Ecuador climbing conditions

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
jbetoo

Ecuador climbing conditions

by jbetoo » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:25 am

Has anybody been up Cotopaxi, Cayambe or Chimbo recently? I'm leaving to Quito on Friday and I've seen nothing but rain in the cities for the past few weeks. Any updated route conditions on any of these peaks would be awesome.

Andino

by Andino » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:29 am

I'm just back from Ecuador, and it is still cloudy and rainy.
I know people had to give up on Cotopaxi as the avalanche risk was too high.

However Chimborazo may well be better in this season, as it is on the occidental part of the Cordillera.

Haliku

by Haliku » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:30 am

Arrived two days ago. The weather is beautiful! We climbed Pasochoa today as part of our altitude training. Weather looks like it will remain stable with only wind as an issue on the higher peaks. Cheers!

Haliku

by Haliku » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:07 pm

bird wrote:Great news Chris...keep the updates coming ;-)
Eric

The weather is changing. The last few days have been cloudy and unsettled. The forecasting here is tough with so many variables due to the extremes in altitude. It could be different by the time your trip starts. Cheers!

no avatar
harpner

by harpner » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:35 am

What's the temp like over during the approach, in the high huts and on the summits?

I'm leaving July 16 and trying to figure out what sleeping bag to bring (I have a -20 and a +40 and of course the +40 is a lot smaller). Also are double plastic boots like my Koflach Arctis or Millet Onesports are necessary or are something like a La Sportiva Trango S would suffice.

Andino

by Andino » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:56 am

As far as boots are concerned, I would take the warmest you have. On a nice day, you might not need them.
But the weather can change quickly and nastily, and the descent could take longer than you think if it becomes cloudy with poor visibility and strong wind. Therefore freezing cold. Especially if you don't go with a guide.

It's an equatorian area, so a snow storm can occur at all time of the year.

Haliku

by Haliku » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:50 pm

harpner wrote:What's the temp like over during the approach, in the high huts and on the summits?

I'm leaving July 16 and trying to figure out what sleeping bag to bring (I have a -20 and a +40 and of course the +40 is a lot smaller). Also are double plastic boots like my Koflach Arctis or Millet Onesports are necessary or are something like a La Sportiva Trango S would suffice.

I agree with Myzan. Everyone is wearing plastics that I have seen.

In the huts the 40 degree bag will work. You might have to wear some cloths. I have my 15 and used it to sleep outside the hut on Iliniza. The temps only went down to the high 20s that night. Cheers!

Return to South America