Gorgonio - South Fork Trail Conditions

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
KathyW

by KathyW » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:14 am

Today, after South Fork Meadows there were tracks here and there but they don't seem to follow the trails. I've added more snowshoe tracks that don't follow the trail either. My intention was to go up to Dry Lake via the drainage, but I changed my mind at the start of the drainage and went up a bit to the east of Christmas Tree Hill (Xmas Tree Hill is near the bump marked 9144' on the topo, but it's slightly higher than bump 9144'). I turned around just before 9400' where I got a good view of the North Face of San Gorgonio, Big Draw, and Little Draw.

Anyway, the trail hasn't been broken to Dry Lake, but people have been up higher than there via various routes.

Anyway, it's beautiful out there and the track is packed and easy to follow to South Fork Meadows.

View of San G and the Big Draw from where I turned around today:

More pics, but lots of repeats and no labels: http://kathywing.smugmug.com/California-Hiking-Scrambling/Southern-California-Mountains/South-Fork-Trail-San-Gorgonio/11254645_CvFoZ#P-1-15

Previous

Return to California