Hamilton Climbing?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Canada and Alaska. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Canada and Alaska Climbing Partners forum.
ADKCOBRA

Hamilton Climbing?

by ADKCOBRA » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:33 am

I have heard rumors of some roped climbing outside of Hamilton an area called the snake or cobra something like that, also a cliff called The Buffalo anyone know about these crags?
(anything between the lakes would be cool)

ksrey

Re: Hamilton Climbing?

by ksrey » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:01 am

Hey,

I'm assuming you mean Rattlesnake Point in the Halton region, Milton being the closest town (north of Hamilton, ON). It's about a 30-45 min drive. Lots of routes there. The place gets rather busy so you better get there early. The Buffalo Crag is also near by. If you're into bouldering, there's always the Niagara Glen which is close to the Niagara Butterfly Conservatory.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

-KS

Brad Marshall

by Brad Marshall » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:03 pm

Good info ksrey and welcome to SP. In addition to Rattlesnake Point, known locally as the beach due to how busy it is on weekends and the fact that it's the only crag where rock climbing and rappelling lessons are taught, there is also a lot of great trad and sport routes nearby at Mt. Nemo.

ADKCOBRA

by ADKCOBRA » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:20 pm

Very cool! Is it easy to go there and get/give a belay what about at Mount Nemo? I typed in Ontario climbing in Google and found this stellar website whoever put it together deserves a thanks. http://www.verticalaim.com/joomla/index.php

Brad Marshall

by Brad Marshall » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:32 pm

Both these areas are very easy to access because they are conservation areas (parking and trails avaiable) but charge a nominal entry fee. Both areas are fine for belaying. Because of its aspect the Mt. Nemo climbs tend to be much cooler temp wise in the summer. It's also much less crowded.

ADKCOBRA

by ADKCOBRA » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:42 pm

Maybe I should rephrase my question,if I went there alone would I be able to link up with someone and trade some belays maybe let them use my gear to lead on or something like that?

Return to Canada and Alaska