Heated Boots - Evolution of gear or ethical dilemma?

Minimally moderated forum for climbing related hearsay, misinformation, and lies.
Nefsek

Heated Boots - Evolution of gear or ethical dilemma?

by Nefsek » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:15 am

Howdy fellow SP'ers. As I sit here in a hotel awaiting my early season ascent of Shasta tomorrow, I've had some time to pontificate. One of the things that has been bugging me is Columbia's release of electronically heated boots. Not having purchased a pair, I have no idea whether they are designed for mountaineering or simply for hiking and backpacking.

I'd like to know your thoughts on the following:

Future generations of these boots will undoubtedly be targeting mountaineers. Are these boots "ethical" for mountaineers to wear during an ascent? If so, where does one draw the ethical boundary, as gear becomes more and more advanced for our sport? Isn't it possible to conceive that one day, a company may manufacture an entire suit that is electronically heated, rechargeable using solar energy, and would completely isolate the climber from the harsh environments that are part of the mountaineering experience?

Personally, I view these boots as no different than foot warmers that last an indefinite amount of time, dependent on recharging of course. My concern is where this type of gear will lead the climbing community in the future.

pinscar

by pinscar » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:50 am

Some people would have you believe the only truly ethical way to climb is completely naked, without the aid of rope or any other equipment.

While I certainly do not subscribe to that idea, I do not personally own (nor do I desire) a SPOT, or a GPS, and I do not take my cell phone past the trailhead. I do pine for the days of old when climbers/mountaineers were a decidedly tougher lot, but I realize that time marches on.
Last edited by pinscar on Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
mconnell

by mconnell » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:00 am

Heated socks have been around for at least 20 years. They never caught on outside of the hunting crowd.

Andinistaloco

by Andinistaloco » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:14 am

I haven't looked into it, but wouldn't they be heavier? So at first guess, wouldn't you be less likely to get frostbite but more likely to not make it or to be more tired and more prone to accidents?

Obviously the question of what's "ethical" and what's not is going to provide a lot of gray areas between those who think you should climb alone and in 1940's gear and those who think having a Sherpa drag you and your gear up a mountain is just fine and dandy. But I would think that heated boots would be far more "ethical" (if you can call it that) than things like bottled O2 and diamox. The boots might not improve your chances of climbing something - just your chances of not incurring permanent damage while doing so.

bird

by bird » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:44 pm

mconnell wrote:Heated socks have been around for at least 20 years. They never caught on outside of the hunting crowd.

Heated ski boots too. Never caught on.

rhyang

by rhyang » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:58 pm

I use chemical heat packs in my single boots in the winter. Sometimes I use them in my gloves too.

Did some googling -

http://www.columbia.com/Bugathermo/Buga ... lt,pg.html
http://www.columbia.com/Bugathermo/BM13 ... lt,pd.html

Looks like a snowshoeing / snowhiking boot ..

btw Last season there were heated gloves with Aevex heating elements .. here's a thread about it. I didn't end up trying them, didn't need to.

btw2 What did people climb in before the advent of double plastic boots ? Leathers.

Guyzo

by Guyzo » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:29 pm

Leather boots.....

before that, you stuffed grass into your boots...

ksolem

by ksolem » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:27 pm

My question would be: How warm are these boots when the heater goes on the fritz?

:idea:

kheegster

by kheegster » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:44 pm

I wouldn't really rely on active technology (i.e. anything that runs on batteries) in the mountains as you're be in deep doo doo if anything fails.

Passive technology (carbon fiber, aerogel etc) I wouldn't have qualms about using.

Yeti

by Yeti » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:11 am

mconnell wrote:Heated socks have been around for at least 20 years. They never caught on outside of the hunting crowd.

Because they don't NEED them, they're just poofs who want them.

If you're climbing someplace that cold, you NEED warmth for your feet, or you will most certainly loose them.

HEated boots will have less insulation because A) They need less, they have internal heat, and B) it would make things too hot, causing sweat, and sweat is bad.

My worry is that heated boots will not keep your feet warm when the heaters aren't running, and I will not trust my feet to some AA batteries and DC heaters. Insulation technology seems to be moving faster than battery technology, so I'll stick with regular boots, with aerogel insulation. Sweeeeet.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:25 am

I have no idea whether they are designed for mountaineering or simply for hiking and backpacking.

The website from Columbia says they last "up to eight hours":

http://www.columbia.com/Bugathermo/Buga ... lt,pg.html

An innovative, rechargeable heating system keeps feet warm for up to eight hours

Up to eight hours can mean much less than eight hours and you have to charge them again. They wouldn't do much good on things like expedition mountaineering, but maybe for a short stroll around the yard.

Andinistaloco

by Andinistaloco » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:00 pm

Only for eight hours (and probably less)??!?!??

Who's their target audience for these? Skiiers? People who go on expeditions and only climb for half the day?

96avs01

by 96avs01 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:40 pm

Andinistaloco wrote:Only for eight hours (and probably less)??!?!??

Who's their target audience for these? Skiiers? People who go on expeditions and only climb for half the day?

Possibly targeting occupations that must work outside in cold weather? I damn sure would have used a pair (provided they work) doing chores on the farm in SD during the winter.

Yeti

by Yeti » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:00 am

96avs01 wrote:
Andinistaloco wrote:Only for eight hours (and probably less)??!?!??

Possibly targeting occupations that must work outside in cold weather? I damn sure would have used a pair (provided they work) doing chores on the farm in SD during the winter.

The only request for overly warm boots and heated boots that didn't get a "you poof" from me was an equipment operator. Sitting in a tractor for 8 hours a day, there's really no way to keep your feet warm.

The Bugathermo is for people who like being outside, but don't like doing anything outside. ;)

Next

Return to Ethics, Spray, and Slander