High Uintas 5 Day Route Help

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the great state of Utah, from the alpine peaks to the desert slots. Please post partners requests and trip plans here or in the Utah Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
micwilson84

High Uintas 5 Day Route Help

by micwilson84 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:39 pm

My wife and I are relatively new to backpacking but are in great physical condition and experienced outdoors people. I am trying to piece together a 5 day pack in the High Uintas. Originally we were thinking of taking on High Line but that is probably more than we should take on for our first trip. After some research I'm looking at how we can hike the Henry's Fork trail, summit King's Peak and then make our way into Red Castle trail. I am hoping to do a loop back to the car if possible. Trip date is mid august. Thanks for any help and suggestions.

ZeeJay
Forum Moderator

Re: High Uintas 5 Day Route Help

by ZeeJay » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:01 pm

The following loop goes to the Red Castle area first and then Kings Peak, but you could do it in reverse.

Start at China Meadows. Take the East Fork Smiths Fork trail about 9 miles to a junction north of Lower Red Castle Lake. Turn left onto the trail that goes on the east side of Red Castle. Follow this trail to Smiths Fork Pass. On the other side of the pass, descend to the Highline trail. Turn left on the Highline Trail to Anderson Pass. Park your heavy stuff and go to Kings Peak and return to the pass. Make your way to Gunsight Pass. Desend to the north on the Henrys Fork Trail to the intersection with trail #116. The sign says "Henrys Fork Lake". Take trail #116 back to the Smiths Fork Trail.

From Smiths Fork Pass, if you have time, you can climb 12694 and then 12825 for a spectacular view of Red Castle.

Return to Utah