Diamox use

Tips, tricks, workouts, injury advice.
WouterB

Re: Diamox use

by WouterB » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:34 pm

Didn't use it on my first two attempts above 5500m. Used it on my second attempt on Elbrus. While I did take plenty of time to acclimatize, I do have the feeling that I might not acclimatize as well as others. Started using a small dosage of Diamox after going above 4200m's on Elbrus and it did seem to help me.

In February I'm going to Kilimanjaro. I'm planning on taking a long time to reach the summit (15days). This should be plenty of time, but I will be taking Diamox with me just in case.

DukeJH

by DukeJH » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:27 pm

I carry it but have yet to use it. I carry for treatment of AMS symptoms and to aid in the acclimitization of those manifesting AMS symptoms with the understanding that if the Diamox doesn't reduce the symptoms, we will descend.

mstender

by mstender » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:40 pm

I have used it in Peru to sleep at an altitude that I had only climbed up to before and it worked very well for me.
If you have never used it, I would try it out before (e.g on a local hike that you are very familar with) to see if it has any effects on you since it is a diuretic and it can cause tingling sensations to some people. I did not experience any tingling but I have heard from other people who did and stopped taking it for that reason. You'll have to watch your fluid intake though because you WILL be peeing more.

WouterB

by WouterB » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:40 pm

Vitaliy M wrote:WouterB, that is a lot of time for Kili, but good luck! I am sure you will succeed in under 10 days! Glad it helped you "get high." :D
Are you doing 7 summits?

I will be climbing Meru first, so some of the time used will be used there. I know this will help me get acclimatized as well, but I'd rather take more time and really enjoy it. Have had some bad experiences before, so... .

7 Summits. Don't know. Just did Elbrus because Sjarelkwint was always taking about climbing it and well... he kind of got me interested :D . Kilimanjaro has always been a dream of my dad, so I'm going with him in February. Peladoboton was talking about getting some people together for Aconcagua and well, he seemed like a nice guy, so why not... . We'll see where it goes from there. But I'm interested now, yes.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:55 am

If you are concerned about altitude on Kili, I would suggest taking plenty of extra warm clothes for the summit day, even if you already knew that.

I didn't have much, certainly not a parka, and it was fine every day but the one. I didn't want to lug a bunch of extra stuff around, and was on a five week trip through Europe and Africa. It nearly cost me the summit.

Very cold when you are up there at 17000+ feet before sunrise. It wasn't an issue for me at all when moving, but I had to move even if slowly until sunrise. I started having some issues with the altitude, all I needed was to rest a few minutes and stop exerting myself a little, but I couldn't due to the cold. Almost had to turn back, but kept up, moving as slow as I could. Once I made the crater rim and quit going up, and the sun rose, I rested a bit and felt just fine. And was running around up top like there was never an issue. Being able to throw another layer on before sunrise would have been nice.

bgriffs

by bgriffs » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:47 am

I tried it because we went high fast and I guess it worked. I think it was a 250mg dosage. That was enough to make me feel tingly in the hands and feet, my smaller girlfriend had more intense side effects. It might be a good idea to take half a pill depending on what they give you.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:18 pm

Another thing to bear in mind is Diamox is a sulphonamide drug. Many people do not tolerate sulfa drugs well, so the suggestion to try it out at home is a very good one. A friend in college took a sulpha based drug and ended up in the hospital for three days.

csproul

by csproul » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:03 pm

It causes beer (and all carbonated beverages) to taste like crap...that's reason alone not to use it!

mstender

by mstender » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:55 pm

csproul wrote:It causes beer (and all carbonated beverages) to taste like crap...that's reason alone not to use it!

That was another reason why I suggested to try it at home first and see how it affects you. I did not have the problem that beer tasted like crap, by the way.

CONSIGLIEREG8R

by CONSIGLIEREG8R » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:00 am

csproul wrote:It causes beer (and all carbonated beverages) to taste like crap...that's reason alone not to use it!

same side effect on me but I have used every time. I figure on my trips, I have one shot at the summit and I don't want AMS to stop me.

I just drink more wine.

no avatar
alicem

by alicem » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:29 am

I have used it for 3 different alpine seasons, and found it really helped.

You don't get the usual headace, and i have never felt sick at altitude using it.
Some strange side effects, random tingling in fingers and toes, and the first time i used it i did feel a bit unusual so trying it out for a few days is probably a good idea.

WouterB

by WouterB » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:31 pm

I do pee like a horse when I take it.

Scott Wesemann

by Scott Wesemann » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:24 pm

I have been using it for the last 5-6 years and my altitude issues have almost gone away. I have suffered from AMS symptoms for several years and the only thing that has ever helped is Diamox. I frequently do longer day trips where I am going over 12k and I make sure to take it every time. I understand that I am not typical when it comes to altitude, as none of my partners have ever had AMS symptoms like I have. Some people will criticize those of us that use it for whatever reason, but it has been 5-6 years since I was at elevation down on all fours puking my guts out to the horror of my climbing companions, so for me it works and I will continue to take it.

The only negatives: Soda tastes horrible for a few days after, my face and fingers tingle slightly and I seem to pee more frequently.

WouterB

by WouterB » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:53 pm

My beer and soda taste stays the same - yay!

Grampahawk

by Grampahawk » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:02 pm

I stopped taking it and have had some minor, occasional AMS symtoms (headache, appetitte loss). I'd rather have those than the flat taste of beer/soda and the frequent peeing. The peeing is an issue for the other climbers when I have to stop every 45 minutes, and it's an issue for me when I have to wake up every 45 minutes so don't get any sleep. I do carry it on every trip though, just in case AMS gets really bad, but I've heard that it takes a day for it to fully react. The best advice is to try it locally. I don't know what would happen if you took it and never really went up to any appreciable altutude though, like us "easties".

Next

Return to Technique and Training