Do you 'Get Out?'

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
User Avatar
Clydascope

 
Posts: 1106
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2002 2:44 pm
Thanked: 28 times in 12 posts

by Clydascope » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:26 pm

It’s been over 35 year since I first stood on a summit and about four weeks since I last stood on a summit.

The desire is stronger than the body these days - two new hips in two years slowed me down a bit.

I want to thank Laura for teaching me how to walk again, twice. It involved much more than just walking – Thank Laura!

Although it’s been an uphill grind – literally at times – I’m coming back.

My recovery has included many walks in some obscure places of the Eastern Sierra and one small summit. I have managed to get out quite a bit even if it’s not the high peaks.

Just “Got In” yesterday from a 1,400 mile motorcycle ride in Baja, Mexico. We visited some of the most remote wilderness I have ever seen, ever, anywhere.

Can’t wait to strap the skis on again!

Image

no avatar
mconnell

 
Posts: 7494
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2001 4:28 pm
Thanked: 337 times in 200 posts

by mconnell » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:36 pm

MoapaPk wrote:I've seen a guy on a giant skateboard going down rte 168 CA, from below Westgard Pass to just outside Big Pine. He was supine, feet first, and passed us as we were driving down to Big Pine, past the one-way section. On a day when it was 95 in the valley, he was wearing a helmet, big boots, and a winter coat. He passed several cars, and pulled off the road to the left below 5000', in front of oncoming traffic. I wonder if he is still alive.


Sounds like street luge. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNJrjoyZI5E

User Avatar
MoapaPk

 
Posts: 7779
Joined: Fri May 13, 2005 7:42 pm
Thanked: 787 times in 519 posts

by MoapaPk » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:52 pm

That was the activity, but the "sled" was wider and the equipment generally looked low-tech.

User Avatar
fossana

 
Posts: 1013
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2003 9:31 pm
Thanked: 41 times in 32 posts

by fossana » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:09 pm

Clydascope wrote:Just “Got In” yesterday from a 1,400 mile motorcycle ride in Baja, Mexico. We visited some of the most remote wilderness I have ever seen, ever, anywhere.


Good to hear your recovery is progressing, Chris. I'm debating whether to buy a smaller, more off-road oriented bike. Got more pics from your Baja trip? Sounds like fun.

User Avatar
Clydascope

 
Posts: 1106
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2002 2:44 pm
Thanked: 28 times in 12 posts

by Clydascope » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:47 pm

fossana wrote:Good to hear your recovery is progressing, Chris. I'm debating whether to buy a smaller, more off-road oriented bike. Got more pics from your Baja trip? Sounds like fun.


Thanks Michelle, I just created an album of Baja pictures...

http://www.summitpost.org/album/582449/Baja-Mexico.html

User Avatar
Princess Buttercup

 
Posts: 541
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:13 pm
Thanked: 456 times in 245 posts

by Princess Buttercup » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:32 pm

Clydascope wrote:It’s been over 35 year since I first stood on a summit and about four weeks since I last stood on a summit.

The desire is stronger than the body these days - two new hips in two years slowed me down a bit.

I want to thank Laura for teaching me how to walk again, twice. It involved much more than just walking – Thank Laura!

Although it’s been an uphill grind – literally at times – I’m coming back.

My recovery has included many walks in some obscure places of the Eastern Sierra and one small summit. I have managed to get out quite a bit even if it’s not the high peaks.

Just “Got In” yesterday from a 1,400 mile motorcycle ride in Baja, Mexico. We visited some of the most remote wilderness I have ever seen, ever, anywhere.

Can’t wait to strap the skis on again!



:D :D :D

Chris, your motivation made it easy. That and comparing notes from a few trips... :D

Congratulations, my friend. Keep at it, and see you out here!

-L 8)

User Avatar
EManBevHills

 
Posts: 522
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:55 pm
Thanked: 2 times in 1 post

by EManBevHills » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:44 pm

Chris,

You are quite the hipster!
:D

Previous

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests