Dolomites in the rain

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
frosty23

Dolomites in the rain

by frosty23 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:35 am

Hello, We're supposed to be climbing in the Dolomites this next week but the weather looks gruesome- can you sport climb in the rain, is it possible to climb in am and avoid most of the water? We're flying into Zurich- would heading west and south to French limestone be a better bet?

Any help would be great

Charles

by Charles » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:23 pm

Sounds no fun - yes maybe heading for the Verdon might be an idea.

cb294

Re: Dolomites in the rain

by cb294 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:41 pm

frosty23 wrote:Hello, We're supposed to be climbing in the Dolomites this next week but the weather looks gruesome- can you sport climb in the rain, is it possible to climb in am and avoid most of the water? We're flying into Zurich- would heading west and south to French limestone be a better bet?

Any help would be great

Was planning myself on driving to the Alps this afternoon. Will go to the beach in Croatia instead. Weather is supposed to be shit essentially all over the Alps for at the least the entire next week. Stable and bad is not what you really want....

Verdon might just be far enough south to be OK weatherwise. Best and stable forecast currently for Sardinia, where there is also fantastic sports climbing.

CB

Charles

by Charles » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:48 pm

Yes the forecast is unstable until at least Monday. I´m off down there on Friday of next week, I hope it clears by then.

no avatar
klk

Re: Dolomites in the rain

by klk » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:57 pm

frosty23 wrote:Hello, We're supposed to be climbing in the Dolomites this next week but the weather looks gruesome- can you sport climb in the rain, is it possible to climb in am and avoid most of the water? We're flying into Zurich- would heading west and south to French limestone be a better bet?

Any help would be great

bummer-- the cliffs at the dolos tend to seep water when it rains, so even the overhangs and caves can turn wet if it's been raining steadily for awhile.

arco might be a drier possibility if you really want to stay in italy. otherwise, i'd head for the sunshine in france.

Return to Europe