Guide books for SPS peaks

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
anita

Re: Guide books for SPS peaks

by anita » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:39 pm

I'll take the gourmet meals and luxurious hotel stays!

Daria

by Daria » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:41 pm

Bob Burd wrote:
1000Pks wrote:Burd, is this true?

Sorry for the late response, but I've been out ... wait for it ... hiking. Yes Pete, she's the real deal. Young, cute, and married. You're safe.

you keep saying toxo is cute, you know this makes me jealous!!

Bob Burd wrote:
Matthew and I tried to get you to join us for Mopah/Umpah,

I still need to do those!!
I'm the top troll.

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

by Bob Burd » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:50 pm

Daria wrote:you keep saying toxo is cute, you know this makes me jealous!!

Intended. I also tell people you're cute to make toxo jealous.

Daria wrote:
Bob Burd wrote:
Matthew and I tried to get you to join us for Mopah/Umpah,

I still need to do those!!

Pete, Daria is young, cute and single. Not quite as safe as toxo, but still fun.

Daria

by Daria » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:00 pm

Bob, which picture do you like more?

or

I'm the top troll.

The following user would like to thank Daria for this post
John Duffield

anita

by anita » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:06 pm

:shock:

seano

by seano » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:18 am

1000Pks wrote:Then there's your Milestone or similar in a day. Some 50 miles, 12,000' gain. Then presumably you have Daria and Laura along. Seems out of character. If you and they were placing in the WS100, w cash awards on winning, I can accept this. NOTHING there.

*snerk*

It helps to have at least some idea what you're talking about before you spout off like this -- otherwise, it just makes you sound clueless. San Juan Solstice is "50 miles, 12,000' gain," and the winning time last year was 7:35:03. The winner almost certainly received a big log and no money for his efforts. Doing that kind of mileage and elevation in less than 24 hours has nothing to do with winning ultras, which has little to do with money.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:26 am

I've decided that toxo also deserves a Nobel Prize in Medicine.

Daria

by Daria » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:31 am

1000Pks wrote:

IMHO, Daria, if you are anywhere for real, I'm interested. But similarly, no video or summit twirl, as described on my website how to do and submit for Nevada Peaks Club membership. I'm old and slow, by your pace, so if real, I don't want to slow you down. I have infinite time, which is now mostly past. I have stated that I find you attractive, to be friendly, and there was something in these posts before I finally left.

Thank you for the kind words, Petie.

I'm up for anything in the desert, being the fully blowEN desert rat that I am.

My preferences for the Sierra these days are light and fast dayhikes (fast=as long as they are under 24 hours and I get back to my car), 4th class routes up peaks and 4th class ridge traverse linkups of Peaks. Such as Ruby-Mills traverse and Basin to South Basin peak, to name a few just from most recent peak bagging context within the last few weeks.

PS. you should have come out to my Desert Peaks Section presentation last May regarding Inyo double traverse and technical first descents in the Inyo range.

If you want to do Mopah/Umpah, then pm me. I like to keep my outdoor schedule or plans/objectives pretty much running continuously.
I'm the top troll.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:00 am

Before you guys go with this "1000pks" you might check to make sure he is who he says he is. I checked through his web site, and see very few pictures of him. I do a see a few pictures of his signature in registers, but I've heard that many people paid someone else to sign in for them, especially on DPS summits. (This practice is called the "Radcliffe fraud" is some circles; in 1931, 1037 students from Radcliffe formed a human chain on Mount Monadnock, and passed down the log book to be signed by the person at the bottom.) Since we generally don't have pictures of him on the same mountains (as his signatures), I'd be suspicious.

Also, descriptions of how much he paid for services cause me doubts. Frankly, I don't think it is possible for a human to keep such detailed accounts. The quoted prices for meals and gasoline seem 5-10% too low, sometimes as much as 20% too low, even with a groupon.

You guys are young and naive, and you need some of us worldly types to protect your innocence.

seano

by seano » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:45 am

1000Pks wrote:
seano wrote:It helps to have at least some idea what you're talking about before you spout off like this -- otherwise, it just makes you sound clueless. San Juan Solstice is "50 miles, 12,000' gain," and the winning time last year was 7:35:03. The winner almost certainly received a big log and no money for his efforts. Doing that kind of mileage and elevation in less than 24 hours has nothing to do with winning ultras, which has little to do with money.

I don't know exactly about WS 100, but the publicity alone would be worth doing it.

You don't "know exactly" about any of what you quoted. How many Americans make their livings as ultra runners?

Daria

by Daria » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:52 am

multi desert bags sound good to me.

I have Mondays and Fridays off, btw including sat, sunday which is very conducive for multi desert bags.

have my eyes on some northern sierra SPS peaks as well, still need to do those. The ones south of Tahoe but north of Lee Vining
I'm the top troll.

seano

by seano » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:29 am

1000Pks wrote:https://www.google.com/#q=ultra+racing+prizes

You don't "know exactly" about any of what you quoted. How many Americans make their livings as ultra runners?

Please try again.

The following user would like to thank seano for this post
Jesus Malverde

anita

by anita » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:47 am

I'm driving to the Gunks!
If you send me your number I can call over the weekend.

TheGeneral

by TheGeneral » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:48 pm

ob, the general pattern you exhibit seems to be avoidance. By you, you don't wait for old slow men, so why bother for me to hike together? Never an offer for any accommodation should you be for real. I visit your site daily now, to get what looks to be current photos for conditions. Just photos, which we all know can either be photoshopped or taken by who knows? I have surmised that this is a Harvard prank, with maybe 10-20 guys relaying a camera for the photos, then you to be inserted where at the top or what.

I always knew Burd was a fraud!
"I would make this war as severe as possible, and show no symptoms of tiring till the South begs for mercy." -- William Tecumseh Sherman

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:28 pm

1000Pks wrote:At the bottom of my account pages are a link, usually "movie clips." That takes you to a HD video or a home page for video, if you are enabled of high speed DSL. 18 mbps is recommended. I appear as myself in much of my videos, with long running action though boring, soon to be even more if I can get some help. I see NO ONE that does similar.

But those are for the more recent easy trips. I don't find such clips for your earlier DPS trips, even though you were perfectly capable of carrying a video cassette recorder or even super 8 with you. Besides, with today's software you can edit your head into those photos; Colbert does it all the time, and he doesn't have your experience with internet cameras and photography. There is a motivation -- increase visibility of your site, pull in advertising money from sponsors. People read your site, see the reference to Bellagio, then decide to go there. You could get under-the-table payments from the hotels, maybe even special deals on Asian massage in your room.

I don't have your economic resources, so I am forced to use lower-bandwidth animated gifs.

PreviousNext

Return to California