GNP: Question about Ptarmigan Tunnel Goat Path

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
qwimjim

GNP: Question about Ptarmigan Tunnel Goat Path

by qwimjim » Fri May 15, 2015 11:57 pm

It looks like the ideal way to hike the goat path would be north to south, easier routefinding, the best views always in front of you, etc.. and then downclimbing iceberg notch. Seems like an amazing loops. I've done a ton of hiking, some scrambling, some sport climbing, some guided easy mountaineering.. but between the sketchiness of the goat path and downclimbing iceberg notch, i'm not so sure i'm up for it, especially without someone to show me the way. So I was trying to think of other ways to experience the views without all the sketchiness :) It looks like the views would be best in the middle of the goat path on the scree slope between the two big cliff sections at either end. The guidebook says there's an escape route right around there where you can climb to a notch in the ridge and come back down the iceberg lake side to the hiking trail. So how difficult of a scramble would this be? See map: Escape Route Notch is the red line: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z-8mZ0BwriBw.ky8V-z9XhLfA

I was thinking of either:
A. Hike to Iceberg lake and then taking the Escape Route Notch (red line) to the top of the ridge to check out the view and come back the same way
B. Hike swiftcurrent pass to Ahern pass, then do the southern half of the Goat Path, turn around and retrace my steps back.
C. Hike swiftcurrent pass to Ahern pass, then take the Escape Route Notch (red line) to Iceberg Lake back to Many Glacier.

What do you guys think would be the easiest day? The online guide on here seems to focus on the difficulties of the northern half of the goat path, is the southern section (green line) straightforward and a better path? How difficult would the Escape Route Notch be? I know Ahern pass snowpatch requires ice axe and possibly crampons, so that's not a problem.

Thanks!

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)