Footwear challenge: scree-covered ledges

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Steve Pratt

Footwear challenge: scree-covered ledges

by Steve Pratt » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:12 pm

Ok, so looking at boot reviews, I see lots of recommendations for various conditions: stiff-soled mountaineering boots that can climb mid-fifth class rock, approach shoes that can take crampons, etc. I can easily find a shoe for ice, rock, steep snow, long trails, and combinations of those. "This double plastic boot edges really well." stuff like that.

But I don't see any recommendations for the scariest of all scenarios: outsloping scree-covered ledges. Lots of modern shoes will get me to the peak, across the snow field, up the slab and traverse the crack. But what shoe will get me down the choss-covered ramp back to the bottom of the mountain safely? Heavy boots? Light boots with big lugs? Nimble trail shoes? Sticky climbing rubber? Bare feet? What do I wear to avoid falling to my death on the descent? I figure anything that will get me down can get me up.

Mountainjeff

Re: Footwear challenge: scree-covered ledges

by Mountainjeff » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:11 am

I have found that a light pair of leather (or synthetic) mountaineering boots is best (I wear a pair of Raichles that are no longer in production http://www.rei.com/product/748161/raichle-all-degree-pro-sl-gtx-mountaineering-boots-mens). Plastics are overkill and really clunky.
Nothing will really work "great". Scree is nasty stuff no matter what you are wearing. Good balance and maintaining three points of contact is more important than what type of footwear.

Return to Gear