Elitism

Minimally moderated forum for climbing related hearsay, misinformation, and lies.
dskoon

by dskoon » Mon May 24, 2010 8:00 pm

peladoboton wrote:
dien2liv wrote:Elitism: so im at the crag in NW Arkansas last weekend. just got my first set of cams and I think this was the second time using them (not the first time trad climbing) so they were nice and shinny. as we were leaving, we pass a group guys from Fayetteville working some 5.12. we stopped to watch as this guy flashed the route and came down. I complimented him on the climb and so on and he replied back about how shinny my cams were and just generally made us feel unwelcome. Then his friend asked us where we were from. when they realized we were from Missouri, they proceeded to tell us how missouri climbers cause all kinds of problems with access and trespassing issues. im no 5.12 climber but i love climbing and what should it matter where im from and how strong I am. Never felt like climbing could be elitist until then.

my buddies i was climbing with this last weekend off of the Ruth Glacier bumped into Fred Beckey in his camp in front of Mt Dickey. he, the most accomplished climber in North America, was excited as heck to talk with them, and gave them all sorts of props and encouragement.

that is how the game is to be played, as played by one of the great masters, says i.

Peladoboton,
Fixed that for you, if you indeed meant Mr. Beckey.

welle

by welle » Mon May 24, 2010 8:29 pm

dskoon wrote:
peladoboton wrote:
dien2liv wrote:Elitism: so im at the crag in NW Arkansas last weekend. just got my first set of cams and I think this was the second time using them (not the first time trad climbing) so they were nice and shinny. as we were leaving, we pass a group guys from Fayetteville working some 5.12. we stopped to watch as this guy flashed the route and came down. I complimented him on the climb and so on and he replied back about how shinny my cams were and just generally made us feel unwelcome. Then his friend asked us where we were from. when they realized we were from Missouri, they proceeded to tell us how missouri climbers cause all kinds of problems with access and trespassing issues. im no 5.12 climber but i love climbing and what should it matter where im from and how strong I am. Never felt like climbing could be elitist until then.

my buddies i was climbing with this last weekend off of the Ruth Glacier bumped into Fred Beckey in his camp in front of Mt Dickey. he, the most accomplished climber in North America, was excited as heck to talk with them, and gave them all sorts of props and encouragement.

that is how the game is to be played, as played by one of the great masters, says i.

Peladoboton,

I don't think he could have accomplished lifetime of dirtbagging, if he was an asshole.

dskoon

by dskoon » Mon May 24, 2010 9:59 pm

welle wrote:
dskoon wrote:
peladoboton wrote:

Peladoboton,

I don't think he could have accomplished lifetime of dirtbagging, if he was an asshole.

Agreed, and I didn't say he was. I simply fixed a misspelling. I've heard Mr. Beckey is a very good guy.

welle

by welle » Mon May 24, 2010 10:46 pm

I didn't mean to address it to you Dskoon, but rather to peladoboton - having never met Fred, I won't be surprised to find out that he's a super nice guy.

gabr1

Re: Elitism

by gabr1 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:57 pm

An interesting parallel

Know an ethilist? They can be pretty annoying sometimes. Also entertaining. These are the people who have the ability to take drinking WAY too seriously, as in if you don't drink/do something the way they do it, you are an inferior being. And if you don't drink at all, you don't exist. I look at these people and think to myself how they can be so wrapped up in their fumes that they think they are the shit, and nobody else comes close to them (this is actually easier to understand). But that in itself also makes me laugh at them because they take things way too seriously. Most "good" drinkers are the nicest people ever, but some are just a-holes. It disappoints me that such people can be called drinkers, but I guess that's the reality of almost every addiction. I guess my point is that I don't like ethilists, but since they are always going to be around, I may as well learnt o laugh at them. drinking is about having fun, not putting others down because they won't do what you do.

ShortTimer

by ShortTimer » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:11 am

What! You don't drink $100 bottles of wine? Or 30 year old Scotch? What a wuss!

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:58 am

Wow, in the grave yard for 7 months and 2 weeks and this thread is back. Is that a record? Oh, and since my first posts back in May when I was very new here, I you can tell there are a bunch of Elitists here on SP.

Arthur Digbee

Re:

by Arthur Digbee » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:54 pm

MoapaPk wrote:
TheOrglingLlama wrote:I bet you hoi polloi went to state schools too

Hey, hey, "hoi" is an article. Watch the punctuation.

Actually in classical Greek that apposition *is* grammatical, and would not be punctuated. Just sayin'.
OCCUPY SUMMITPOST !

no avatar
sopwith21

by sopwith21 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:51 pm

drjohnso1182 wrote:Elitists are people too. Is your ego so fragile that you have to laugh at them just to make yourself feel better??

I think it makes everyone feel better. :)

Previous

Return to Ethics, Spray, and Slander