Dartwins for Cordillera Blanca?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
saintlade

Dartwins for Cordillera Blanca?

by saintlade » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:44 pm

Hey guys,

was hoping to get a pair of Sarkens for my gf's Spantiks for a trip to Peru coming up soon, called Lyon Equip up but they're out of stock at the moment. They had Dartwins in stock so have opted for those but suddenly worrying about the wisdom of my decision. Without the hooded frontpoints of the Sarkens are they going to be much cop in the Cordillera Blanca, we'll mostly be doing snow/ice routes around the Difficile mark as she's not got a great deal of experience. Was thinking of giving her my Sarkens and I'll make do with the Dartwins, will wrap some Gaffa tape round them in lieu of antiballing plates but worried about the front points. Would I be better off rolling with a more classic design like the Vasaks;

http://www.petzl.com/en/outdoor/mountai ... pons/vasak

what are people's thoughts? I've only ever used crampons with vertical front points for Scottish winter climbing and a bit of ice cragging, never the horizontal style. Having last minute panic attacks about kit, can't get hold of the pack I finally had settled on after a fair amount of deliberation as well. I know whatever I have I will make do and put up with, people climb far harder stuff than I with much worse kit but I'd like to give myself the best advantage possible to make up for my inability.

Return to South America