Giving up

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
Lodewijk

Re: Giving up

by Lodewijk » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:30 am

Marcsoltan wrote:I’m still trying to figure out why we had to go with a new format. The old one was working just fine for me.

I have to agree with Marc and Scott, but after reading Matt's reactions I guess I understand why the new version of SP was indeed needed. But even if so, I feel we should have been taken along in the process.
It would have been nice, since SP's is built up by the time and effort put in by all of its users, that "we" would have been taken along in the process. What do we users want?, what are our suggestions etc. Since we are the ones knowing all the ins and outs when it comes to the usability of the site we could have made a fine contribution in my opinion. Maybe I have missed this, but I don't think this happened. I guess this would have gotten a more positive response from the SP community.

Besides that, I do think Matt is doing a great job trying to work out all the bugs here on the new version and trying his best to get SP working great again. So thanks for that Matt and keep up the good work.

I do find it difficult to whom I should adress my feedback / concerns though..is it the owners of the site? Who is pulling the strings..for me this is not clear at all.

Last but not least it is clear to see that many of the main contributors aren't submitting any pages since the new version of SP aired, for me this is my biggest concern. I do hope creating pages gets to the same level as it used to be (the ease), otherwise my worries about the future of SP stay.

Teresa Gergen

by Teresa Gergen » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:43 pm

mrchad9 wrote:I have to agree. The couple times I tried access this on my phone the layout was not correct... could not even access some menu items or navigate correctly. So I just stopped trying.

Same here, just trying to read the forum on my phone is impossible.

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:14 pm

Teresa Gergen wrote:Same here, just trying to read the forum on my phone is impossible.

Can you post a screenshot? What type of phone do you have?

Teresa Gergen

by Teresa Gergen » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:32 am

Montana Matt wrote:
Teresa Gergen wrote:Same here, just trying to read the forum on my phone is impossible.

Can you post a screenshot? What type of phone do you have?

Samsung Galaxy J7v, Android 7.0. Android's Chrome browser.
When I click the lower of the two 3-line menu bars, the page scoots over to the right and the two menu options, "Forum Links" and "Useful Links", show at the left. But neither one of them does anything.

So if I do the browser option to show the Desktop Site, and the click the lower of the two 3-line menu bars, I get the "Forum Links" and "Useful Links" below the menu bars. If I click on "Useful Links," it appears to do nothing, but if I then scroll on it, the links within it show up (which isn't at all intuitive, and took me a while to figure out, by accident). (And, BTW, when I figured this out, I went back and tried it on the non-Desktop Site page, and it doesn't work there.)

From here, if I click "View Unread Posts," for a while it was behaving properly, but now I just get sent to my user profile. I tried logging out and back in, with no change.

I can't figure out how to get screenshots on my phone.

Sometimes SP takes so long to load a page on my laptop that I end up giving up even when I have access to my laptop.

Silvia Mazzani
Forum Moderator

by Silvia Mazzani » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:40 pm

Hi Matt, there are many strange things today on the site.
If you press the "What's new" menu button, the page is empty and it is impossible to view the last members' contributions (mountains, routes, images and so on).
Moreover I cannot absolutely edit my pages. It seems as if i haven't done the log-in. This is the screen that appears every time I press "submit":

Recent Forum Posts Current Time: 3:42 am
Thread Time
Report Bugs Here 1:42
Giving up 6:32
Canadian Mark-Andre Leclerk Has... 1:11
Bad/Empty/Incomplete Pages 11:14
Mount Everest News 11:41
SummitPost
FAQ
About
Terms of Service
Site Geo-Map
Contact
Venus Flytraps
Tell Others about SP!
CondividiFacebookTwitterGoogle+
"The trick is to stop thinking of it as "your" money." --IRS auditor
© 2006-2018 SummitPost.org. All Rights Reserved.
You need to login in order to vote!
User Name
Username
Password
Password
Remember me
Forgot your password?
Log me out when I close my browser.
Keep me logged in all the time.
sign in as a user
Don't have an account?
Register now for FREE
Rating available
Suggested routes for you
People who climb the same things as you
Comments Available
Create Albums

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:58 pm

Silvia Mazzani wrote:Hi Matt, there are many strange things today on the site.

I was experimenting with a few things to speed up the site and the server ran out of disk space. It is fixed now.

The good news is that the site should be faster now.

Klenke

by Klenke » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:45 pm

Have the administrators been monitoring the rate of page submittal (per day or whatever) over the years? Have they seen a precipitous drop in that submittal rate since the 'new,' but in my opinion not at all 'improved,' version of SP went live? Would they tell us if they have?

My number one commentary on the new SP is it looks like a cartoon now. And I don't mean that in a nice way.

The following user would like to thank Klenke for this post
T. White

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:45 pm

On a cell phone, even under Wi-Fi with good coverage, it seems that most pages (especially longer ones) only load half way under edit mode, even after waiting a long time and after the phone says everything was loaded.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:02 pm

Scott wrote:On a cell phone, even under Wi-Fi with good coverage, it seems that most pages (especially longer ones) only load half way under edit mode, even after waiting a long time and after the phone says everything was loaded.

I'm back to a desktop. It's not just a phone, it's all pages on desktops and laptops. Any page with a fairly big table simply will not load under edit mode.

It doesn't matter if it's a mountain page, list, custom object, trip report, or whatever. Pages without tables don't seem to be affected as much, but anything with a fairly big table doesn't work under edit mode. Even pages with small tables barely load.

Anything with a fairly large table won't even load partially under edit mode:

won't load.JPG
won't load.JPG (17.95 KiB) Viewed 5869 times

Link:

https://www.summitpost.org/scott-s-wish-list/335481

This is with a fast connection too:

test.JPG
test.JPG (25.2 KiB) Viewed 5867 times

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:51 pm

Klenke wrote:Have the administrators been monitoring the rate of page submittal (per day or whatever) over the years? Have they seen a precipitous drop in that submittal rate since the 'new,' but in my opinion not at all 'improved,' version of SP went live? Would they tell us if they have?

My number one commentary on the new SP is it looks like a cartoon now. And I don't mean that in a nice way.

Page submittals have dropped about 30% this year. It's not as much as I expected though.

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:12 pm

Scott wrote:I'm back to a desktop. It's not just a phone, it's all pages on desktops and laptops. Any page with a fairly big table simply will not load under edit mode.

I had noticed that as well but it seemed to happen far more with a page with a lot of images than on a page with a table. As javascript goes through an indexes each of the images, it uses a lot of processing power on the user's end device.

Does your table have a lot of images in it? Or are there a lot of images on the page? Again, please provide a link to pages where you're noticing problems and we'll work to get them fixed.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:50 pm

Montana Matt wrote:
Scott wrote:I'm back to a desktop. It's not just a phone, it's all pages on desktops and laptops. Any page with a fairly big table simply will not load under edit mode.

I had noticed that as well but it seemed to happen far more with a page with a lot of images than on a page with a table. As javascript goes through an indexes each of the images, it uses a lot of processing power on the user's end device.

Does your table have a lot of images in it? Or are there a lot of images on the page? Again, please provide a link to pages where you're noticing problems and we'll work to get them fixed.

Yes, it could be with pages with a lot of images. Here is a link to one such page:

https://www.summitpost.org/scott-s-wish-list/335481

I can't edit it in any way.

If it is related to images, that would explain why it also affects trip reports as I tend to put a lot of images in my newer trip reports.

If images is the problem, I may edit my pages to show fewer images.

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:01 pm

Scott wrote:If images is the problem, I may edit my pages to show fewer images.

I'd prefer to figure out a solution that allows for as many images as the users want to put in a page.

I think we can either report this to the people who developed the new editor and they will fix it or we can fix the old editor again. Fixing the old editor is on my list of things to do anyway and I'll get to it eventually.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:39 pm

I think we can either report this to the people who developed the new editor and they will fix it or we can fix the old editor again. Fixing the old editor is on my list of things to do anyway and I'll get to it eventually.

I can't use either editor with the pages in question. When edit mode is clicked on, everything is immediately froze up.

Here is what it looks like, but I can click on anything at all (including the old editor tab) or scroll.

It won't let you click in any of the visible fields either (for example, "Page Type", etc.). None of the fields, even the visible ones are clickable.

editor.JPG
editor.JPG (83.02 KiB) Viewed 11210 times

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:38 pm

Scott wrote:I can't use either editor with the pages in question.

You should be able to get to the old editor if you go directly to the page:
https://www.summitpost.org/edit_object. ... _id=335481

PreviousNext

Return to Site Feedback