Flinsch?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
BobSmith

Flinsch?

by BobSmith » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:41 am

Okay...I'm narrowing down my list of "easy" peaks in Glacier to try to summit. Stuff class III or easier and doable as a dayhike.

What about Flinsch Peak?

distressbark

Re: Flinsch?

by distressbark » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:52 am

But for one 20 or 30 foot stretch Flinsch Peak is nothing more than a steep slog. There is a pitch directly below the summit that, although not very exposed, is stiff GNP class III. The shortest route is to pay for the scenic boat ride across Two Medicine Lake, then hike up to Dawson Pass and on the the summit. If you're up for a 20 mile day, hiking to Pitamakan Pass, the on to Dawson Pass and Flinsch Peak, is an amazing way to spend a full day in the park.

The following user would like to thank distressbark for this post
BobSmith

BobSmith

by BobSmith » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:32 pm

Thanks for the advice! I could do a 20-mile day, but I'll likely have two companions who would not be up for that. So the boat ride and easy hike to Dawson Pass it likely the track we'll take. And if I can't talk them into Flinsch, the fallback is to do Mount Helen which I hear is much easier.

Stu Brandel

by Stu Brandel » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:31 am

I was in a similar situation with 2 less summit crazy friends and my 13 year old son, and we did Mount Helen instead of Flinsch and had a great day. We relaxed up on the summit a bit too long, and had to turn on the jets to get back to the boat in time (we had paid for a round trip). BTW - We also enjoyed Calf Robe http://www.summitpost.org/calf-robe-mountain-gnp/527573and Point 8490 http://www.summitpost.org/siyeh-pass-to-point-8490/544849with that group on that trip. In July 2010, there was still a lot of snow that closed off some options I had on my list.

The following user would like to thank Stu Brandel for this post
BobSmith

BobSmith

by BobSmith » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:24 am

All advice much appreciated! I hope to be able to have three days for finding at least one good summit. The rest of the time has to be devoted to easier trails for my wife and friends. We'll do Iceberg Lake, Highline, etc. And I have to set aside one day for whitewater rafting if the water levels are high enough (my wife always insists on a rafting trip).

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)