Guide books for SPS peaks

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

Re: Guide books for SPS peaks

by Bob Burd » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:02 am

Pete, I'd be happy to host your pages for free on my own website. No cost to you, plus you'd have the same editorial access to update/change your pages. We could simply redirect your domain name to my IP address and it would look identical to the outside world. How about it?

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

by Bob Burd » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:21 pm

I probably couldn't host all the video, but the rest of your site comes in at just under 3Gb which I could easily accommodate. No added cost since I host it on my own server. And I can't vouch for the non-evilness all users, but Scott is a good guy and has a negative carbon footprint - he grows trees for a hobby. I haven't seen him carry a pee-bottle though, so he might need further vetting.

The following user would like to thank Bob Burd for this post
Jesus Malverde, seano

Jesus Malverde

by Jesus Malverde » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:55 pm

1000Pks wrote: btw, the JMT again is in my works, and I intend to do it without any pollution whatsoever aside from breathing, anyone interested, I'm here.

Pete/Bob,

Sorry to butt in, but I just gotta ask (ok,I'll bite):
How are you gonna avoid #2 "pollution" on an JMT push?
You gonna carry a CMC (Clean Mountain Can) the whole way or just hold it?

Best,
JM

seano

by seano » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:13 pm

Jesus Malverde wrote:
1000Pks wrote: btw, the JMT again is in my works, and I intend to do it without any pollution whatsoever aside from breathing, anyone interested, I'm here.

Pete/Bob,

How are you gonna avoid #2 "pollution" on an JMT push?

I'm guessing a sturdy can and a sufficiently large drying tarp. Simply boiling it down would, of course, pollute by burning propane.

The following user would like to thank seano for this post
Jesus Malverde

Jesus Malverde

by Jesus Malverde » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:36 pm

Sounds like Ray might need to add a section update:
:)
http://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Backpackin ... 0963235931

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

by Bob Burd » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:38 pm

1000Pks wrote:Please tell me about your server sit, as that's what I'm looking to do myself. The computer company tells me that I have to deal with the ISP, which I found impossible. My site in its entirety is huge, but I get a far better deal than say Go Daddy or what. I see that you must have some home server as I have been unable to access snwburd at times, when I presume your computer is either down or turned off.

I have a cheap desktop PC running ubuntu linux which makes it easy to set up a home server. Apache2 runs the web server, mysql runs the database, other code written in Perl. Unless you're still using DSL or dial-up, most ISPs provide a virtually static IP which makes it easy to point your domain name to your home PC. All free, except for the time involved. Sometimes the site goes down for various reasons, usually when I'm in the mountains and it knows I can't do anything about it. Linux isn't so much an operating system as a self-aware digital imp.

Jesus Malverde wrote:How are you gonna avoid #2 "pollution" on an JMT push?
You gonna carry a CMC (Clean Mountain Can) the whole way or just hold it?

Maybe burn the poop to heat your meals? Compost it along the way? If you're carrying all your meals along the way, the (dried) weight of your poop has to be less than the food, right? So it shouldn't be a terrible burden to carry it all out with you. I'm planning to wait until Pete nails down the best practices before I give it a whirl.

Jesus Malverde

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:57 pm

Poop is 75% water. You could carry an extra skillet to cook the poop dry, then store it in a DPC (dehydrated poop can). This process will virtually guarantee that you will not have to share campsites, especially after word gets out (I can imagine the trail names now). The dried poop can be used as fuel to dry more poop, or can be placed in a biofuel generator to power a charging station for electric cars.

The following user would like to thank MoapaPk for this post
Jesus Malverde, Princess Buttercup, seano

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

by Bob Burd » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:36 pm

Another possibility is to simply adopt a bear's eating habits for a few days leading up to the start of the journey. Then you would be pooping berries and other stuff virtually indistinguishable from a bear which means you would be no more of a burden to nature. This frees you up to poop pretty much anywhere including along the trail which will be appreciated by those hikers who enjoy breaking apart animal scat to learn their diet and other secrets all the while pretending it's ok to have their fingers covered in poop.

MoapaPk

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:27 pm

That's a good idea! As some bears live by pillaging hiker food, you might not have to change your habits at all.

no avatar
KathyW

by KathyW » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:27 pm

Pete: Welcome back!

Kathy

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

by Bob Burd » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:55 pm

MoapaPk wrote:That's a good idea! As some bears live by pillaging hiker food, you might not have to change your habits at all.

Yeah, I considered this, thinking maybe you don't need to bring any food at all. But done to excess, your poop would begin to look like people poop again and suddenly you would be once more despoiling the wilderness. A razor's edge, to be sure.

TheGeneral

by TheGeneral » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:45 am

It might be doable. Going from south to north, you'd only have to carry about 4 days worth, and then you can dump at the throne at Wood's Creek. After that it's a couple of days to Muir Trail Ranch, a couple of days to VVR, then Red's Meadow, Tuolumne, Sunrise, and then the valley.
"I would make this war as severe as possible, and show no symptoms of tiring till the South begs for mercy." -- William Tecumseh Sherman

Jesus Malverde

by Jesus Malverde » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:38 am

1000Pks wrote:With the ultra light gear that I have now, the waste weight will be the main weight, after say 3 days.

Pete,
To paraphrase the wise man: a pee bottle should be its own Coney Island of the Mind.

Speaking of pee bottles, the 96 oz. Nalgene Wide-Mouth Cantene worked great on Denali for holding pee. Perhaps these might work better than a standard hard bottle for your JMT trip?
http://www.rei.com/product/626195/nalge ... e-96-fl-oz
BTW, your full-body-waste-packout JMT trip might bring new meaning to the term: Range of Light. :)
Best,
JM

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

by Bob Burd » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:22 am

I suspect he's referring to Range of Light (impact).

Be sure to check those vintage bottles for leaks and brittleness. Would be a bummer to have your gear take on the scent of ammonia, though it might keep critters away if you're carrying around your own territory marking.

seano

by seano » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:24 pm

MoapaPk wrote:The dried poop can be used as fuel to dry more poop, or can be placed in a biofuel generator to power a charging station for electric cars.

Or to boil the pee. Seriously: "We’ll process the waste chemically, combusting the feces and using that energy to drive the evaporation of urine." This system will also guarantee you your own private camping area along the JMT, even in peak season.

PreviousNext

Return to California