First Trip to Alps

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
Charles

by Charles » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:21 am

Lots to offer there then! I´ll put a list of suggestions together for you

JackCarr

by JackCarr » Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:00 pm

Basically limitless possibilities here. Never been to the Bernese Oberland so can't say much for that, but in the Valais how about heading to Arolla, doing Mont Blanc de Cheilon, or maybe Mont Blanc de Cheilon/Pigne D'Arolla traverse. Head to Zermatt, take the Klein Matterhorn lift, do the easy route of the Breithorn, walk in the palk but a good way to get over 4000m. Then spend the rest of your time doing routes around Zermatt such as Castor, Pollux, Zinal Rothorn, The Dom, Dent Blanche or Weisshorn if there's time. Personally I'd recommend at least two weeks, gives you the option of another acclimitisation day and can take into account bad weather.

To be honest just buy a guidebook, go to the pub with your mate, get a few pints in and plan what routes you want to do between yourselves. You can agree on a plan that suits both your goals and abilities and you'll have a laugh doing it.

Woodie Hopper

by Woodie Hopper » Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:48 pm

There are several huts on or around the Aletch Glacier. You could approach using the Jungfraujoch train and overnight in the Moenchjoch hut. I would recommend starting with the Moench which is a short climb. Next you could stay there again and climb the Jungfrau. Other possibilities might include checking out other huts from there that would allow you to climb the Mittellegigrat on the Eiger, Aletschorn and Finsteraarhorn, for example. In less than one week you could have a great time with these Bernese peaks and still have time to do a few in Wallis.

Hopefully you'll have better luck than I had three weeks ago in Wallis. I gambled on the weather for mid September- and lost. Unfortunately I couldn't put together two weeks any earlier.

Woodie

Moni

by Moni » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:17 pm

If it is your first time in the Alps - how are your glacier/crevasse rescue skills? That would determine what routes to tackle.

mills

by mills » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:06 pm

Hi John, firstly get the guidebooks sit down with your mate and look at the routes that appeal to you and the grade which you want to climb.
Always have a plan `B` just in case you will have to climb in another valley due to weather conditions, this will also give you more flexability.
I would recomend Zermatt as a base as there are so many 4,000m peaks there. I could recomend you a good little hotel which I use every year !
A good acclamitation route would be The Riffelhorn at 2,927m, the Ordinary Route being an easy grade scramble with wonderful views.
Then you have the Breithorn, another good acclamitation peak.
These are some of the peaks I can recomend to you - Pollux, Castor, Allalinhorn, Alphubel, Strahlhorn, Rimpfischhorn, Zinal Rothorn, then you have the higher peaks in the Monte Rosa group also the Dom and Taschhorn.
Have not done the Matterhorn yet, next season `the North Face` so tempting 8) If you decide to do the Hornli Ridge get out of the hut before the masses !
Well you have a bit to go at there John, hope I have been of some help, happy climbing :)

Return to Europe