Dead links on Shasta's Hotlum Glacier page

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
clmbr

Dead links on Shasta's Hotlum Glacier page

by clmbr » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:38 pm

I wanted to check out this page, Hotlum Glacier, and found out that most of the links, including references to pictures, are dead or irrelevant. Perhaps someone in charge of this page might take a look and fix it. Thanks

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

Re: Dead links on Shasta's Hotlum Glacier page

by Bob Burd » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:20 pm

Best to post this to the page itself under "Corrections". That way the page owner gets notified.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:07 pm

I'm guessing that Bubba took over that page when the original owner left or went missing. That doesn't look like his kind of route.

Bubba Suess

by Bubba Suess » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:21 pm

MoapaPk wrote:I'm guessing that Bubba took over that page when the original owner left or went missing. That doesn't look like his kind of route.

That would be correct. If someone wants to take it over and do it justice, I am all for it!

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:02 pm

I would love to take it Bubba. Did the route last weekend as it turns out, and it was fantastic...

Bubba Suess

by Bubba Suess » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:33 pm

mrchad9 wrote:I would love to take it Bubba. Did the route last weekend as it turns out, and it was fantastic...

Its yours. Have fun with it. I know you will do a great job on it. I think some of the other routes need to be beefed up too...

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:31 pm

Bubba Suess wrote:
mrchad9 wrote:I would love to take it Bubba. Did the route last weekend as it turns out, and it was fantastic...

Its yours. Have fun with it. I know you will do a great job on it. I think some of the other routes need to be beefed up too...

Thanks Bubba! I've been wanting something I felt a bit more passionate about rather than a radom peak. Now I have it!

Yeah... Shasta is such a fantastic mountain, but I have been very disappointed with the quality of most of the route pages. It's the kind of peak where folks should be able to do a great job on the routes with a little effort, and there are a lot of people that would find them useful. There are a couple good pages, but not most. I see you just got around some of that issue with a great page on North Gate.

And the Mount Shasta page itself is superb!

Bubba Suess

by Bubba Suess » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:57 pm

mrchad9 wrote:And the Mount Shasta page itself is superb!

I appreciate you saying that. I am actually in the process of doing a major revamp on the page. I think it will be a lot better when I am done. I hope some of the other route pages can be improved!

no avatar
Burchey

by Burchey » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:56 pm

mrchad9 wrote:
Bubba Suess wrote:

Thanks Bubba! I've been wanting something I felt a bit more passionate about rather than a radom peak. Now I have it!

Yeah... Shasta is such a fantastic mountain, but I have been very disappointed with the quality of most of the route pages. It's the kind of peak where folks should be able to do a great job on the routes with a little effort, and there are a lot of people that would find them useful. There are a couple good pages, but not most. I see you just got around some of that issue with a great page on North Gate.

And the Mount Shasta page itself is superb!

Do you think the relative difficulty of creating Trip Reports/Pages/etc with the current software discourages users from adding? It's fairly time consuming - images especially

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:01 pm

Burchey wrote:Do you think the relative difficulty of creating Trip Reports/Pages/etc with the current software discourages users from adding? It's fairly time consuming - images especially

Use the bulk uploader and edit the meta fields in the jpegs beforehand (so there will be automatic titles and captions for the photos). Still not easy, but a lot more consistent.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:30 pm

Burchey wrote:Do you think the relative difficulty of creating Trip Reports/Pages/etc with the current software discourages users from adding? It's fairly time consuming - images especially

The difficulty of using the current software is an obstacle for many users... several have commented on it in the past. For me the greater factor is the amount of time and energy it takes to create the writeup and content for the page. I have become more reluctant to put as much effort into low rewarding endeavors (such as creating peak pages for seldom climbed locations- I am more interested in those that have more public interest).

I especially feel constrained by the intense lack of attention and effort but forth by the owners with respect to maintaining and developing this site. They take a lack of consideration for the members here to a remarkable level. I and several others have reached out to them with ideas and offers to help on several occasions, but they want no part of making it better.

They haven't done a thing for this site in ages, and why should the users put more time and energy into a single page than the owners put into their own site all year?

clmbr

by clmbr » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:17 pm

Chad, I think you might be the right person not just for this but any of Mt Shasta's pages because you love the mountain, like to explore it, climb it every year a few times, and are quite active on this site.

Personally I would like to see more details, both pictures and info, of the route in different time and conditions. People often ask how a (specific) route and its conditions might look like in September or other time, for example. Why not to show them (and explain) on the route's page. I myself, even though have climbed Shasta almost xxx times am always interested in seeing pictures and/or videos showing something new, different.

Why don’t you update Mt. Shasta Conditions page? I’m aiming for September to do some climbs on north side.

. . .
And thanks to all of you for taking care of this subject.

The following user would like to thank clmbr for this post
mrchad9

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:30 pm

Thanks... Yes I'll plan to feather various photos from different times of the year, it helps when others who have been on the route contribute them. And I will be doing the route again- perhaps the most interesting on the mountain. I need to go through what photos are already there as well. Long weekend coming up and I have a short week next week, so it'll be a couple weeks before significant progress is made.

clmbr

by clmbr » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:58 pm

mrchad9 wrote:. . . Long weekend coming up and I have a short week next week, so it'll be a couple weeks before significant progress is made.

No problem, thanks.

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:33 pm

mrchad9 wrote:

The difficulty of using the current software is an obstacle for many users... several have commented on it in the past.

People have commented on it, but I've never really seen where they're coming from. Once you create a few pages, it seems pretty easy to me. I'm not saying it can't be better, but my only real issue is the slowness that often goes with uploading photos.

For me the greater factor is the amount of time and energy it takes to create the writeup and content for the page. I have become more reluctant to put as much effort into low rewarding endeavors (such as creating peak pages for seldom climbed locations- I am more interested in those that have more public interest).

I understand where you're coming from and have sometimes found myself thinking the same regarding my own pages, but I hope you'll reconsider. In my opinion, SP's greatest value is as a source of beta for lesser-known peaks. No offense to Bubba, who has done a beautiful job with the Shasta page, but if I google "Shasta climbing" or "Climbing Shasta" or "Mount Shasta climbing routes," the SP page is one of several sources that comes up (though it was second or third for each of those when I checked). If I google some of the mountains you have posted, I am likely to get only your page or at least very few options, thus making that page more valuable in a relative sense.

Just imagine all the other beta sources if you google Mount Whitney!

My page for Dollar Mountain in Wyoming, for example, seems to be the only source of useful beta for the peak on the Internet. Its only "competition" is this page-- http://peakery.com/dollar-mountain-wyoming/-- which has the wrong elevation by several hundred feet and no beta that would help someone wanting to climb the peak.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

Next

Return to California