Gear for Elbrus and Mera Peak

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
intrepidk

Gear for Elbrus and Mera Peak

by intrepidk » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:39 am

Hi all,

Quite new to mountaineering and the highest I have been to is Mt Whitney in winter so am not sure if the clothing I have currently would be suitable for Elbrus and Mera peak. I plan to do Elbrus this year in summer and Mera peak in the pre-monsoon 2018 season so I wanted to get the gear now that can be used for both.

Base Layer: SmartWool NTS Mid 250 Zip Top
Mid Layer - fleece: Patagonia R1 Hoody (315g)
Mid Layer- insulated: Arc'teryx Atom LT Hoody (315g)
Outer Layer - parka: Marmot Guides Down Hoody 700 Fill (657.7g)
Shell: Marmot Minimalist Goretex Paclite 2.5L (425.2g)

Bottom
Base Layer: SmartWool NTS Mid 250 Bottom
Soft shell: Outdoor Research Ferosi (303g)
Hard shell: Arctix Men's Essential Snow Pants (635g)

Gloves
Gloves liners: Ibex Merino Wool Glove Liner
Gloves midweight: Carhartt Men's Waterproof Insulated
Gloves heavyweight: Outdoor Research Mt. Baker Modular Mitts

Other Accessories
Gaiters: Outdoor Research Crocodile Gaiters
Balaclava: Some generic brand
Beanie: Minus33 Merino Wool Beanie
Buff: Some generic UV buff
Neck Gaiter: Minus33 Merino Wool Midweight
Plastic Double Boots: To be rented
Crampons: To be rented
Ice axe: To be rented
Harness + Carabiners: To be rented

Should I look at upgrading any items or investing in any other clothing? Appreciate any help.

Scott
Forum Moderator

Re: Gear for Elbrus and Mera Peak

by Scott » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:50 pm

Looks good to me, but if since doing both of those mountains (especially Mera), it would seem better to buy equipment rather than rent it. If you are using it for several weeks, I can't see it being much cheaper to rent than to buy.

no avatar
intrepidk

by intrepidk » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:33 am

Scott wrote:Looks good to me, but if since doing both of those mountains (especially Mera), it would seem better to buy equipment rather than rent it. If you are using it for several weeks, I can't see it being much cheaper to rent than to buy.

Thank you! I plan to rent plastic boots on Elbrus and hopefully buy the same brand instead of renting on Mera. Will see if I can afford to invest upfront for the other items I was planning to rent.

rgg
Forum Moderator

by rgg » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:43 am

intrepidk wrote:
Scott wrote:Looks good to me, but if since doing both of those mountains (especially Mera), it would seem better to buy equipment rather than rent it. If you are using it for several weeks, I can't see it being much cheaper to rent than to buy.

Thank you! I plan to rent plastic boots on Elbrus and hopefully buy the same brand instead of renting on Mera. Will see if I can afford to invest upfront for the other items I was planning to rent.

If you rent boots and they do really well during the climb, I suggest that you ask the rental company if you can buy them. In contrast, when buying new boots, you never know for sure how well they will fit and perform once you're out there. And buying used boots should be a lot cheaper than buying new ones.

herdbull

by herdbull » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:35 pm

Personally I would rent gear for Mera if you don't already have it. Most gear and boots can be rented for a few dollars a day in Kathmandu. It's very inexpensive to rent gear in Kathmandu for any/all climbs in that region.

I do believe Mera Peak requires a guide even though it's only a "trekking" peak. Check with them as most guides have certain shops they work with and get really good deals on rental equipment.

I would also bring microspikes. They'll come in handy in certain areas when you won't have access to your big boots and crampons. Plus they're super quick to slip on and off. You'll really only wear your double boots for 1 day, summit day. We went all the way to High Camp above 19,000' in light hiking boots. You may also want another layer for the bottom. Again check with your guide and they will help you.

You'll also want a helmet for the section right out of Khari up on to the glacier. Glasses and goggles also come to mind. Numerous pairs of socks, heavy and lightweight, sunscreen, ways to keep your water bottles from freezing (insulated holder), trekking poles, ascender as I believe there will a fixed rope for the last 10-20 meters or so.

There's so much more little stuff you'll need but I'm going from memory right now while at work. If I come up with some more I'll post them too.

Have Fun! Mera is a great, off the beaten track trip.

no avatar
intrepidk

by intrepidk » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:38 pm

rgg wrote:If you rent boots and they do really well during the climb, I suggest that you ask the rental company if you can buy them. In contrast, when buying new boots, you never know for sure how well they will fit and perform once you're out there. And buying used boots should be a lot cheaper than buying new ones.

That's great advice, thank you! I wouldn't mind buying second hand gear especially if I was completely comfortable wearing them on an expedition.

no avatar
intrepidk

by intrepidk » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:42 pm

herdbull wrote:Personally I would rent gear for Mera if you don't already have it. Most gear and boots can be rented for a few dollars a day in Kathmandu. It's very inexpensive to rent gear in Kathmandu for any/all climbs in that region.

I do believe Mera Peak requires a guide even though it's only a "trekking" peak. Check with them as most guides have certain shops they work with and get really good deals on rental equipment.

I would also bring microspikes. They'll come in handy in certain areas when you won't have access to your big boots and crampons. Plus they're super quick to slip on and off. You'll really only wear your double boots for 1 day, summit day. We went all the way to High Camp above 19,000' in light hiking boots. You may also want another layer for the bottom. Again check with your guide and they will help you.

You'll also want a helmet for the section right out of Khari up on to the glacier. Glasses and goggles also come to mind. Numerous pairs of socks, heavy and lightweight, sunscreen, ways to keep your water bottles from freezing (insulated holder), trekking poles, ascender as I believe there will a fixed rope for the last 10-20 meters or so.

There's so much more little stuff you'll need but I'm going from memory right now while at work. If I come up with some more I'll post them too.

Have Fun! Mera is a great, off the beaten track trip.

That's my current plan as well. I'm currently looking at some Nepalese guides / organisations for a guided Mera 'trek'.

I had not included all the other small gear such as sunglasses, trekking poles etc but do have them on the list of things to bring over to Elbrus and Mera.

Thanks for all your suggestions!

Return to Gear