhat similar to yours in that I'll most probably use the Chaos for winter backpacking trips (3-7 days) in VA and NC as well as climbs in the Whites, Rockies, and the Sierra.
"When you travel, if you avoid the people, reject the food, ignore the customs, and fear the religion..... you might as well stay home"
James A. Michener

The following user would like to thank adventurer for this post
e-doc

e-doc

Re: cold cold world chaos pack

by e-doc » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:30 pm

Adventurer,
Saw your post. In looking around most people recommend Osprey, some Diamond Brand some Arc T. Everything I've seen sings praises of the Chaos . Saw a few being sold after minimal use, not sure why. See if anyone has any other thoughts.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:49 am

"I tried so hard my dear to show that you're my every dream.
Yet you're afraid each thing I do is just some evil scheme.

A memory from your lonesome past keeps us so far apart,
Why can't I free your doubtful mind and melt your cold cold (chaotic) heart ..."

Sorry, wrong thread ! :D !!!
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

brokesomeribs

by brokesomeribs » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:08 am

I have the slightly smaller Chernobyl with a couple custom tricks and spectra grid fabric. Best climbing pack I've ever owned, period. Over the past 10 years, just off the top of my head, I've owned (and climbed with) Cilogear 45L and 30L, Osprey Mutant 38 and Variant 37, BD Instinct, Marmot Eiger, and I'm sure a couple others. The CCW trumps them all. I was in Chamonix for about 3 weeks earlier this year with it and it performed beautifully, even with ungodly loads as we skied off the Midi with food/gear for 3-4 days of bivying on the glacier. Side note: Skiing in climbing boots with a fully loaded pack sucks hard, no matter what pack you're wearing.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rySE8XiT1s[/youtube]

I'm having a highly customized Ozone being made up this summer as well as soon as I can devote the cash to it, already spent 45 minutes on the phone with Randy discussing the various options.

One thing I'll say is I can't get used to his reversed shoulder straps (On a stock CCW, you pull up to tighten). He seems to like them an awful lot, but they aren't for me. I'm having the Ozone made with normally tightening shoulder straps and will drop off my Chernobyl at his place when I'm up in NH later this year to have the Chernobyl converted to normal straps as well.

The following user would like to thank brokesomeribs for this post
e-doc

granjero

by granjero » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:26 am

My friend has a CCW pack in the ~35L size and constantly raves about how much he likes it for various applications. Get one! :D

chocodove

by chocodove » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:08 pm

I'll join the lovefest. I have a Valdez I wouldn't trade for anything. I even use it on sticky hot summer days for day hikes just because it rides so damn well!

e-doc

by e-doc » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:49 am

Finally ordered a Chaos this week. Should gotten last winter as I've been on 3 multi day hikes since 1/1/12. My Frostfire 2 was especially heavy after getting soaked on Shuksan in May.

Dane1

by Dane1 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:33 pm

Good decision.....CCW rocks.

Return to Gear