Humphreys

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Great American Southwest. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Southwest US Climbing Partners section.
ExploreABitMore

Humphreys

by ExploreABitMore » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:48 pm

Hi,

Just curious of current conditions on Humphreys?

I'd prefer to go when most of the snow is melted, but wasn't sure how quick things melt out this way.

Was also curious about Navajo Mountain just across the borer in Utah.

Thanks!
g4b

lasvegaswraith

Re: Humphreys

by lasvegaswraith » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:21 am

Dunno about the actual snow coverage, but I heard the Snowbowl closed last weekend, so it's on it's way out. Here is a webcam from Bellemont W on the 40, if that helps... http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/fgz/webcam/latest_cam.php?wfo=fgz

The following user would like to thank lasvegaswraith for this post
ExploreABitMore

Alex Wood

by Alex Wood » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:59 am

Just skied fresh powder up there Thursday. Definitely a lot of snow still, especially in the trees (the Humphreys Peak Trail is all in the trees in the lower part). It is going to be awhile longer.

Here is a photo from Thursday Image

Navajo Mountain probably has some snow on it still. The storm that rolled through last week hit up north harder then down south

The following user would like to thank Alex Wood for this post
ExploreABitMore

ExploreABitMore

by ExploreABitMore » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:35 am

Thanks guys. Didn't expect to hear about that much snow. I won't be going until May now, so maybe the timing is good. Would prefer it be a bit more melted out

I probably bump the thread when it gets closer.

swankman07

by swankman07 » Mon May 13, 2013 4:00 pm

Was going to post my own inquiry so hope you don't mind my bumping the thread

I'm in the Flagstaff this coming weekend. From the webcam, it looks mostly free of snow, but its from a distance. I've read the warnings about the wind up there in May especially. Anyone know what conditions are like up to the summit? Much snow/ice left? Thanks!

no avatar
coldfoot

by coldfoot » Mon May 13, 2013 11:52 pm

swankman07 wrote:Was going to post my own inquiry so hope you don't mind my bumping the thread

I'm in the Flagstaff this coming weekend. From the webcam, it looks mostly free of snow, but its from a distance. I've read the warnings about the wind up there in May especially. Anyone know what conditions are like up to the summit? Much snow/ice left? Thanks!

Am not in Flagstaff, and have not been there since March. However, this year's SNOTEL snow depth vs time shows a similar melt-out time to last year (even though there was a little more snow this year), and last year I hiked Humphreys on May 21 in pretty much ideal conditions. So I'd say go for it. It could be windy, or not, but you can't really predict that more than a few days in advance.

The following user would like to thank coldfoot for this post
swankman07

swankman07

by swankman07 » Fri May 17, 2013 3:12 pm

coldfoot wrote:
swankman07 wrote:Was going to post my own inquiry so hope you don't mind my bumping the thread

Am not in Flagstaff, and have not been there since March. However, this year's SNOTEL snow depth vs time shows a similar melt-out time to last year (even though there was a little more snow this year), and last year I hiked Humphreys on May 21 in pretty much ideal conditions. So I'd say go for it. It could be windy, or not, but you can't really predict that more than a few days in advance.

Thanks for the info. Going for it tomorrow. Skies look good with Flagstaff winds around 15mph, which is probably much more up high. Will see how it goes and enjoy it either way.

Return to Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)