Colorado in April

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
mconnell

Re: Colorado in April

by mconnell » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:32 pm

Scott wrote:
When was the last time a 1000' vertical rock face was encountered on Rainier?

There are rock faces higher than that on Rainier, even if they aren't dead vertical (but neither are Little Bear or Capitol). For example, the upper 1000 feet of the Willis Headwall on Rainier is as steep (or steeper) as the faces on Capitol and Little Bear, but the face itself is much higher (3X's as high as the faces on Capitol or Little Bear). :wink:

I wasn't talking about Little Bear or Capitol. Thinking more of the Diamond.

Anyway, I really don't care whose mountain is "harder." People slam CO mountains as being walk-ups. Most are, if you want to climb them that way. So is Rainier, if that's what you're looking for.

CSUMarmot

by CSUMarmot » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:44 pm

Lionel wrote: I always find it irritating when "experienced" people start to espouse the dangers of it and tell others to do an easier mountain, or, "they don't belong there", never mind what they themselves might have experience with, or for that matter know about the other person's experience level.

Sorry if telling people to be careful somehow burdens your pleasure
Dammit kid get off mah lawn!!!
NoCo Chris

no avatar
mconnell

by mconnell » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:23 pm

Lionel wrote:Be that as it may, your original response was that Rainier is just another 14er, expressing a view which indicates your measuring a mountain only by it's altitude and not for the other characteristics, such as technical difficulty, as was being implied in the first post about it. The finest alpine flower displays that I have seen have been in Colorado. I think people would be less likely to slam CO mountains if CO people had a slightly less arrogant view of them, and one which is almost entirely based on them being high.

No, my original response was that Rainier is just another 14er, expressing a view that indicates that Rainier having a couple of glaciers on it doesn't make it any more of a "real mountain" than any other mountain.

Flattlander

by Flattlander » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:41 pm

This is like when I lived in Philly and people would argue about where the best cheesesteaks are sold.

Bill Reed

by Bill Reed » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:56 am

:?: :arrow:
Last edited by Bill Reed on Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Flattlander

by Flattlander » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:08 am

When was the last time someone encountered a crevasse at John's Roast Pork at Front and Snyder?

Previous

Return to Colorado