GPS for a dog?

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
User Avatar
MoapaPk

 
Posts: 7780
Joined: Fri May 13, 2005 7:42 pm
Thanked: 787 times in 519 posts

by MoapaPk » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:58 am

The dog should learn to use a map and compass!

User Avatar
lcarreau

 
Posts: 4226
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:27 pm
Thanked: 1897 times in 1414 posts

by lcarreau » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:37 am

The dog should learn how to mow the lawn ????


Image

User Avatar
peakhugger

 
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:27 am
Thanked: 7 times in 7 posts

by peakhugger » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:04 pm

tigerlilly wrote:Is that the smallest they come? Seems pretty big. There is nothing smaller?


they're not that big:
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=15512#specsTab

at 250g, you're dog probably won't even notice it if he's over 40 lbs.

another option (within cell coverage, as some have eluded to above):
http://www.zoombak.com/products/pet/

these are only 70g...


on the other hand, if you're out in the woods and your dog is off leash (and not under strict voice control), he may be liable to chase, harass, or consume wildlife (or be consumed himself!) unethical in my opinion (and to many - see Principle 6)

User Avatar
MoapaPk

 
Posts: 7780
Joined: Fri May 13, 2005 7:42 pm
Thanked: 787 times in 519 posts

by MoapaPk » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:52 pm

Can you give us a little more information where you would use said device?

Most hand-held GPS units are just receivers; the Garmin dog unit also must have a transmitter, which takes up extra mass.

Cell phones transmit a small "here I am signal" that doesn't have to be that strong, on the assumption that there are cell towers nearby. In areas with good cell coverage, cell phones now use GPS assisted by cell-tower triangulation (aGPS), which is much more useful in urban canyons. As alluded above, many cell phones can be used with apps that track the whereabouts. Just remember that most cell phones are easily damaged by water and rough use, whereas most field GPS units are hardened and waterproof. So you can't just stick a human-intended cel phone on your dog's neck.

Probably near DC, aGPS is more reliable than the heavier GPS collar. Check the coverage map:
http://www.zoombak.com/coverage/

User Avatar
Big Benn

 
Posts: 6591
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:50 am
Thanked: 1141 times in 694 posts

by Big Benn » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:33 pm

GPS for dogs won't work. I am pretty sure of that.

I got one for our cat and it found it's paws were too big to operate the buttons.

Although I have never owned a dog I think the basics are the same as a cat, (you shove food in one end, then try and get it outside the house before it comes out the other end), I am fairly sure the same problem will occur.

Someone mentioned a map and compass. That may possibly work if dogs are more intelligent than cats, as I could never get over the concept of "True North" and "Magnetic North" to our cat.

Hope the above helps Tiger Lilly.

User Avatar
rhyang

 
Posts: 8960
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:55 pm
Thanked: 59 times in 38 posts

by rhyang » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:36 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

User Avatar
MoapaPk

 
Posts: 7780
Joined: Fri May 13, 2005 7:42 pm
Thanked: 787 times in 519 posts

by MoapaPk » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:16 pm

One problem with GPS and dogs: dogs are unable to understand the concept of spare batteries. Some humans share this affliction. Thus if the dog is descending in the middle of a whiteout, and the batteries run out, s/he won't know what to do, and will probably chew a hole in the nearest sleeping bag out of frustration.

User Avatar
Buz Groshong

 
Posts: 2845
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:58 pm
Thanked: 687 times in 484 posts

by Buz Groshong » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:19 pm

tigerlilly wrote:I don't know. People lose dogs all the time around here. I lost one on a hike today in the woods, but found the beastie.

Someone should make an iphone app for lost dogs... with a teensie tiny gps unit you can attach to the collar. When you lose your dog on a hike, pull out your iphone and voila. Rover is in the parking lot at the head of the trail waiting for you. :-D


Dogs shouldn't be running loose in the woods. That's very inconsiderate of of other hikers who might not want to deal with your dog. It's also inconsiderate of wildlife; loose dogs will run deer and kill them. :roll:

Someone should make a collar for dog owners that shocks them when the dog gets too far away. :wink:

User Avatar
Brad Marshall

 
Posts: 1948
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:54 pm
Thanked: 17 times in 15 posts

by Brad Marshall » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:20 pm

Bryan Benn wrote:Someone mentioned a map and compass. That may possibly work if dogs are more intelligent than cats, as I could never get over the concept of "True North" and "Magnetic North" to our cat.


Being a cat person I know for a fact they can use a map, compass and GPS. They just don't care about anyone other than themselves and will come back whenever they feel like it. :lol:

User Avatar
butitsadryheat

 
Posts: 8266
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:59 pm
Thanked: 2936 times in 2159 posts

by butitsadryheat » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:29 am

MoapaPk wrote:One problem with GPS and dogs: dogs are unable to understand the concept of spare batteries. Some humans share this affliction. Thus if the dog is descending in the middle of a whiteout, and the batteries run out, s/he won't know what to do, and will probably chew a hole in the nearest sleeping bag out of frustration.


Dogs would carry spare batteries if they could, but they can't, for the same reason they carry no money.

No pockets!

User Avatar
John Duffield

 
Posts: 2461
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:48 pm
Thanked: 2505 times in 1391 posts

by John Duffield » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:21 am

Buz Groshong wrote:
tigerlilly wrote:I don't know. People lose dogs all the time around here. I lost one on a hike today in the woods, but found the beastie.

Someone should make an iphone app for lost dogs... with a teensie tiny gps unit you can attach to the collar. When you lose your dog on a hike, pull out your iphone and voila. Rover is in the parking lot at the head of the trail waiting for you. :-D


Dogs shouldn't be running loose in the woods. That's very inconsiderate of of other hikers who might not want to deal with your dog. It's also inconsiderate of wildlife; loose dogs will run deer and kill them. :roll:

Someone should make a collar for dog owners that shocks them when the dog gets too far away. :wink:


I agree with all of this with the following caveat: Badly trained dogs do shit like that. Assholes that raise their dogs like that should be shocked, 220 V. I've seen well trained "Town and Country" dogs who are well behaved in any surroundings.

User Avatar
lcarreau

 
Posts: 4226
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:27 pm
Thanked: 1897 times in 1414 posts

by lcarreau » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:08 am

Cats ask for directions.

On da other hand, DOGS usually don't care 'bout directions. Day depend on their owner!


Yep, seen it happen 'many-a-time' in da woods.


Unless, of course, we're referring to Data's cat "Spot."

Image


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-7s2PAxsww

User Avatar
Ejnar Fjerdingstad

 
Posts: 7511
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:34 am
Thanked: 1446 times in 909 posts

by Ejnar Fjerdingstad » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:14 am

Think what a dictatorship might do with this (for humans). Know where everybody is all the time!

But of course at least North Korea is probably too poor to afford it!

User Avatar
lcarreau

 
Posts: 4226
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:27 pm
Thanked: 1897 times in 1414 posts

by lcarreau » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:00 pm

I'm not sure if North Korea has dogs - just cats !!!

User Avatar
Brad Marshall

 
Posts: 1948
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:54 pm
Thanked: 17 times in 15 posts

by Brad Marshall » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:33 pm

Ejnar Fjerdingstad wrote:Think what a dictatorship might do with this (for humans). Know where everybody is all the time!

But of course at least North Korea is probably too poor to afford it!


Not only dictatorships. I believe many US citizens worry about their own government keeping tabs on them and they have the money. Personally, I couldn't give a shit because I'm just not that important in the grand scheme of things.

PreviousNext

Return to General

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests