Does this peak really exist???

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
nader

Does this peak really exist???

by nader » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:12 pm

Recently a page was made on Summitpost for a 13961 ft Mt. Andrea at the southern end of the Sawatch Range (Marshall Pass/Mt. Ouray area):

Mt. Andrea

Please see the comments I left on that page. The submitter obviously has no personal information about that peak and has copied everything word for word from the Wikipedia link that he puts at the bottom of the page. I am just very curious as to where Wikipedia got its info. I do not think such a peak exists at all. Is Mt. Andrea another name for Mt. Ouray?

CSUMarmot

Re: Does this peak really exist???

by CSUMarmot » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:24 pm

Quick LOJ search shows no 'Andrea' in CO, nor a peak with the elevation 13961.
Dammit kid get off mah lawn!!!
NoCo Chris

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:30 pm

Well, that peak no longer exists on SummitPost at least. Thank you for pointing out that it was copied from Wikipedia; I never bothered checking the link before.

Here is the wiki link in case folks want to continue the discussion about the peak: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mt._Andrea.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

The following user would like to thank Bob Sihler for this post
CSUMarmot

Baarb

by Baarb » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:22 am

Looks like the Mt Ouray page with a few names changed here and there for someone's personal amusement. I expect it will get deleted off Wikipedia sooner rather than later.

donhaller3

by donhaller3 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:28 am

This isn't my fight, but....

One of the cites on the Wiki page is a NOAA/NGS data sheet for,er, well, Mt. Andrea. I made a sort of independant check of the Chaffee County, Colorado database, and there is a PID that corresponds to the Mt. Andrea data sheet PID. The lat/long seem inconsistent with Mt. Andrea being even a sub-summit of Ourey.

A summit altitude to the nearest foot will differ from datum to datum and therfore from list to list.

Local names sometimes do not always correspond to bureaucratic names. Mt. Pitt is an older name still used locally for Mt. McLoughlin and Thielson was originally (Big?) Cowhorn. Federal and state officials could never reconcile themselves to Whorehouse Flats in Harney County, Oregon, though some newer maps refer to Naughty Girl Meadows.

Did anyone email the poster of the page in question?

I will not post further.

Don

RyanS

by RyanS » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:48 pm

I proposed the Wikipedia page for deletion. It's a copy of the Mount Ouray page.

Return to Colorado