Eastern Sierra Trailhead access

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Carbo

Eastern Sierra Trailhead access

by Carbo » Wed May 07, 2014 7:22 pm

Hi
I want to take a little weekend trip up to the Eastern Sierra. Does anyone have current conditions for vehicle access to Cottonwood lakes, onion valley, the lakes up bishop creek. Are any of these trailheads accessible?
Thanks

obsidian

Re: Eastern Sierra Trailhead access

by obsidian » Wed May 07, 2014 8:04 pm

It just recently snowed up here. We got about a foot in Mammoth about a week ago.
It's all melted off though,...maybe some morning ice patches at 8,000 feet (most of those trailheads are about 7,000 - 8,000 feet).
Here is the Inyo National Forest website information for the current conditions in the White Mountain Ranger District.

Carbo

by Carbo » Wed May 07, 2014 9:55 pm

I heard about recent snow but webcams of various area show little remain. Thanks for the link

Carbo

by Carbo » Mon May 12, 2014 5:57 pm

From this weekend.

Rock Creek road is open till a gate at the pack station above Rock Creek lake (short of Mosquito flats). There is some snow on the trail, nothing to worry about

Road to South Lake is all open. Trails have snow in shaded spots.

I can't imagine trailheads being hard to get to, especially with the weather coming up this week

artirm

by artirm » Mon May 12, 2014 11:30 pm

Cottonwood was clear this weekend. In general there seem to be virtually no snow below 10k. Above 11k though its a totally different world.

Deb

by Deb » Tue May 13, 2014 7:11 am

Sabrina and North Lake are clear but the North Lake campground is not open yet. I climbed a peak near Lamarck Col today - there's alot snow back there! It appears I'm the first person this season to go further than Upper Lamarck Lake. Nice cross country over snow in absence of trail.

no avatar
Danielsan12

by Danielsan12 » Tue May 13, 2014 6:24 pm

Deb wrote:Sabrina and North Lake are clear but the North Lake campground is not open yet. I climbed a peak near Lamarck Col today - there's alot snow back there! It appears I'm the first person this season to go further than Upper Lamarck Lake. Nice cross country over snow in absence of trail.

Did you notice if any lakes above 10k are thawed out yet by any chance? Thank you.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed May 14, 2014 12:12 am

Danielsan12 wrote:
Deb wrote:Sabrina and North Lake are clear but the North Lake campground is not open yet. I climbed a peak near Lamarck Col today - there's alot snow back there! It appears I'm the first person this season to go further than Upper Lamarck Lake. Nice cross country over snow in absence of trail.

Did you notice if any lakes above 10k are thawed out yet by any chance? Thank you.

Birch Lake at 10,800 feet was frozen pretty solid last weekend... but no snow on it and snowline a bit above it.

Deb

by Deb » Wed May 14, 2014 1:14 am

Danielsan12 wrote:

Grass Lake is melted. A small lake/pond just below Lower Lamarck Lake is melted as well. Everything else = frozen.

Return to California