Costco's Kirkland-brand Puffies

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
sgenise

Costco's Kirkland-brand Puffies

by sgenise » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:31 pm

Hey all!

I'm a climber on a budget (a very tight one, as it happens), and I saw at Costco the other day a Kirkland-brand down puffy that goes for about a quarter of the price of some of the bigger brands. Does anyone have experience with any of Costco's outdoor clothing and can recommend for or against? I'm not in the business of doing anything crazy cold, just looking for something compressible that can handle the Sierras in the spring and summer.

Thanks!

Marcsoltan

Re: Costco's Kirkland-brand Puffies

by Marcsoltan » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:51 pm

I bought a down vest several years ago for a fraction of the normal price. It's as good as anything you find in a regular retail store.

sgenise

by sgenise » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:07 pm

Update: Apparently they only sell women's down puffies.

Further update: I still bought it, because by god $40 for a 650-fill is worth the price, and I am in dire need of something compressible. Sometimes, when you backpack on a budget, you find yourself wearing women's clothes.

The following user would like to thank sgenise for this post
Josh Lewis

Marcsoltan

by Marcsoltan » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:27 pm

sgenise wrote:Update: Apparently they only sell women's down puffies.

Further update: I still bought it, because by god $40 for a 650-fill is worth the price, and I am in dire need of something compressible. Sometimes, when you backpack on a budget, you find yourself wearing women's clothes.

Sorry you had to buy a women's jacket, well, as long as it fits okay then why not.
My vest is a men's. Was lucky they had them at the time.

sgenise

by sgenise » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:07 pm

No sorries needed! Tested it this weekend at Clouds Rest and it worked like a dream! Best backpacking purchase I've made this year!

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:59 am

sgenise wrote:Sometimes, when you backpack on a budget, you find yourself wearing women's clothes.

You did the right thing. :lol: I still have a puffy donated by a nice lady (also woman's) and have been using it for years. You don't get what you pay for, you get what you bargain for. Don't ever let the world tell you otherwise. 8) Got my nano tech puffy earlier this year in almost mint condition for $15 at a thrift store. I use a twin puffy system with my 1 pound sleeping bag to be ultra light.

Return to Gear