Hiking after Grade 1 MCL Sprain

Tips, tricks, workouts, injury advice.
Castlereagh

Hiking after Grade 1 MCL Sprain

by Castlereagh » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:36 am

What's the typical experience of most people here after a light MCL sprain?

A bit of background, I was stupid enough 8 days ago on a bachelor party in Savannah GA to jump in front of a car at 2 AM in a downpour (long story, but not really). Luckily enough, despite getting flipped upside down and into the air I'm only dealing with a Grade 1 MCL sprain (and somehow not even a scratch or bruise on my body). Definitely have been feeling it improving every day (knock on wood), and honestly, most of my pain right now is from sprained ab muscles on the opposite side from overextending it on crutches (done with those damn things hopefully) and probably general overcompensation on the opposite end of my body.

I was hoping that after two weeks I'd be able to get back on easier, shorter trails. Managed to hit 3 MPH on the treadmill tonight, it was tough and I didn't hold at that speed for long, but was able to stay at 2 MPH a lot of the time. I know every injury and every body is different, but just wondering though, in fellow SP'er cases here, how long after a similar mild sprain were you able to feel comfortable on the trail? Or on longer distance trails, and then after that, backcountry travel, loose scree and talus, scrambling, etc?

aglane

Re: Hiking after Grade 1 MCL Sprain

by aglane » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:07 am

Hyper-flexed the leg a few years ago rolling into self-arrest and catching a toe. Heard the MCL pop, but not a complete rupture.

It took some time, but exercising all the nearby muscles is the right thing to do. Leg presses are very good. Sturdy hiking within a month or two, climbing longer.

Good luck.

IagosGhost

Re: Hiking after Grade 1 MCL Sprain

by IagosGhost » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:59 pm

I sprained (grade 1) my MCL in June this summer. I went to physical therapy for two weeks but had to stop when I went on vacation. My knee is just now-after two months-feeling normal. I may go back to the physical therapist/athletic trainer so I can be sure I don't re-injure my knee.

I highly recommend physical therapy. It will reduce your recovery time and ensure proper rehabilitation. Best thing is to take your time and don't push it. YOu could easily make it worse.
R.I.P. 2LT Michael E. McGahan 1985-2010
"It's time to be immortal 'cause heroes never die!"

Return to Technique and Training