gear for Denali

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Dbor

gear for Denali

by Dbor » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:57 am

I am in a very initial planning stage of my 2017 Denali climb. I am looking for a full/comprehensive list of all the gear my team and I (4 peops in total) need to have for the trip. As part of the prep efforts I came across various websites/reading materials. I am trying to get a full comprehensive list, to make sure nothing got missed/duplicated. Thank you for your help in advance. db

Fletch

Re: gear for Denali

by Fletch » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:29 am

I feel like Scott linking my own pages, but I'm too lazy to write it all out.

Read this, then ask some follow up questions...

http://www.summitpost.org/denali/150199

Good luck.

ExcitableBoy

Re: gear for Denali

by ExcitableBoy » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:52 pm

If you are looking for a comprehensive list, go to the web sites of American Alpine Institute, Alpine Ascents International, and Mountain Madness. They all have lists of required gear. It would be a simple job of compiling these lists which would detail everything you could possibly need. Then read a few trip reports where the authors include sections on gear, specifically looking for comments about gear they especially liked or did not need.

I actually think gear is the easiest issue to work out, so much information is available online. Stickier problems to work out for your climb include:

-Timing. When to go, how long to go, aligning schedules.
-Strategy. Sled hauling or double carries or a combination, skis or snow shoes, acclimatization schedules, when and how long to rest.
-Food. How many calories per person, per day. Menus.
-Logistics. Booking flights to AK, shuttle to Talkeetna, glacier flights.

Cameron Burns had a good booklet online to help work out the above issues.

EB

Return to Gear