Fatality on Shasta

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
jdmorris

Fatality on Shasta

by jdmorris » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:47 am

I heard the chopper but didn't have any idea how tragic the news would be:
http://www.ktvu.com/news/24160225/detail.html

I climbed Casaval on Saturday morning and didn't see a single falling rock although I did start from the car at 1:30AM. There was some ice raining down from above on the slope below the catwalk around 8AM but that was it. (It's off this topic, but the upper parts of the mountain were in amazing shape - the rocks at the top of Casaval are still heavily coated in rime and the catwalk is still very wide.)

Be careful out there!

JD

Augie Medina

by Augie Medina » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:38 am

What a shame. The article's detail is sparse to be sure, but it sounds like "exact wrong spot at wrong time." Any other situation and the guides (assuming they were guiding the party; that wasn't clear from the article) might have some explaining to do. Whatever the case, it's terrible for the husband and her family.

clmbr

by clmbr » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:58 am

I've learned from a friend about this accident. I'm not sure when exactly it happened (most likely on Sunday).

I climbed the upper Whitney Glacier up (through Cascade Gulch) and Waste Face down the last Saturday, spent about two hours on the summit (there were two rangers and a guide) and no word about the accident. Early afternoon I heard rock falls from Casaval Ridge but could not locate it. On the Whitney route there is a big bolder glued to the slope with ice waiting for more sunshine to take off. Be aware.

pschwerdt

More info

by pschwerdt » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:42 pm

Return to California