goggle fogging when wearing facemask

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Grampahawk

goggle fogging when wearing facemask

by Grampahawk » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:30 pm

I don't know if this has something to do with the extreme cold we've had, lack of wind, and/or my facemask, but I can't seem to get away from my goggles fogging up when I wear a facemask. I don't remember having this problem in the past and I think it's because the times I've needed a mask, there was a pretty stiff wind that may have helped ventilate the goggles. I was out last night in about 5 below 0 weather with just a slight breeze and tried 3 different goggle/facemask combinations and they all fogged up. I have no problem with fogging as long as my nose is outside the mask, but this leaves my cheeks exposed. It seems like anything I use forces the exhaled vapor out through the top of the mask, and right onto the goggles. I'd appreciate suggestions so that I don't get a frostbitten nose and/or cheek.

nartreb

Re: goggle fogging when wearing facemask

by nartreb » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:12 pm

Sounds like your face mask isn't properly vented.

You can also see this problem if your jacket collar/hood is blocking your exhalations, effectively bouncing them onto your facemask. Short of using a snorkel (actually there are some face masks that redirect your breath backwards, which I wouldn't want to wear with a hood), only solution is to open up the collar/hood further.

Differential diagnosis: is the fog on the outside or the inside of the mask? If your goggles are sitting on top of the mask as they should be, and your mask isn't vented, you'll get fog on the inside. The collar-bounce problem will make fog/ice on the outside.

You can also get fog on the inside just from evaporating sweat. solution: cool off: wear a lighter hat or unzip your jacket a little.

You can also try various soaps and waxes to make your goggles more hydrophobic, try double-lens goggles, try goggles with extra large vents. Most of the higher-end ski goggles have the latter two features, and ski shops will sell anti-fog balms. But if you're blowing hot breath onto cold goggles, you're going to have a problem.

Grampahawk

by Grampahawk » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:07 pm

nartreb wrote:Sounds like your face mask isn't properly vented.

You can also see this problem if your jacket collar/hood is blocking your exhalations, effectively bouncing them onto your facemask. Short of using a snorkel (actually there are some face masks that redirect your breath backwards, which I wouldn't want to wear with a hood), only solution is to open up the collar/hood further.

Differential diagnosis: is the fog on the outside or the inside of the mask? If your goggles are sitting on top of the mask as they should be, and your mask isn't vented, you'll get fog on the inside. The collar-bounce problem will make fog/ice on the outside.

You can also get fog on the inside just from evaporating sweat. solution: cool off: wear a lighter hat or unzip your jacket a little.

You can also try various soaps and waxes to make your goggles more hydrophobic, try double-lens goggles, try goggles with extra large vents. Most of the higher-end ski goggles have the latter two features, and ski shops will sell anti-fog balms. But if you're blowing hot breath onto cold goggles, you're going to have a problem.

Thanks for the tips. I've used this same mask on Rainier, Forbes, and many winter hikes in the Whites but never with this big a problem. It has a full open vent hole under the nostrils and is vented under in the mouth area. The fogging is happening on the inside of the goggles. I was not overheated and was vented well in other areas. The difference is probably the goggles. I lost my old ones last year. I tried two different types last night but they didn't work. One had a double lens. My son has a very nice ski goggle. Maybe I'll try his tonight. Maybe it's just time for a new mask, or the combination mask/goggle is not sealing the area and allowing my breath to escape upwards.

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:42 pm

try "Cat Crap"...is is a wax product that we use in BC skiing, breathing heavy on ascents is always an issue

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:18 am

It is also a problem for me when it's really cold. My non-fog goggles work well, but when working hard I sweat in them. If it's going to be really cold, I take both and switch between my glacier glasses and no-fog goggles depending on how cold it is.

Cat Crap also works well, but does wear off.

drpw

by drpw » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:26 pm

I know exactly what you're talking about, you tuck your face mask into your goggles to get complete coverage but all that does is route the hot breath right into the gogs, I get the same thing a lot of times and mostly it can be fixed by getting the bottom edge of the goggle to fit better, mostly happens with my balaclava more than my regular facemask. You might try a bigger goggle with more foam, my favorites are the electric EG2, I don't have them but a friend does and I'm jealous every time I use them, definitely the next gog I buy.

Teresa Gergen

by Teresa Gergen » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:43 pm

My fleece-lined neoprene Seirus face mask:
http://www.skis.com/headbands-and-necku ... 95722.html
has two triangular areas of breathing holes over the mouth area, to the left and right of a center seam. I cut two full triangles out where the holes are, leaving enough material to keep the seam intact. Start with a small triangle and enlarge it a little if it's not enough. Wear sunscreen lip balm.

Grampahawk

by Grampahawk » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:01 pm

Teresa Gergen wrote:My fleece-lined neoprene Seirus face mask:
http://www.skis.com/headbands-and-necku ... 95722.html
has two triangular areas of breathing holes over the mouth area, to the left and right of a center seam. I cut two full triangles out where the holes are, leaving enough material to keep the seam intact. Start with a small triangle and enlarge it a little if it's not enough. Wear sunscreen lip balm.

I'll check it out. It looks almost identical to the one I'm using, but the contour behind the nose of the Serius looks better. Maybe mine is just stretched out, or something. I like the idea of making bigger holes in the mouth also.

Return to Gear