Gannett Peak Late August...Best Route?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
jrjas12

Gannett Peak Late August...Best Route?

by jrjas12 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:57 am

I'm planning a Gannett Attempt somewhere between 8/21-8/26. It looks like a case can be made for both the Southeast Couloir Route and Gooseneck Gully/Bergschrund Route. Any guidance as to which route may be more advisable, given the current conditions? Or just in general, which route is typically better in late August? Thanks!

WyomingSummits

Re: Gannett Peak Late August...Best Route?

by WyomingSummits » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:55 am

jrjas12 wrote:I'm planning a Gannett Attempt somewhere between 8/21-8/26. It looks like a case can be made for both the Southeast Couloir Route and Gooseneck Gully/Bergschrund Route. Any guidance as to which route may be more advisable, given the current conditions? Or just in general, which route is typically better in late August? Thanks!

As long as you can climb rock to get around an open schrund, Gooseneck would be safer. SE couloir I believe is prone to more rockfall.

The following user would like to thank WyomingSummits for this post
jrjas12

no avatar
jrjas12

Re: Gannett Peak Late August...Best Route?

by jrjas12 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:36 pm

Thanks WS. I figure the snow bridge could be in rough shape by that point...just wanted to make sure rock climbing around it was an option.

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)