Hiking tips near Grenoble

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
Rick B

Hiking tips near Grenoble

by Rick B » Sun May 25, 2008 9:49 pm

Early june I'll be in Grenoble for a few days, attending a conference. Being this close to the alps I'd like to seize the oppurtunity to do a hike or two. The problem is that I'll be by public transportation, so I have no car. Does anyone have some good tips for dayhikes, close to Grenoble (starting from it?)? Thanks in advance!

no avatar
klk

by klk » Fri May 30, 2008 6:03 pm

Dude-- If you're going to be there, then rent a car. If you've already got an airline ticket, a car for a day or two is nothing. Rent the freakin car and drive into the alps. Pelvoux, Maije-- the area is gorgeous. If you have two days, drive to Ailefroide and stay one night in the Chalet-Hotel Ailefroide and spend some time bouldering and hiking--

the area has some of the best high country tours in the entire Alps.

Rick B

by Rick B » Sat May 31, 2008 8:26 pm

Yes I'm renting a car now! I know the Meije - Ecrins area quite well and it's great indeed. If the wheather is crap I can cycle up the Alpe d'Huez, see if I can beat my previous time :-)

The problem is now accomodation, I'm only a student so there's not much money to spend on hotels, and my tent is broken right now :(. In Grenoble there are hostels where I can spend the night cheaply, but not outside. Maybe I'll hike up to a hut, any tips for good sunrises etc? Glacier Blanc hut could be good...?

Rick B

by Rick B » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:52 pm

That chalet-hotel Ailefroide looked very nice and not too expensive, but it seems that they aren't open yet!

Return to Europe