I need a pair of tough, quality sunglasses...

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
mirv

I need a pair of tough, quality sunglasses...

by mirv » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:54 am

I need a pair of tough, quality sunglasses that won't self destruct 3 months after I buy them because they're made for some semi-sedentary lifestyle that doesn't include all the abuse that I regularly dish out to my glasses. Any suggestions?
I've been using various multiple pairs of old style ray ban wayfarers for the last 2 decades and they have held up remarkably well, but the company was bought out by an Italian firm a few years back and now they have changed the way the glasses are made and they just don't hold up. The critical area that always breaks is in the hinge connection between the frame and the arms. The old style wayfarer that was made in America had a small steel plate that was riveted in two spots to both the arm and the frame. It also had a hinge design that was basically just like a door hinge with multiple interleaved flanges holding the arm and face together. When the glasses would age or get bruised up, it would usually involve the either the hinge pin or the rivets being broken. I was able to extend the life of these glasses merely by inserting a paper clip into whatever orifice was damaged and bending it around until it locked off. This way I was able to save an otherwise usable pair of glasses for many months or even years before they would finally die...
Now that the Italian company has taken over the ray ban brand they make a similar looking wayfarer model, but the hinge they have put on it is just totally weak, worthless, and unrepairable. I have used two different pairs of the newer wayfarers and have broken them both within 6 month, whereas old style wayfarers I could keep going for years by fixing them when necessary as they aged. So, I quit buying the newer models and have for the past few years been buying vintage wayfarers on ebay when I need a pair. The only problem is that they are getting not only scarcer, but way more expensive, so I am now looking for sunglasses that are both currently produced, quality, and tougher than hell.
Any ideas?

Autoxfil

by Autoxfil » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:40 pm

Oakley. Their O-mattter (nylon?) frames are very tough, and the arms will pop out without damage under sufficient stress. The optical quality consistently ranks #1, even ahead of brands like Maui Jim that claim to be all about the lenses.

I got some Monster Pups on Steep and Cheap for $40. It seems to be the best place for deals like that, but if you want a very specific style you might have to pay retail ($100-200).

Also, Native. Very tough designs, good warranty. Very few of their models fit my face, though.

My Julbos have held up well, and fit me decently. They are not as tough as the two above, but not bad. My Cap Horn GT keep backing the hinge screws out, but are still holding up. Also, they have shockingly high quality lenses considering when I buy them on clearance they're $25-40.

Ski Mountaineer

by Ski Mountaineer » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:36 pm

Julbo all the way

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:54 pm

Autoxfil wrote:Oakley. Their O-mattter (nylon?) frames are very tough, and the arms will pop out without damage under sufficient stress.

Lot of folks say they have a lifetime warranty, but I have not even trusted the postage cost to test many of those claims out. With Oakley I have. They have been 100%. I know they must realize there is no way their frames will stand up to the abuse I put them through, but never a question, just a new set of glasses every time pretty much. Sometimes they feel sorry and replace the lens for me. If you lose them, i.e. my wife's issue with glasses.... I guess you could send the box back empty, but they might not fall for that.

Alpinisto

by Alpinisto » Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:07 pm

Ski Mountaineer wrote:Julbo all the way

Julbo FTW.

MScholes

by MScholes » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:37 pm

I've used the same pair or Oakleys for 6+ years and they're still bomber. I take care of them yes, but they recieve a TON of abuse, and they do not scratch easily.

Up high I have a pair of Julbo Nomads that are simply fantastic as well, both glasses have their different uses and are both amazing in their respective categories.

no avatar
nhluhr

by nhluhr » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:37 pm

I have Oakley, Tifosi, Serfas, Julbo. The Oakley will last forever, save for maybe the finish getting worn. I just got a replacement set of rubber temple socks and nosepads for my 10 year old Oakley XX FMJ. Like new!

jpershke

snow?

by jpershke » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:03 pm

What is recommended if I have a day on snow?

Tonka

by Tonka » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:36 pm

Now don't laugh at me but I think Prada makes some of the best lenses. They hold up very well but I don't think they make sport glasses. I'm currently wearing Oakley (radar path) for my running, biking and hiking/climbing. They seem to hold up well but they are expensive. Maui Jim is making some new very light sport glasses but the lens is a little small. They are nice glasses though.

jpershke

by jpershke » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:29 pm

I just bought a pair of julbo nomad's at REI for $75. They have removable shields so you could use them for other things and are one of the few Cat. 4's I could find.

KMatos

Re: I need a pair of tough, quality sunglasses...

by KMatos » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:12 pm

This might be an old thread but I'm trying Maui Jim for the first time. The polarized quality is great! Really blocks the sunlight so you don't have to squint. These are extremely comfortable to wear and have the best lenses made. These are wonderful sunglasses and I highly recommend them.

norco17

Re: I need a pair of tough, quality sunglasses...

by norco17 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:28 am

Native works well for me.

Return to Gear