Crampons for Mt. Rainier

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
mambwe

Crampons for Mt. Rainier

by mambwe » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:56 pm

I'm buying my first pair of crampons and I'm not sure which ones to buy. I'm from NY and will be using them here and on Mount Washington/White Mountains to gain experience. I also plan on going to Rainier in 1 1/2 years ,so I want a pair that I can use in both places. I would also like to tackle Denali in the future.

Do I buy 10 or 12 point? What would I need on Rainier/Denali?

Steel or Stainless? I've read that aluminum doesn't handle abuse that well.

Any brands I should be looking at?

I have Asolo backpacking boots, so I wouldn't be getting the step-in type. I realize I will need to upgrade boots eventually, but for NY/NH i'm sure they are fine. Is there anything else I should be looking at?

Thanks.

Snidely Whiplash

Re: Crampons for Mt. Rainier

by Snidely Whiplash » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:17 am

Get 12 point. No way could you bring aluminum or 10-point to Denali. Aluminum is not very durable for long-term use, especially if you're walking over rock in them. On Rainier, and I'm sure in New York, there is always rock to cross (e.g. Disappointment Cleaver when the route is melted out). Pretty much any make will be fine...Grivel, Black Diamond, SMC. The attachment type will depend on the flexibility and configuration of your boots. There is no way you can take your flexible backpacking boots on either Rainier or Denali. Probably the only crampons that will attach to a more flexible boot are strap-ons. My old SMC strap-on's are great, but they're sort of hard to find these days. Everyone wants the step-in kind, which should work great on any boot you'll take up Rainier.

It is also doubtful that you'll be using the same boots on Rainier (generally a warm climb) as you will on Denali (frigid and high-altitude), so make sure your crampons can fit over a variety of boots.

billisfree

by billisfree » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:39 am

Buy then for less than half price on e-bay.

no avatar
sneakyracer

by sneakyracer » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:11 am

There are some good videos here http://www.whittakermountaineering.com/pg/gear_videos two of them are specifically about crampons

no avatar
splattski

by splattski » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:22 pm

I've used the old version of these on both Rainier and Denali. They'll work on lighter boots and have a wide range of adjustment. Some 10-point crampons don't have front points, but these do.
http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en ... ns/contact

Koy

by Koy » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:05 am

Just buy the Grivel G-12 Newmatics and forget about the rest. You'll never need or want another set of crampons. The G-12's are just a great all-around performer.

20% off at REI if you're a member:

http://www.rei.com/product/716230

gato

by gato » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:20 am

I second the BD Contact, or you can also look at the BD Serac (12 pt). Go with stainless for sure, rust sucks.

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)