Ecuador volcanoes as independently as possible

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
BLong

Ecuador volcanoes as independently as possible

by BLong » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:17 am

I have a team of 6 climbers looking to climb and ski Cotopaxi and Chimborazo this June. The team is experienced (members have skied Denali, Muztagh Ata, Aconcagua, etc). We would like to book a minimum of services with a company (transportation and basic basecamp support services). I know that you need a guide to climb glaciated peaks in Ecuador, but am wondering if anyone has had recent experience with an inexpensive company that is reliable? We don't want porters, cooks, etc, and really would prefer a driver who could act as a basic guide (even one who stayed at the huts). Thoughts?

BLong

Re: Ecuador volcanoes as independently as possible

by BLong » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:32 am

I am also looking for people who can comment on average snow conditions on Cotopaxi and Chimborazo in mid-June. I talked to several people who mentioned that Chimborazo has not had decent snow recently due to ash from Tungurahua. Others have said that June can be a good month for snow because it is at the beginning of the dry season.

Obviously the weather patterns are complicated, but I am wondering if anyone who was down there last June can comment. Chimborazo is in the Occidental, and as I understand it the dry season there is supposed to be June through August. Cotopaxi is in the Oriental. Dry season in the Oriental is supposed to be November through February.

Any help on interpreting this information?

Thanks.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:17 am

Chimborazo is in the Occidental, and as I understand it the dry season there is supposed to be June through August. Cotopaxi is in the Oriental. Dry season in the Oriental is supposed to be November through February.

Cotopaxi is technically in the Oriental, but due to its position, it more or less follows the climate conditions of the Occidental (this is not true of other areas of the Oriental). On average, the driest months to climb Cotopaxi are June and July, and then December and January.

no avatar
Boleslav

by Boleslav » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:51 pm

we climbed Cotopaxi with the organizational help of Bladimir Gallo, the owner of Llovizna guesthouse in El Chapu, who was also a guide, the phone: 0999699068
email: iliniza_blady@yahoo.com

his cost was better than all other agencies I contacted. He speaks English, send him an email and let him know exactly what you want, it is good to have an idea of a reasonable price so that you can counter offer.

another option is to send a private message to the SP member Boriss Andean - http://www.summitpost.org/users/boriss-andean/38177 (and certified Ecuagor climbing guide), who is from Bolivia, lives currently in Colorado, he may either guide you or give you his suggestions (he helped us greatly last year with our trip)

MMclimbhigh

by MMclimbhigh » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:07 am

I highly recommend looking up Pablo Puruncajas from GoAndesTrek.com. I bumped into him skiing with clients on Cotopaxi and Chimborazo a couple of years back. Talented climber, good skier, Ecuadorian local and general good guy. Conditions will be hit or miss. As they say in Ecuador.........it is year round spring conditions. Everything from sunny and warm to heavy snow and subzero.......sometimes in the same day! Best of luck to you. I wish I had my skis for Chimborazo....excellent ski mountain.

Cheers,
MM

Return to South America