complete gear list?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
JJBrunner

 
Posts: 129
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:37 am
Thanked: 5 times in 5 posts

Re: complete gear list?

by JJBrunner » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:05 am

mattski wrote:Water purification Chlorine Dioxide whats that eb do you boil your tap water at home

It's funny because even if you did have a good point to make, nobody would know because you either don't take the time to type properly so it can be easily read and understood, or you weren't taught English like EB mentioned... Who seems better to take advice over the internet from? A punk who cnt spll? Or a member who can type properly, be helpful, and who I believe has plenty of experience. If you want to be a punk on this site, fine with me, that's the beauty of this website. But don't try to give aspiring mountaineers the idea that a space-blanket sort of equipment is all the warmth you need to climb Mt. Shasta when you 1.Don't know what you're talking about or 2.Put off the vibe that you don't know what you're talking about because, frankly, you're a dumbass...

no avatar
JJBrunner

 
Posts: 129
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:37 am
Thanked: 5 times in 5 posts

Re: complete gear list?

by JJBrunner » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:11 am

mattski wrote:your tec pack lol dont you use cams or nuts or hex's i do my pack weighs 22 pounds you use half shank boots what are you going to climb the stairs put your sling around the hand rail and your snow stake up your arce

And btw, that spaceblanket-like thing with heat pays weights 2 kg, thats ~4.4 pounds. Explain what exactly is in your pack please. Preferably in language the general population can understand.

no avatar
JJBrunner

 
Posts: 129
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:37 am
Thanked: 5 times in 5 posts

Re: complete gear list?

by JJBrunner » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:25 am

mattski wrote:No you get the one with out a heat pad and sleep in it in a bivy bag.
In my bag for multi day trips for mod routes is,

1. nuts,cams.hexs as much range as you can 5 or 6 alpine quick draws made out of 60cm dineema sling, 4m dineema sling,3-4 screw gates and some wire gate snap links all light weight, 23 pittons
2.1 snow stake 2-4 ice screws
3.cooker with one of those small bottles and a small cup size pot
4 food,frezdry for dinner salami and cheese for lunch protien bars for breaky,lollies
5.gore-tex pants jaket,thermals none extra,socks 1 or 2 pairs light warm gloves +gore-tex mits warm hat.warm mid layer
6.60meters of 8.9mm rope
7.crampons+ice axe's
8. space bag bivy bag
9. light weight first aid kit and repair kit
10, light weight harness and FULL shanked boots/mostly wearing these things, as use a light weight 25L OR pack some times strap crampons onto harness wearing helmit+headtorch

A little better with the comprehensibility. That sounds like a day pack with emergency bivy gear. Have you slept with the space bag and bivy in cold weather? I'd imagine you would freeze in anything but good weather conditions and moderate temperatures. Unless you wear the harness with all the rock/snow/ice pro on it, you don't stand a chance of getting that in a 25L pack. I'm interested to know what you've climbed and when and in what conditions you've actually bivied with this setup.

User Avatar
ExcitableBoy

 
Posts: 3630
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:33 am
Thanked: 654 times in 488 posts

Re: complete gear list?

by ExcitableBoy » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:59 am

I apologize for my previous use of the F bomb. I was drunk at the time, not that it makes it ok.

The following user would like to thank ExcitableBoy for this post
JJBrunner

User Avatar
mrchad9

 
Posts: 4530
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:01 am
Thanked: 1333 times in 907 posts

Re: complete gear list?

by mrchad9 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:00 am

First clicked on this thread today and found out mattski's a fag.

Sucking dongs at night to keep warm.

sorry. I've had a drink too.

User Avatar
Marmaduke

 
Posts: 1493
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:08 am
Thanked: 714 times in 550 posts

Re: complete gear list?

by Marmaduke » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:33 am

mrchad9 wrote:First clicked on this thread today and found out mattski's a fag.

Sucking dongs at night to keep warm.

sorry. I've had a drink too.


Where do you get that from? Scary. Dinner next week in the mountains is not happening. The right wing wacko I am, doesn't see what you see in this post. Have another! :P :P

User Avatar
mrchad9

 
Posts: 4530
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:01 am
Thanked: 1333 times in 907 posts

Re: complete gear list?

by mrchad9 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:45 am

Neophiteat48 wrote:
mrchad9 wrote:First clicked on this thread today and found out mattski's a fag.

Sucking dongs at night to keep warm.

sorry. I've had a drink too.


Where do you get that from? Scary. Dinner next week in the mountains is not happening. The right wing wacko I am, doesn't see what you see in this post. Have another! :P :P

Damnit Troy. Obviously I was not being factual, just pointing out that mattski is not someone folks should waste too much time on unless they are really really bored. Fucking Kiwi can't even speak English for god's sake.

You will say and do anything to get out of a day in the mountains.

In vino veritas

User Avatar
Marmaduke

 
Posts: 1493
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:08 am
Thanked: 714 times in 550 posts

Re: complete gear list?

by Marmaduke » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:48 am

mrchad9 wrote:
Neophiteat48 wrote:
mrchad9 wrote:First clicked on this thread today and found out mattski's a fag.

Sucking dongs at night to keep warm.

sorry. I've had a drink too.


Where do you get that from? Scary. Dinner next week in the mountains is not happening. The right wing wacko I am, doesn't see what you see in this post. Have another! :P :P

Damnit Troy. Obviously I was not being factual, just pointing out that mattski is not someone folks should waste too much time on unless they are really really bored. Fucking kiwi can't even speak English for god's sake.

You will say and do anything to get out of a day in the mountains.

In vino veritas


A little sensitive aren't you? I'm going next weekend!! MY wife in all honesty is taking out more life insurance for accidental death. She' s crazy though. What's the Latin translate too?

User Avatar
mrchad9

 
Posts: 4530
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:01 am
Thanked: 1333 times in 907 posts

Re: complete gear list?

by mrchad9 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:50 am

Neophiteat48 wrote:A little sensitive aren't you? I'm going next weekend!! MY wife in all honesty is taking out more life insurance for accidental death. She' s crazy though. What's the Latin translate too?

It means... when some dude has been drinking that is when he will be honest with you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_vino_veritas

User Avatar
mrchad9

 
Posts: 4530
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:01 am
Thanked: 1333 times in 907 posts

Re: complete gear list?

by mrchad9 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:02 am

mattski wrote:are all americans as dumb as you chad? lol wow thats a bit of a gay boy name isint it

Maybe you are a fag. Only a daily dosage of protein from your uncle/family friend could be a valid excuse for your complete lack of cognitive reasoning.

Try this gaylord...
mattski wrote:Are all Americans as dumb as you Chad? lol. Wow! That's a bit of a gay boy name isn't it? I am a fag too.

User Avatar
Marmaduke

 
Posts: 1493
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:08 am
Thanked: 714 times in 550 posts

Re: complete gear list?

by Marmaduke » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:03 am

mrchad9 wrote:
Neophiteat48 wrote:A little sensitive aren't you? I'm going next weekend!! MY wife in all honesty is taking out more life insurance for accidental death. She' s crazy though. What's the Latin translate too?

It means... when some dude has been drinking that is when he will be honest with you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_vino_veritas


Figured it was "life/live with wine", Where for dinner next weekend? I know, you think I'll back out, but no. I'm leaving Friday morning early for Dana....then all by timing, playing it by ear.

no avatar
coldfoot

 
Posts: 103
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:58 am
Thanked: 15 times in 13 posts

Re: complete gear list?

by coldfoot » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:06 am

Mattski,

Don't be a prat.

The original poster didn't ask what gear the biggest badass with the lightest pack carries. He asked what's a gear list for basic beginning mountaineering, in the western US probably since he's in California. Pack lists depend on the situation, everyone knows this. If the climb in question is a two day snow slog, I suppose that a tent is a better use of 2 kg than are a pile of nuts and hexes. Dismissing bivy gear and then talking about staying in huts doesn't help in places without huts. So dictating to other people about their choices may not mean you're smarter or badasser than them.

Unless you are Messner, there's always someone who is a bigger badass than you, and maybe even if you are Messner. And ultimately, the mountains don't care who is a badass.

no avatar
JJBrunner

 
Posts: 129
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:37 am
Thanked: 5 times in 5 posts

Re: complete gear list?

by JJBrunner » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:53 am

mattski wrote:
A little better with the comprehensibility. That sounds like a day pack with emergency bivy gear. Have you slept with the space bag and bivy in cold weather? I'd imagine you would freeze in anything but good weather conditions and moderate temperatures. Unless you wear the harness with all the rock/snow/ice pro on it, you don't stand a chance of getting that in a 25L pack. I'm interested to know what you've climbed and when and in what conditions you've actually bivied with this setup.


do you go climbing in storms i dont. Its mountaineering not hiking you dont need the kitchen sink. But usually stay in huts theres heaps in nz! Then you dont need sleeping bags you can ether take a silk liner or use the blankets in the hut, yea put a bit of gear on your harness. Use a few slings and biners to hold snow stakes and tools on the pack light=fast/fast=safe

Image

Ive climbed the ridge line on the left on this mt and theres no hut in the valley
remember youve got all this warm climbing gear in your bag to wear
and if your going alpine style you dont take any sleeping gear do you. Or is alpine style lost the usa

To my knowledge, if you're on your own, it is certainly possible for a storm to sneak up on you in anything but the shortest climbs. Sure you can bring radios and all, but that wouldn't be alpine.... :shock:

User Avatar
Mountainjeff

 
Posts: 124
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:55 pm
Thanked: 12 times in 8 posts

Re: complete gear list?

by Mountainjeff » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:12 am

mattski wrote:cheap crampons are usaly quite light


Cheap light crampons are usually made out of aluminum which is less than durable. Something like the BD Contact Strap crampons will get you up a lot of the big peaks on the west coast like shasta and rainier. They are he most durable and probably one of the best deals.

User Avatar
brokesomeribs

 
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:48 am
Thanked: 1 time in 1 post

Re: complete gear list?

by brokesomeribs » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:16 am

I'm not sure what's more embarrassing in this thread.... the town idiot, or the normal townies who got suckered in to a name calling game.

Time for another round of pull ups. Peace :)

PreviousNext

Return to Gear

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests